Vito's “Get Your Rear on the Record” contest time

Harry

Over the last several years, we have conducted an annual contest on the blog (or MGB as we sometimes refer to it) we like to call Get Your Rear on the Record.

The tradition was born out of the annoying exercise of watching UNT fans predict how the season would turn out and then have all those predictions end up being forgotten at the end of the year.

We dont forget here on the blog.

Its a fun exercise and a good way to get the pulse of UNT fans heading into the season. Plus it is an interactive way to get people involved with what we do on-line.

Read more and vote here: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/08/its-time-for-a-blog-tradition-the-get-your-rear-on-the-record-contest.html/

I just sent my SWAG to Brett. I went with 6 - 6, after taking into account everything I think I know at this point about the upcoming season. Wanted to be more optimistic like last year but I got scorched in the end by coming up three wins short. Protecting my rear this year so it doesn't get scorched again.

Edited by EagleMBA

I really don't know. I can very easily find 6 games on the schedule that we could, and probably should, win--Idaho; Tulane; (1 out of MUTS, La Tech, and Southern Miss); UTEP; and UT-San Antone. 8-4 definitely does not look out of the question, looking at that schedule. But with our recent history of disappointment and so many questions yet to be answered, 3-9 is not out of the question, either.

As I go through the schedule trying to assign Ws & Ls, I'm curious you guys' thoughts surrounding the Rice game.

Tougher schedule to prepare for a Thurs night game:

North Texas

10/26 AT Southern Miss

10/31 HOME for Rice

Rice

10/26 HOME for UTEP

10/31 AT North Texas

I think I'd rather host the Thurs night game even coming off a pretty long road trip 5 days prior.

Thoughts?

I don't buy the whole "brutal" schedule

Georgia , ok. Good chance they start out the season 1-3 this year. They return a damn good QB , but lost a ton of starting talent to the NFL. If anything , they should remind us of a K State team last year. We get them sandwhiched in between South Carolina & LSU. It's not like we will get their best effort or see everything they got

Ball St , Ohio. If we fear these types of teams then maybe we should just give up. Talking About teams that even Todd Dodge almost swept if not for a dropped TD catch. We even get the better team , BSU , at home

MTSU- a team who last season lost to FCS McNeese State. We get them at home. Last time they rolled into town we beat them 59-7

La Tech - great season last year , but lost just about everyone who was responsible for it. What better year to start facing them ?

Rice - decent team who won 7 games last , but only 1 of those were vs teams who had a winning record ( SMU 7-6). The Owls lost by 20 vs La Tech & to the not so power house Memphis Tigers. We get them at home on weeknight.

Tulsa- probably the best in confernce. By the time we play them , they may already have the division clinched. We get to play them at their place during Thanksgiving weekend. I don't think they will have a home field advantage. Place might not even be half full

The rest of the schedule ( UTSA , UTEP , Tulane , So Miss , Idaho ) went a combined 10-46 vs DI competition last season. 4 of those wins were by the Roadrunners

Edited by NT03

Agree 100%, NT03. I don't see our schedule as being any tougher than last year, really. OOC, we trade Texas Southern, LSU, K-State, and Houston for Idaho, Ball State, Ohio, and Georgia. 3 of these games are at least winnable, although we will probably only be favored in 1. Only 1 of those 4 (maybe 2, if you want to count Houston) was winnable last year. And with the obvious exception of Tulsa, I don't see our conference games as being any tougher than last year.

• Upvote 1

Ohio is a loss. That is a VERY good team that we play on the road. The only reason we have a chance against Ball St is because we have then at home. This is a much tougher non-conference schedule than most people think.

I am taking the Oldguy approach this year and just predicting good tailgating.

• Downvote 1

I have little fun being on the record if the prediction is 6-6. Not that it's a dramatic difference, but I went with 7-6.

6-5 heading to Tulsa and rallying to define our season & show win a very tough away game to secure a bowl birth.

I then think inexperience related to the bowl process will result in a December loss, but valuable momentum, coaching time, and exposure gained for this crew.