DRC: Mitchell felt like it was right time to go

Brett Vito

Using one anecdotal example proves nothing. You do not know how this situation went down, and even if it went down the way you believe what does it prove? That is like flipping a coin and it lands on heads so you believe it will always land on heads. In the great scheme of things one example does not outweigh the 15 young men we have on the team right now.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

Using one anecdotal example proves nothing. You do not know how this situation went down, and even if it went down the way you believe what does it prove? That is like flipping a coin and it lands on heads so you believe it will always land on heads. In the great scheme of things one example does not outweigh the 15 young men we have on the team right now.

This is a double headed coin, buddy.

• Upvote 2

That's right NT90 does not care if we don't graduate men. He rather win 20 games and have our players end up in jail 10 years from now or jobless and broke. The alumni on here make me sick. They are student athletes. Benford held them to a standard they had never been held to before. He asked them to handle their business in the classroom and make sure they have a future when basketball is done. There are players on the team with babies and he knows from experience that they need to grow up because basketball is not everything. You people are miserable and negative human beings. I am ashamed to have graduated from a University with alumni Iike this. I rather win 6 games a year and have our players grow into productive citizens in our country. I guess some people rather win confrence championships and then write our players off and not give them a future. Best case scenario you do both, but Benford saw that things needed to be changed in these young mens lives and he stepped in and was lie a father to them. If I were Tony Mitchell I would not give a dime to a University supported by such miserable human beings. Tony meant every word he said, but haters are going to hate. He should write off this university just based off of the stupidity written above.If this coaching staff is, indeed, putting character, school and responsibility before immediately winning games then I am behind them 100% I hope you are right on this Andrew. Time will tell.

Using 10 years of anecdotal evidence proves nothing.

I never said JJ had any of these problems but you never know what the situation could be if we had another coach. In general I want a coach who creates productive young men. Winning is also nice, but we will have plenty of that next season. And you are not following.... We have 15 players on this team how is using Trey (one player) a good argument? So it happens about 6% of the time. I can live with that.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I never said JJ had any of these problems but you never know what the situation could be if we had another coach. In general I want a coach who creates productive young men. Winning is also nice, but we will have plenty of that next season. And you are not following.... We have 15 players on this team how is using Trey (one player) a good argument? So it happens about 6% of the time. I can live with that.

One, I'm not arguing with you. I'm mocking you and undermining the hypothetical values and priorities you ascribe to our coach by pointing out how he's actually acted when faced with hard choices on ethics and morality in how he runs our program.

Two, live with whatever you want to live with. Other than using you as a springboard for jokes and comedy, I don't care what you do, say, or think, so long as you obey the forum rules.

One, I'm not arguing with you. I'm mocking you and undermining the hypothetical values and priorities you ascribe to our coach by pointing out how he's actually acted when faced with hard choices on ethics and morality in how he runs our program.

Two, live with whatever you want to live with. Other than using you as a springboard for jokes and comedy, I don't care what you do, say, or think, so long as you never call me again.

Coincidentally this is the same line muttered by every woman Skandrew has ever slept with.

We have seen this horror movie before--it sounds like we are in sequel 3.

"Trilli has lots of enthusiasm and cares so much about the kids--way more than Jankovich ever did."

"Dodge wants to make these men better husbands and fathers. Look, he doesn't even allow cussing on the sidelines."

"Benford actually cares for these guys--he often asks us "Who is gonna feed your babies?" He wants us to be responsible..."

Combined records of these three: 38 wins, 144 losses, winning percentage of .208

Combined records of their predecessors: (Jankovich, Dickey, and Johnny Jones) 285 wins, 267 losses, winning percentage of .516

Record for producing good citizens, husbands, and fathers from these three: 100%

Record for the above stat from the predecessors: apparently much worse...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

These arguments are mainly stupid and inane. Having a college degree (especially in some of the majors athletes choose) doesn't gaurantee that you won't end up in jail, jobless, or broke. White collar crime exists as well. People with degree make poor career choices, too.

The problem here is the assumption that you can't have both (1) a winning athletic department, and (2) kids who take care of business of the field of play. It can be done.

Our problem here is the same as always - our highest visability athletic programs lose. We have very few stretches of success. Darrell Dickey had the first real D-I stretch since Hayden Fry. Johnny Jones had a stetch that also hadn't been seen since the 70s at this level.

As long as the coaches aren't hiding child rapists, I'm pretty happy. It would be nice if we could win a few games as well. However, we are North Texas, and coaches are not often held accountable for losing.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

Character building is almost always portrayed as a problem with the gone and an asset with the current.

I expect any coach at any level to use sports as an opportunity to emphasize and teach life values. I also expect a college coach to ensure that their athletes get every opportunity to get a quality education.

Most current college coaches fulfill these basic obligations, but they are hired to win not educate. There is a strong correlation between the need to discuss character and the number of loses a coach has.

Does anyone really think that Benford or McCarney are more interested in the athletes well being than Jones and Dodge? Better, yet: does anyone care? As far as I can tell, all cared about their athletes and all were portrayed as being better friends to the athlete than their predecessors.

The truth is coaches understand that they are there to win, other aspects of their performance are important but not likely to get them fired nearly as fast. Coaches despite what they may present, are not all that altruistic. Poor players are weeded out and there are double standards based on the value of an athlete.

• Upvote 1

Just admit the very obvious, that you changed your screen name, and it will put it to rest. Kinda hurts your credibility just a tad.

Ya, we all know what college is about, and many other colleges managed to raise good fathers and husbands without destroying a program.

Here is a little prediction to put in your pipe and smoke. When Benfotd is let go 3 years from now, the next coach will come in and tell all of us how terrible the academics are and how he had to mold the young men his first year. It's called an excuse for losing/coach speak.

Don't believe me? Just look at the Dodge-Mac situation. Dodge was said to be raising fine fathers and hisbands, gets fired, Mac gets hired and immediately decries the academic problems in the program.

If one of you wanna be naive, feel free, but don't expect me to join you.

I tried to quote only a portion of your statement but for some reason I was unable to edit your post. Who said that Dodge was raising fine fathers and husbands? Are you saying that there were not academic problems that Mac inherited?

Have you ever entertained the possibility that you may be naive regarding the situations that both Mac and Benford inherited?

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1