Practice facility update

oldguystudent

baseball...what a waste of money. spend that cash on football! we shouldn't be adding sports until we've got an indoor facility and we're paying coaches like we're big time. instead, we'll be funding a non-revenue sport with what little resources we have. donors may be funding the start up for baseball, but will they be covering the total expenses every year? doubtful. football first

I strongly disagree.

I think baseball could become a feather-in-the-cap sport for our athletic department VERY QUICKLY, like soccer (ugh, it pains me to only mention the soccer ladies, as I used to mention them as a pair with men's b-ball in this context... but I digress). Especially if we build a baseball stadium up to Apogee's standards.

Am I safe in assuming you disagree that we need an indoor football facility?

As pointed out previously, the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. By adding baseball, we are bringing new donors into the fold.

speaking of Title IX, anyone care to guess which women's sport we'll be adding? or might we be thinking about cutting a men's sport? I'm definitely curious to know. forevereagle might get his wish and it could be golf, track and field, or cross country. i sure hope not

We are more than covered for Title IX already.

are we bringing new donors into the fold? or are you referring to potential future donors? I had assumed (yes, i know what they say about assuming) that the donors who are stepping up for baseball are already current big time donors. that's awesome if the baseball donors are new, though! i take back my reservations if baseball is being completely funded by a new source.

thanks for the info regarding Title IX. that's good to know. would hate to see us lose a sport..

also, isn't it a bit sad that our topic over the bball practice facility has turned into a baseball conversation? last thoughts for the post: it doesn't matter now whether I think baseball is a wise move or not...apparently it is coming soon from things i've SIAP. the boys of spring will have my full support when that time comes. I will still continue to feel like we're not going as far as we should with football, though. ie indoor facility, more support staff, better home match-ups for the fans, sicker uniforms, better travel arrangements for the athletes...

that's awesome if the baseball donors are new, though! i take back my reservations if baseball is being completely funded by a new source.

No, I am sure that baseball is not being completely funded by new donors. And I am not in the know enough to tell you who all are the primary financial backers of this; even if I did, I wouldn't be inclined to post it here. Probably most of them have donated to UNT in other capacities previously. But your previous post almost seemed to assume that every penny that is going to baseball would have been directed to football, and that's surely not the case.

who needs em?? WE kinda NEED tennis, swimming and diving, soccer, softball, and volleyball...there's this thing called Title IX. you should look it up sometime. Also, we're not bad at any of those sports; in fact, we're pretty good at most of them. but way to lump them in there..

Am I safe in assuming you disagree that we need an indoor football facility?

I do think we need the practice facility. And to get this straight, because we are already good at other sports, you are fine with them detracting from football money? Who's to say that we aren't going to be good at baseball? Right now, it seems that non-revenue sports are what we are good at.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

So did anyone ever get updated pics of progress on the practice palace?

Don't have a photo for you, but should be "good to go" by the end of the month. Last time I peeked in...and you can do that by the way while they are working on it...just be cool and act like you should be there in the first place... it was looking all but complete! :thumbsu:

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1

Don't have a photo for you, but should be "good to go" by the end of the month. Last time I peeked in...and you can do that by the way while they are working on it...just be cool and act like you should be there in the first place... it was looking all but complete! :thumbsu:

Oh and wear a nice UNT polo and/or carry a clipboard. That certainly helps.

Will it be ready for tours by this weekend?

baseball...what a waste of money. spend that cash on football! we shouldn't be adding sports until we've got an indoor facility and we're paying coaches like we're big time. instead, we'll be funding a non-revenue sport with what little resources we have. donors may be funding the start up for baseball, but will they be covering the total expenses every year? doubtful. football first

One factor you might want to consider is that NT has lost more than a few football recruits who wanted to also play baseball.

Factor two, is that baseball will probably come closer to paying for itself than any sport at NT including football and basketball. NT loses millions on football and basketball if you eliminate institutional and student funding and just base it on revenue versus expenses. Baseball can't come close to losing that much money.

I get your overall point, NT has to be prudent with their funds and football is king. However, baseball would fill a big void in men's athletics. Unless you are into collegian golf or track, a large part of the fan base really has no contact with NT athletes from March till September. No not a great number will go see a game, but they will have interest enough to at least follow baseball.

Having said that, I don't want NT to field a baseball team if it is going to lower the competitiveness of any other NT athletic program. Also I have no interest in NT added baseball if they are not committed to having a first rate program.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

Will it be ready for tours by this weekend?

Was told no due to work on the floor. Besides we are playing off campus this year. But, after we adjourn to Rudy's for the after party it might be fun to go by and take a peak in...if even through a door window.

• Upvote 1

Was told no due to work on the floor. Besides we are playing off campus this year. But, after we adjourn to Rudy's for the after party it might be fun to go by and take a peak in...if even through a door window.

What about doing tours before the Green & White game that is in a couple weeks? Work should be done by then.

• Upvote 1

What about doing tours before the Green & White game that is in a couple weeks? Work should be done by then.

Lots happening before the Green and White game...5K run, GMG.Com Flag Football Game, Hall of Fame tailgate, etc., etc. Doubtful anyone in the athletic department would have time to be giving tours...but, you can ask, right?

• Upvote 1

APRIL 13: Basketball Practice Facility Grand Opening, 9 a.m.

The new basketball practice facility will officialy open its doors with a ribbon cutting at 9 a.m. This newly-renovated space will be available for the North Texas men’s and women’s basketball teams. The ceremony will take place in the Mean Green Village across form the Volleyball Center.

• Upvote 1

The new basketball practice facility will officialy open its doors with a ribbon cutting at 9 a.m. This newly-renovated space will be available for the North Texas men’s and women’s basketball teams. The ceremony will take place in the Mean Green Village across form the Volleyball Center.

Over or under at 2 on how many suits Benford will bring to the ceremony

My wish has been granted! I figured the Spring Game would be a prime time to show off the new facility.

My wish has been granted! I figured the Spring Game would be a prime time to show off the new facility.

So, you aren't going to participate in the 5K at 9:00am? Thought you would be an age class winner. And, you better be back in time to get registered and ready for the flag football game...just sayin.....

So, you aren't going to participate in the 5K at 9:00am? Thought you would be an age class winner. And, you better be back in time to get registered and ready for the flag football game...just sayin.....

No. I am running a half marathon the Sunday after the Spring Game.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1