Good news and bad news out of #1 UNT scrimmage

Harry

So how did "Going bowling is magical." become "magic number" a reference to MLB baseball, that started when only a hand full of teams could make the playoffs.

Maybe it is me but the magic of the number fades once more than half league go? Why, because its not as special any more. Sure if you want to work what is a much more special term from MLB baseball to be used as FBS bowling eligibility yes I agree, but I feel it is a sad miss use of the term.

How you feel about the term and whether it is misused or not is up to you.

Original guy said 6 wins is magical. You took it as our fans have lowered expectations and think 6 wins is a magical season. I just offered you another perspective of what Big Dawg might've meant by magical 6 with my baseball reference. That's how I took it at least.

Technically 6 wins is the magic number for bowl eligibility and you can't argue that, whether you think the term is being misused or not.

• Upvote 1

6-6 just allows eligibility, and a long ways from the payoffs where in the old days only 4 teams in all of baseball made the payoffs. What is there 30+ bowl games now more than half of FBS goes to bowls these days.

Actually there were only two teams in MLB post-season until '69. I guess '69 doesn't quite seem like the olden days to me since I was alive at the time. As far as we're concerned, I won't be happy with anything under 7 wins. 6 wins with no bowl game would be frustrating as Hell.

Edited by foutsrouts

I mean you can try to argue a fact, but you aren't going to change it.

I am not sure there is anything fact about how people consider a loose sports term regarded as a MLB term trying to be applied to College football. but if there are those kind of facts we may consider that

Fact is its a considered a baseball term

Fact is there are 162 games in ML baseball making the count more meaningful to some.

Fact is many MBL fans regard the game as a game of numbers, hence magic number.

Fact I have all ways heard Football was a game of inches.

Fact that bothers me the most is after 2001 season the North Texas was used as an example and reason to have the .50 or better rule.

Fact just making the cut is not magical to me.

• Downvote 4

Just to clarify the chaos, I was referring to our "magic number" to reach bowl eligibility being 6 wins...

I in no way tried to lower the expectations of North Texas by implying 6 wins would be so magical we could hang our hats on it and tell our grand kids about the magical year we won 6 games.

Give me a damn break...can we fast forward to football season?

Actually there were only two teams in MLB post-season until '69. I guess '69 doesn't quite seem like the olden days to me since I was alive at the time. As far as we're concerned, I won't be happy with anything under 7 wins. 6 wins with no bowl game would be frustrating as Hell.

I did not realize that, so it was just straight to the world series?

I will stop arguing if we made 7 our magic number.

Edited by KingDL1

Just to clarify the chaos, I was referring to our "magic number" to reach bowl eligibility being 6 wins...

I in no way tried to lower the expectations of North Texas by implying 6 wins would be so magical we could hang our hats on it and tell our grand kids about the magical year we won 6 games.

I am just screwing around I been gone for a while and I am just working my passion back up.

That's what I thought you meant, see my posts before.

6 wins is very doable, especially with 6 home games and some winnable road games.

Isn't a magical season the season we go undefeated? Win a National Title? And if I was to qualify for us, finish the season ranked in the top ten in all the rankings?

6-6 is not even a winning season and in the stats it is listed with the losing seasons:

http://website.informer.com/visit?domain=cfbdatawarehouse.com

6-6 is only progress. That is all.

The problem is, we have lost so bad for so long that many here consider 6-6 worthy of a 10 year extension.

And why shouldn't they, when the BOR considers 4-8 worthy of a 5 year extension?

It is sad that we even can think 6 wins is magical

Tony, I'm counting on at least 6 wins or waking up one morning without having this Type 2 "D" thing and getting to go on a pizza eating binge OR........... treat myself to one of yours, Evans, Harry's, etc, etc, etc) world class brats on Game Day.

Wonder which of the aforementioned will come first? :)

We just have to win this Fall, fellers...there are no options (unless its a true, bonafide option QB of which I think we have at least one of those in camp even now).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I guess we have different ideas of magical, I simply expect a wining season. In our history we have had more winning seasons than losing still, think we should all expect it and demand it.

I count 50 winning seasons out of 99. If we have another losing record this year as predicted, we will end 100 years of football at 50-50.

I count 50 winning seasons out of 99. If we have another losing record this year as predicted, we will end 100 years of football at 50-50.

Kansas State U: Only 16 over. 500 seasons since 1960. Amazingly, caca seems to happen to other schools, too.

I will keep surfing the web, but I don't think KSU comes close to .500 in their last 100 years.

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/teams/ksst.shtml

Addendum:

This..............Kansas State 115 year football record:

1,116 games
465 wins
610 losses
41 ties
Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Someone pointed out on a different thread that we haven't actually played 100 seasons because there were some years without football due to WWII. Therefore, if you counted 50 wins, we are a few seasons over .500.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad