New Houston Cougar Stadium

Very nice stadium. I think they are using the Central Florida blueprint for the stadium. The goal is to get a new, 40,000 capacity stadium built. If it takes erector set and skin construction, so be it. Much like UCF did and bam!, UCF gets Texas for a game their first year.

Personally, I like Apogee. Add a deck to the student side should we need it. I don't think Houston will average 40K a game.

Good point, DG...I hardly think UT AD DeLoss Dodd after perusing Central Florida's new stadium back then would have ever said: "We can't schedule UCF, yall have an erector set stadium." :)

I think we would all agree the cosmetics of a stadium's look is important as it does seem to also create perceptions among the fickle'd fan masses, but I think if we sold out Apogee with 35,000 (counting standing room only) they could have built it with legos and none of us would have given a darn..

GMG!

PS: This lego football stadium has some great sponsors! :thumbsup:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

It's different. I like the look of it on the inside, skyline view is nice. I'm not a fan of the modern stuff going on outside of the stadium, but that's relatively minor. Also looks very underlandscaped?

• Upvote 1

I like the UH plan for lower bowl level club seats, and often wish Apogee club seats were lower. The party decks also sound good, whereas UNT has groups that party OUTSIDE Apogee during games. Also like that UH is building a bowl. In the updated UNT plan, I believe the wings come down when the north end seating gets expanded like a bowl.

• Upvote 1

I like the UH plan for lower bowl level club seats, and often wish Apogee club seats were lower. The party decks also sound good, whereas UNT has groups that party OUTSIDE Apogee during games. Also like that UH is building a bowl. In the updated UNT plan, I believe the wings come down when the north end seating gets expanded like a bowl.

Hey, rws69, we got the much covetted "knock out" accoustics with what we got from HKS architecs and Manhatten Construction so it worked out well for UNT. Coach Sumlin was a bit surprised himself with Apogee's accoustics and even made comment about how loud the crowd became. (Didn't he call at least 2 timeouts because of that crowd noise)? That same crowd at Fouts Field you would have thought you were at a Wednesday night prayer meeting it would have been so quiet.

I wonder how deep UH can actually dig because having grown up down there you can hit water pretty quickly in some places down on the Gulf Coast.

I concur with another poster who said we could not build Apogee today with all its concrete and bricks for less than $100 million and am shocked UH is only spending $105 million for their's if those figures actually hold out.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Hey, rws69, we got the much covetted "knock out" accoustics with what we got from HKS architecs and Manhatten Construction so it worked out well for UNT. Coach Sumlin was a bit surprised himself with Apogee's accoustics and even made comment about how loud the crowd became. (Didn't he call at least 2 timeouts because of that crowd noise)?

I remember that, and I think UH burned a timeout or two because of noise. If we can draw that kind of crowd to Apogee every game, we will have an awesome home field advantage.

• Upvote 1

I can't leave you guys alone for a couple of days without my name or UH being brought up. *cracks knuckles* Time to get to work then.

I'm glad to see you guys like our new stadium, this is the same company that built Apogee so I assume our administration was impressed by the job they did in Denton and decided to hire them in Houston. I'm not sure who we're going to get to ope our stadium but word has it that may be a Big 12, PAC or SEC team.

Don't see how this is an erector set style stadium? It's concrete on grade and precast concrete for the upper bowl. Exterior was designed to allow for air flow through out the concourse and field. Congrats on apogee being just an over glorified version of a high school stadium in allen, tx. They prob have better attendance as well.

Leave the UNT attacking to the professionals.

Does it have a basement? Will they serve meat loaf?

Will there be tutors there?

Since when did Napoleon Dynamite go to UNT?

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I can't leave you guys alone for a couple of days without my name or UH being brought up. *cracks knuckles* Time to get to work then.

I'm glad to see you guys like our new stadium, this is the same company that built Apogee so I assume our administration was impressed by the job they did in Denton and decided to hire them in Houston. I'm not sure who we're going to get to ope our stadium but word has it that may be a Big 12, PAC or SEC team.

It looks like houston is currently scheduled to open the stadium against UTSA in 2014? What a waste if thats true.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

The Wing Zone is NOT coming down under any future expansion plan laid by HKS or Manhattan It's the trademark of the stadium and a huge reason why Apogee holds noise. Expansion is upper deck student side.

The bridge's roof and the logo is proof. In addition to the original expansion plans.

It'd be pretty clever if y'all had UTSA at home to open, because then y'all would sell out the game.

Still think they should put y'all in the Astrodome with no renovations and treat you like Houston's version of Ned Snow.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2

And Cougar Queen has a pretty high opinion of herself. She doesn't realize that nobody is really concerned about a UNT dropout's opinion. But man, the UH trolls are quite obsessed with UNT. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

It's kind of like GMG.com's obsession with SMU, but way more extreme.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

Congrats on apogee being just an over glorified version of a high school stadium in allen, tx. They prob have better attendance as well.

Similar in cost only. I've been to games at both stadiums. The Allen stadium is not your typical high school stadium, but it still doesn't come close to Apogee. Apogee was a steal.

• Upvote 1

Don't see how this is an erector set style stadium? It's concrete on grade and precast concrete for the upper bowl. Exterior was designed to allow for air flow through out the concourse and field. Congrats on apogee being just an over glorified version of a high school stadium in allen, tx. They prob have better attendance as well.

Similar in cost only. I've been to games at both stadiums. The Allen stadium is not your typical high school stadium, but it still doesn't come close to Apogee. Apogee was a steal.

Not to mention Apogee was built before the Allen stadium. Timeline fail

I don't think that Cougarqueen or Kool Aid Man will make it out of their basements to see the new stadium.

...In every conceivable way.

Go on....

I really like the stadium. It fits in with the modern architecture that UH has going on around campus.

My senior year at UNT we got Apogee and my 3L year at UHLC we will get this stadium. I think I'm a good luck charm.

ETA- as far as UH trolls go, Cougar King > ohyeah and it's not even close.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle