Is UNT "One Player Away" ?

UNTDude

Again, my worry is not the line. My worry is actual production. We scored 20.9 points per game, #105 in FBS.

Precisely. We have 3 returning starters and 1 guy who saw significant time last year in LaChris.

O-Line was probably the best unit last year. They'll likely be the best unit again this year. I'm not looking for improvements on the O-Line to put the Mean Green over the top this year. The other units need to step up to the O-line's level.

• Upvote 2

We outgained them 422-382 yards that game. Problem was when we got down to the red zone, where the throwing windows are tight, we couldn't score and our kickers were 0-3. Also our quarterback was 12-28 that game.

It wasn't just the Troy game; it was like that all year. I looked at the scoring vs. the yards gained for the 14 teams that will be in CUSA next year and we were 13th in scoring. Our yardage wasn't terrible and our time of possession was good but we couldn't score touchdowns. We averaged a td once every 27.5 plays. That was the same as 3-9 FAU. The only ones that were worse were 3-9 UTEP (28.7), 2-10 Tulane (31.4) and 0-12 Southern Miss (30.4). La Tech scored every 13.2 plays but they were exceptional. Basically, we were just pathetic in the red zone. Yes, it sucks to come away empty when a field goal is missed but we were forced to rely on that too many times.

• Upvote 2

I think you've got it backwards here. We need a threat of an effective passing game to take the pressure off of the run game. Teams loaded up the box last year and dared us to throw. Either Thompson's lack of accuracy or our WR's inability to run a proper route, probably a little of both, killed us.

it works both ways honestly

they stack the box with 8 you have 1on1 coverage and can take advantage with rub routes and double moves

both work hand and hand!! we have a decent run game so it will hopefully open up our passing game

• Upvote 1

it works both ways honestly

they stack the box with 8 you have 1on1 coverage and can take advantage with rub routes and double moves

both work hand and hand!! we have a decent run game so it will hopefully open up our passing game

Do you believe that a change in style of QB play will change the offensive philosophy? Example, will a dual threat fast and mobile QB change it from a square-peg-round-hole run-with-3-tightends against 8 and 9 men in the box defenses....to a spread?

Because with this coaching staff, from what I've seen and heard, I don't believe it will. Just my opinion.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It wasn't just the Troy game; it was like that all year. I looked at the scoring vs. the yards gained for the 14 teams that will be in CUSA next year and we were 13th in scoring. Our yardage wasn't terrible and our time of possession was good but we couldn't score touchdowns. We averaged a td once every 27.5 plays. That was the same as 3-9 FAU. The only ones that were worse were 3-9 UTEP (28.7), 2-10 Tulane (31.4) and 0-12 Southern Miss (30.4). La Tech scored every 13.2 plays but they were exceptional. Basically, we were just pathetic in the red zone. Yes, it sucks to come away empty when a field goal is missed but we were forced to rely on that too many times.

Yep, by the time the LaLa game rolled around, every time we made a big play that ended up inside the 20 I would be going "crap! we're screwed now!".

The red zone is where you really find out how good your o-line is (punching it in), or how good the timing is between your QB and his receivers (out patterns and over the middle), OR how good of a touch the QB has on the ball (fade patterns). In other words, you can pull off some lucky plays outside the 20, but you had better have it together in all of the areas I listed above when you get in the red zone.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This is the year folks. Bank on it.

I think your right. The O line is DEEP with a stable of good running backs and a qb who can flat out run.

The D should have some depth with 7 red shirt D linemen add in. Finally getting back up to 85 scholarship players this fall helps a ton.

The fact that this question is even being asked speaks volumes.

Yup. The throwing windows are tight in the red zone and DT couldn't complete the passes in the red zone all year.

Also, Byrd could not score in the red zone. For a "power back" he didn't score a single touchdown in the red zone last year against FBS opponents. Jimmerson gets in the endzone, so we need to see more of him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yup. The throwing windows are tight in the red zone and DT couldn't complete the passes in the red zone all year.

Also, Byrd could not score in the red zone. For a "power back" he didn't score a single touchdown in the red zone last year against FBS opponents. Jimmerson gets in the endzone, so we need to see more of him.

That's because he doesn't have much in the way of vision. You point him in a certain direction and that's where he goes. If there is an opening then he gets very good yardage. If not, he runs up the back of the O-lineman or losses a one-on-one battle with a d-lineman. Jimmerson has excellent vision, and that makes a difference in the red zone when the "tolerances" get smaller and smaller.

It makes me very uncomfortable when we go on and on about how we seem to have it made in a certain area. In this case the O-line and RB. It's the only time I get superstitious...... :ermm:

I agree. Four hours before the game put a rabbit's foot in your left front pocket, a 4 leaf clover in your right shoe, and wear unwashed mismatched socks.

That's because he doesn't have much in the way of vision. You point him in a certain direction and that's where he goes. If there is an opening then he gets very good yardage. If not, he runs up the back of the O-lineman or losses a one-on-one battle with a d-lineman. Jimmerson has excellent vision, and that makes a difference in the red zone when the "tolerances" get smaller and smaller.

Absolutely. I think Jimmerson has to get more touches this year. He makes our offense much more dynamic.

Do you believe that a change in style of QB play will change the offensive philosophy? Example, will a dual threat fast and mobile QB change it from a square-peg-round-hole run-with-3-tightends against 8 and 9 men in the box defenses....to a spread?

Because with this coaching staff, from what I've seen and heard, I don't believe it will. Just my opinion.

Rick

I dont think we will go to a spread at all. But there hopefully will be some designed Boot legs. Some roll out passes were the option to run is available.

Having an athletic QB is a plus. Everybody is covered, by some time and scramble!! so i dont see UNT going to a spread maybe the texas spread some time with a TE in the game but i wouldnt count on it...

I dont think we will go to a spread at all. But there hopefully will be some designed Boot legs. Some roll out passes were the option to run is available.

Having an athletic QB is a plus. Everybody is covered, by some time and scramble!! so i dont see UNT going to a spread maybe the texas spread some time with a TE in the game but i wouldnt count on it...

Forget the spread.

Canales' offense was clicking when he had Dunbar and Riley running the zone read. Obviously DT can't run that... but Brock can. I bet coach Mac would like to add that wrinkle to his offense since he won a national championship running it at Florida.

• Upvote 1

Forget the spread.

Canales' offense was clicking when he had Dunbar and Riley running the zone read. Obviously DT can't run that... but Brock can. I bet coach Mac would like to add that wrinkle to his offense since he won a national championship running it at Florida.

Im thinking the same thing. We have more playmakers at RB and a good offensive line

going to a spread will not be playing to our strength

• Upvote 1

We may or may not see the spread.

I'm sure the first thing we'll see is subtle changes, one or two new packages. Just so the players and coaches can get a feel for it all and what works.

I think if any drastic looking changes are lined up, it is only a change-of-pace thing to throw at the defense.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what we can pull off with a mobile QB such as Brock lining up behind a line with two TEs.

I dont think we will go to a spread at all.

Then if we don't we will never see an upset over a good power conference team and/or most likely a CUSA championship.

No mid major that I can ever think of rammed it down a good Big 6 team's throats...and won. We didnt see Boise do it against ZeroU in the Fiesta Bowl, or App State against Michigan....etc....

The spread and forms of it is the only equalizer we have to hope for in order to do that. And we need to do that, to upset someone, to get us out of the recruiting, donations and attendance toilet we currently find ourselves in.

As it is now, we will probably stay with what we got, which is the same style ISU fans who have posted here before, say Mac used during his time there.

Oh well, here's hoping something changes.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Didn't Dodge try that same concept with the spread??

You have to have the athletes/speed in order to run the spread in college.

Dodge's offense was good, but couldn't sustain drives by doing stupid crap like going for third or a fourth and an inch by running draws from 5 yards deep. That quizzical D'assery cost him three games alone right there. He also never utilized the tightend and over utilized the short out routes.

But most of all he completely ignored DEFENSE. In doing so, he even went so far as to prepare for his first season by refusing to allow full contact during two-a-day game situations.

When you score 68 points against Navy...and still lose, your offense is your least of worries.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Didn't Dodge try that same concept with the spread??

You have to have the athletes/speed in order to run the spread in college.

The spread is an equalizer. It gives inferior talent the chance to compete with superior talent. Mike Leach didn't bring talent into Lubbock comparable to what they were bringing into Austin or even College Station. . . . Yet he got them to the point of being the most successful team in Texas.

Appy State beat Michigan with a spread offense. You could go through example after example.

It's when you've got the hosses and the speed that you can line up in a pro set. Otherwise, you have to find innovative ways to give yourself a chance to win, and that's what the spread did.