Ridiculously early 2013 predictions

10Eagle10

HOME:

W Idaho (Northern team will bake in the hot Texas sun on the east sidelines)

W Ball State (See Idaho game)

L Middle Tennessee (Totally dominated the Green last year)

L Rice (Bowl win last year)

W UTEP (3-9 Record last year with new coach coming in)

W UTSA (Absolute must win)

AWAY:

L at Ohio (9-4 team destroyed ULM in bowl. Mickey Tettleton's son returns as third year starting QB)

L at Georgia (Let's hope the score is respectable)

L at Louisiana Tech (Too much offensive firepower for us to stop them)

W at Southern Miss (0-12 last year)

W at Tulane (Let's celebrate the win on Bourbon Street!)

L at Tulsa (Too good for the Green)

6-6

• Upvote 2

I look at this two ways: If Berglund is a good QB, then I see 7-5:

HOME ROAD

W--Idaho L--Ohio

L--Ball State L--Georgia

W--MUTS W--La Tech

L--Rice W--Southern Miss

W--UTEP W--Tulane

W--UTSA L--Tulsa

If Berglund is not good, and DT is the QB at the same level as last year, we go 4-8, with wins over Idaho, UTEP, UTSA, and Tulane. Berglund's potential is that big of a difference, IMO.

• Upvote 1

My gut tells me we're no more than a 5 win team again. All of our reasons to hope for improvement are complete unknowns and I fear we're getting Stratford'd all over again.

We might be getting Stratford'd, but Berglund's resume and size are worth the shot. Berglund didn't play anywhere else because he couldn't play--it was because of off-the-field stuff. Maybe that makes him an even bigger risk, but Stratford couldn't play at OU and he couldn't play here either for the same reason--his hands were stone.

• Upvote 2

My gut tells me we're no more than a 5 win team again. All of our reasons to hope for improvement are complete unknowns and I fear we're getting Stratford'd all over again.

I'm usually a pessimist so I'm okay with your prediction, although I think Berglund will be great, nice recruiting class and Mac has the team he wants built the way he wants with the system he wants. There's reasons to be positive.

We might be getting Stratford'd, but Berglund's resume and size are worth the shot. Berglund didn't play anywhere else because he couldn't play--it was because of off-the-field stuff. Maybe that makes him an even bigger risk, but Stratford couldn't play at OU and he couldn't play here either for the same reason--his hands were stone.

The more I think about it the less I believe Mac would sit DT on the bench for his senior season, no matter how good Berglund may look in practice.

• Upvote 1

For me, the key to our team's growth is consistency, and what I hope for is that that consistency will be in the frame of the games we played well in (even the losses, i.e. KSU and LSU) last season. Or to be clearer, if the team as a whole plays as well - consistently - as it did at its best last season, regardless of the Thompson vs. Berglund debate, I can see this as very possible (slightly changed but lots of the same holds true):

HOME:

W Idaho

L Ball State (close if what I said above is true)

W Middle Tennessee

W Rice

W UTEP

W UTSA

AWAY:

L at Ohio (AGREE: 9-4 team destroyed ULM in bowl. Mickey Tettleton's son returns as third year starting QB)

L at Georgia (AGREE: Let's hope the score is respectable)

L at Louisiana Tech (AGREE: Too much offensive firepower for us to stop them)

W at Southern Miss

W at Tulane

L at Tulsa

7-5

• Upvote 1

HOME:

W Idaho

W Ball State

W Middle Tennessee

W Rice

W UTEP

W UTSA

AWAY:

W at Ohio

L at Georgia

L at Louisiana Tech

W at Southern Miss

W at Tulane

L at Tulsa

9-3. +/- 2

Round the bend crazy, here.

Home:

Idaho - win

Ball St. - loss

MTSU - loss

Rice - loss

UTEP - loss

UTSA - win (it freaking better be a win. A loss in this game could be a fireable offense)

Away:

Ohio - loss

Georgia - loss

La. Tech - loss

So. Miss. - loss

Tulane - win

Tulsa - loss

A much more realistic view. If things go perfect, we could also win So. Miss, La. Tech, and UTEP. But if things had gone perfect last year, I counted 8 wins. We got 4. Based on that half theory, I have 3 wins. Things rarely go perfect for any team in a football playing season.

I think people on here really underestimate the increased competition level of CUSA.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The more I think about it the less I believe Mac would sit DT on the bench for his senior season, no matter how good Berglund may look in practice.

Mac is coaching for his job this season (at least he should be). He better play the best he has got.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Mac is coaching for his job this season (at least he should be). He better play the best he has got.

As much as I like Mac, and as much as he is an exponential improvement over his predecessor, I like to see us holding such expectations. We were just missing a couple key positions last year (cough...quarterback...cough). There is a chance we turn the corner in 2013. I'm not gonna' start drinking koolaid just yet, but I feel a hell of a lot better about 2013 than I did about 2010.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Stop the "hot seat" non-sense. Mac's job is secure. In two seasons MAC has more wins than Dodge did in four.

That's called progress.

This "We should demand more, I have high standards, we have a new stadium now" banter is tired and empirically false. Mac is taking our team from the worst era in school history and completely rebuilding it.

Coupled with the fact that we are moving into a tougher conference any well informed fan would have reasonalbe expectations for the next two seasons.

• Upvote 2

Stop the "hot seat" non-sense. Mac's job is secure. In two seasons MAC has more wins than Dodge did in four.

That's called progress.

This "We should demand more, I have high standards, we have a new stadium now" banter is tired and empirically false. Mac is taking our team from the worst era in school history and completely rebuilding it.

Coupled with the fact that we are moving into a tougher conference any well informed fan would have reasonalbe expectations for the next two seasons.

And this is what is wrong with this football program. We never expect anything.

Well, you get what you ask for.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Something I think we also need to remember is that we are returning a very experienced team, we were extremely young last year and will have a lot of returning starters. If you're expectations are below 6-6 you need to raise those...

We have what I consider one 'unwinnable' game against Georgia, and two more very tough road games against Tulsa and La. tech... Outside of that, we should consider every other opponent an even match in my book...