UNT’s players and coaches will be available to the media again tomorrow, so I should have some more info (video, a story and a blog or two) late tomorrow, but until then, here are a couple of interesting tidbits of note I have been holding to fill the dead day.

I am working on a series of stories for our annual football magazine and asked about one senior who will be featured.

Dan McCarney went on to mention two other seniors who have impressed so far in camp — cornerback Hilbert Jackson and defensive end Aaron Bellazin.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/08/wednesday-night-notes-2.html/

I'm often critical of Vito for demeaning the program. Usually, it was kicking Dodge again or praising Dickey; both of which have fallen into ancient history. But, I have to agree that Derricot was a pipe dream. If you don't offer, you don't get acceptance. Had we been one of only a few offerings we may have had a chance but when you're one of 20+ offerings and nearly all of them from Power 5 members, it does fall in the realm of a pipe dream. Still, if our name is out there continually as a contender it helps us become known.

• Upvote 4

“It is worth noting that one of the pipe dream, BCS-level guys came off the board today, though. Dvonta Derricott committed to Kansas State.”

Why does it seem like Vito likes making jabs at the program???

It is a BIG reach to think that we would get a guy like this. I am glad we offer, on the off chance one accepts, but those that think we should be drawing in #1 recruiting classes have always made me laugh a little.

...and while I draw in the -1's...I think Vito does a great job of being objective. HIs job is to back the program to a degree, and I think he is happy when we do well, but he isn't a homer, and it isn't his job to pump rainbows and sunshine up our collective rears all the time either.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It is a BIG reach to think that we would get a guy like this. I am glad we offer, on the off chance one accepts, but those that think we should be drawing in #1 recruiting classes have always made me laugh a little.

...and while I draw in the -1's...I think Vito does a great job of being objective. HIs job is to back the program to a degree, and I think he is happy when we do well, but he isn't a homer, and it isn't his job to pump rainbows and sunshine up our collective rears all the time either.

I agree, but the young man can't accept if we don't offer. I guess I don't consider it a pipe dream because you never know what motivates a young man to commit because there are many reasons.

• Upvote 1

I agree, but the young man can't accept if we don't offer. I guess I don't consider it a pipe dream because you never know what motivates a young man to commit because there are many reasons.

a 4-9 C-USA team, or a contender in the Big-12... it was a pipe dream.

Offer away, just don't be shocked when they go elsewhere, or worse, don't even acknowledge your offer.

You offer these guys if for no other reason than to tell everyone you are actually trying to recruit talent and then if something happens to him later that makes him unhappy at name-your-AQ-powerhouse, then maybe he remembers that and transfer to UNT to get a fresh start. It has happened a lot in football and basketball (see Tony Mitchell). I have no problem with Vito calling it what he did, but I have no problem at all with planting the seed in these recruits' minds that UNT wants them, too.