Encouraging spring helps UNT look ahead to football

Harry

Revisionist history.

DT's pick six did NOT cost us that game. We were still up by 3 after that pick six.

The coaching staff cost us that game by refusing to throw another pass THE REST OF THE SEASON after that pick six.

They told DT in no uncertain terms that they did not trust him to win a football game. Terrible coaching.

Do people on this site really think we will go away from running the ball more than 70% of the time on 1st down with DT as the starter? Do people really think that the coaching staff will magically trust DT more because he has lost 15 pounds?

The coaching action in that WKU game speaks volumes about how this staff views DT. Yes, they will say all the right things about opening up the offense and how things will be different this year. Talk is cheap, and coach speak is the cheapest form of talk. If DT is the starter, we will see the same offense as last year.

And this is not a swipe at DT at all. He can only do what he is allowed to do. When you only pass when EVERYONE in the stadium knows you are going to pass, it's a recipe for failure, no latter who is QB.

BB has not stepped up and doesn't appear to be ready to start. That is a very bad thing for this program and an ominous sign for the upcoming season.

We were up by 7 after the pick six. We lost the game by 1 point. The momentum was totally on our side as we were up by 14 with 12 to go. The pick six not only gave them 7 pts it gave WKU life. If we would have punted and gave them a long field there is a good chance we would have won the game considering at that point they had scored 10 pts on our d in over 3 quarters.

You sure do seem to know an awful lot about DT. Much more than the average fan, including how much time it takes him to get to the bus and how bad he felt after the WKU game. You are far from an unbiased truthful poster which leads me to believe that you in some way shape or form you either personally know him or are related to him. For you to blame receivers for quitting on their routes shows that you know little to nothing about football. Nobody quits on their route and if they do thats a major coaching issue because the player should not be playing. If there is a problem it would be the player ran the wrong route, got jammed or collisioned off their route, or ran their route to deep or short. WKU scored 18 pts on our defense and that is not good enough? They turned WKU over 3 times thats not good enough? The bottom line is we were up by 14 with 12 to go and he threw a telegraphed pass in the flat and the safety from WKU jumped the route and scored. After that play we lost any trust we had in DT (which was very little to start with) and tried to unsuccessfully run out the clock. Nobody cares how bad he felt or if they asked him to lose weight or how much everyone likes him, that isnt going to win us any games. All we want is wins.

Since DallasGreen was registered on this website 7 years before DT arrived at UNT, I would say you are way off base.

• Upvote 1

That has nothing to do with whether he personally knows him or not.

It tells us that they aren't related, as you suggested, unless DT was such a stud as an 11 year old that he registered on this website 7 years preemptively in hopes that DT would get a scholarship here so he could toot his horn. Maybe he does know hom or maybe he just wants the team to do well.

It tells us that they aren't related, as you suggested, unless DT was such a stud as an 11 year old that he registered on this website 7 years preemptively in hopes that DT would get a scholarship here so he could toot his horn. Maybe he does know hom or maybe he just wants the team to do well.

I said I believe that he is related to him OR personally knows him, which judging off the what he has said there is a good chance its one or the other.

The game ends an evaluation period of players in a football program trying to shed the stink of a culture shaped by a dismal recent past.

Believe me, our culture was set long before even Hayden Fry arrived. And even though it took a brief hiatus while he was here, it returned shortly after he left.

There was nothing wrong with our culture in the late 60's with Joe Greene etc. I liked our culture in the late 50's under Odus Mitchell, Jack Sisco's culture in the 30's was just fine. I would have to do some research to assess our culture before that, but a positive culture follows winning just as sure as the turning of this earth.

I am not related to DT. I have met him several times as well as having him as a friend on Facebook. I have met his parents at a tailgate once. I get my info by networking and reading the athletic dept.board. I also have met Brandon Byrd, Marcus Trice, and Brelan Chancellor at a fund raiser in Lewisville this spring. All four are fine representatives of UNT, and they believe in each other. As far as Mac playing close to the vest I agree but in talking with Coach Canales it was not the coaches' who lost confidence in DT it was DT who lost confidence in himself. Probably he lost confidence because of the constant bitching of some fans.Give the guy his chance to compete as a senior and a captain. If BB wins the job fine, but never insinuate that DT is not giving all he has for this team and is not trying to improve this spring. BB should not be anointed till he proves he deserves to be a starter. Until I see him play in a game with the likes of KSU, LSU, or AL I'll take a proven QB over one that has never even taken a D-1 snap any day.

