Tulsa Out, WKU In ?

MeanGreen61

In the end, the only thing all this realignment has accomplished is to kill the WAC and give a change of jersey patch to everyone else.

Also sends poor Idaho to football purgatory... and eventually to D1-AA. NMSU will also need to find a landing spot.

I still like where we are better than where we were. The luster is fading, but it's still better than where we were (well, I guess technically "still are").

Che sera, sera. This rankles us all but there's no sense of moping over the Hurricanes. It's their choice. I believe that they made a bad one but it's their money. I have doubts that the new conference will improve their attendance or recruiting to any great extent and keeping the private schools together is way overrated. Will anyone bet the farm that Navy keeps their commitment in 2014? And, what if Cincinnati and/or Connecticut leave? The grass is always greener over the septic tank.

Now, as to their replacement. Who does WKU know that Louisiana does not? The Cajuns hold the lead on market, facilities, time in grade, attendance, accessibility, commitment; and the list goes on. Western has better basketball and swimming and that's about it. Yet, most everyone seems to speak as if it's no contest and a done deal.

It may take ten years or more but I believe that the teams left will outperform the defectors in football and baseball. Of course, that depends on the makeup and staying power of the two conferences. I think that the members of CUSA in 2014 and beyond are committed to excellence and will overachieve.

Che sera, sera. This rankles us all but there's no sense of moping over the Hurricanes. It's their choice. I believe that they made a bad one but it's their money. I have doubts that the new conference will improve their attendance or recruiting to any great extent and keeping the private schools together is way overrated. Will anyone bet the farm that Navy keeps their commitment in 2014? And, what if Cincinnati and/or Connecticut leave? The grass is always greener over the septic tank.

Now, as to their replacement. Who does WKU know that Louisiana does not? The Cajuns hold the lead on market, facilities, time in grade, attendance, accessibility, commitment; and the list goes on. Western has better basketball and swimming and that's about it. Yet, most everyone seems to speak as if it's no contest and a done deal.

It may take ten years or more but I believe that the teams left will outperform the defectors in football and baseball. Of course, that depends on the makeup and staying power of the two conferences. I think that the members of CUSA in 2014 and beyond are committed to excellence and will overachieve.

I vote for Cajuns.......please.

• Upvote 3

Basically all we have done is get out (almost) of the lowest rated/least respected conference in college football to a conference that is soaking up just about every team from that lowest rated/least respected conference.

CUSA will be 1A to the Belt's 1 when it comes to least respected conferences.

What is kinda funny is that La. Tech turned their nose up at the Belt every chance they got, and now they are sitting right in the middle of it, minus ULM and LaLa, which I guess is what matters to La. Tech.

We should be doing everything we can to get into the MWC. We won't, but we should be.

You know, those travel expenses just cost too much for little ole UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

That ship already sailed. 8 of 14 are former Sun Belt.

No doubt , which is we should be doing everything possible to get into the MWC, even though I doubt they would have us.

The one thing we have is a large market in Texas to offer. I know, no one watches UNT games, but for some reason, that never seems to matter.

We should be forging an alliance with UTEP to get to the MWC.

But, like I said, we are more concerned with the bottom line than succeeding in athletics, so I doubt we have even looked into it.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

UNT90, on 23 Mar 2013 - 20:07, said:

Basically all we have done is get out (almost) of the lowest rated/least respected conference in college football to a conference that is soaking up just about every team from that lowest rated/least respected conference.

The most optimistic thing I can say is that basically, all we have done is escape the clutches of Karl Benson. Mark it. In five years, the Sun Belt stops sponsoring football altogether. I don't think we've ended up with anything in the way of conference improvement in the long run except that I expect CUSA to be a full up and running football conference in 10 years while the Sun Belt absorbs UT Arlington.

No doubt , which is we should be doing everything possible to get into the MWC, even though I doubt they would have us.

The one thing we have is a large market in Texas to offer. I know, no one watches UNT games, but for some reason, that never seems to matter.

We should be forging an alliance with UTEP to get to the MWC.

But, like I said, we are more concerned with the bottom line than succeeding in athletics, so I doubt we have even looked into it.

I can't imagine MWC adding anyone unless they lose someone. ASU and UL were getting hot and heavy with MWC until Boise came back. General consensus is they are at 12 unless BYU chooses to return.

The most optimistic thing I can say is that basically, all we have done is escape the clutches of Karl Benson. Mark it. In five years, the Sun Belt stops sponsoring football altogether. I don't think we've ended up with anything in the way of conference improvement in the long run except that I expect CUSA to be a full up and running football conference in 10 years while the Sun Belt absorbs UT Arlington.

Sun Belt won't go out of the football business unless former Big East splits East/West into two new leagues or CUSA splits east/west to form two leagues. Otherwise the numbers will always be there for the Sun Belt.