There was nothing wrong with our culture in the late 60's with Joe Greene etc. I liked our culture in the late 50's under Odus Mitchell, Jack Sisco's culture in the 30's was ju st fine. I would have to do some research to assess our culture before that, but a positive culture follows winning just as sure as the turning of this earth.

You are talking about some individual teams and coaches, I'm talking about the "program".

Yes, those teams you listed did win. But did anything develop out of those winning seasons like expanding the financial support for the athletic programs by the administration, or the formation of financial support systems like the "mean green club"? The answer is no...not only no, but HELL NO.

And THAT was cultural.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

Two touchdown passes against LSU, the best percentage of completions in years against KSU, ranked in the top ten of North Texas QBs ever, led the only win in the history of the program at Troy in 2011, and a two year captain and starter. I' d say that trumps no stats but those from a private school in CO against very suspect competition. In looking at BBs signing day film some of those receivers were so open that I could have hit them. Note that they were all Lilly white as well. I in No way am saying BB is not a quality QB, but let the competition prove that he is

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Two touchdown passes against LSU, the best percentage of completions in years against KSU, ranked in the top ten of North Texas QBs ever, led the only win in the history of the program at Troy in 2011, and a two year captain and starter. I' d say that trumps no stats but those from a private school in CO against very suspect competition. In looking at BBs signing day film some of those receivers were so open that I could have hit them. Note that they were all Lilly white as well. I in No way am saying BB is not a quality QB, but let the competition prove that he is

Well, that's quite the resume you've put together there. I mean, WOW!

**PS: What metric are you using to decide he is a top 10 all-time QB at UNT??? :blink: **

• Upvote 1

I just hope whoever wins the QB job in the Fall will also win the privilege of personally sliding the knife between the rib-cage of the loser. It's become quite obvious to me that we can't handle a team with both Thompson and Berglund, so the loser will have to be sacrificed to appease the fan base as the only way of assuring a successful season.

• Upvote 2

I just hope whoever wins the QB job in the Fall will also win the privilege of personally sliding the knife between the rib-cage of the loser. It's become quite obvious to me that we can't handle a team with both Thompson and Berglund, so the loser will have to be sacrificed to appease the fan base as the only way of assuring a successful season.

What about McNulty? Can he live while either Thompson or Berglund are also alive? I think we all know the answer. :sick0004:

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

I predict that we'll be better this year no matter who is starting at QB. The defense alone will see to that. We're still not going to be a 9+ win team with either Berglund or DT, so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Both of those guys are capable of winning and losing games. Berglund is not the second coming of Johnny Manziel. Never was going to be. Settle down. The entire team is getting better. We have to have a QB step up eventually to reach that next level, but Mac has raised the level of play almost everywhere else.

The basketball team's collapse has overwhelmed our fanbase's collective psyche with regard to all things UNT.

• Upvote 1

BB will get over his hamstring and the pressure will be on DT come fall camp. The best players will play come fall, if it's DT, fans must prepare for sphincter lock.

Let's not be naive about this, BB came to NT for a reason. The coaches recruited him because they want him to be the QB here. DT's had his time and shown his ability as a bottom rung Sun Belt QB. Of course he'll show improvement next year, but that's expected as a player matures and notches another year in his belt. So are we expecting the rest of the conference to remain stagnant and not improve?? Only DT will?

Bottom line, we should want & pray for BB to win the QB spot. It will prove NT has unquestionably upped the play at the position.

And I always go back to what Herm Edwards said about him benching Testaverde for a young Chad Pennington. You can't change the whole team, you can't bench the whole team. But making a change at the most important position on the field makes all the difference in the world.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2

If DT starts, this is just the same ol' NT. Playing it safe. 5-7 is good enough to say "we have potential". BB will leave if DT starts the whole season.

If he leaves to another FBS school he would have to sit another year and then have one year to play. I don't see him leaving when he has a great chance to start for at least two seasons. Two seasons is better than one.

I still don't get how having a hamstring injuries equals "dogging it" or "not stepping up."

When he has been healthy he has not been good. Vito commented on him throwing a terrible interception in scrimmage the other day.

The fact that he has not even passed McNulty, much less DT, in Speing practice is very bad for this program.

But bury that head deeper if you want.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

When he has been healthy he has not been good. Vito commented on him throwing a terrible interception in scrimmage the other day.

The fact that he has not even passed McNulty, much less DT, in Speing practice is very bad for this program.

But bury that head deeper if you want.

90, Brock has had the hamstring injury since the end of winter workouts. He injured it in the "olympics" that the team did to end the workouts, which was before spring training of course. So, in fairness, he has not been 100%.

• Upvote 1