Ridiculously early 2013 predictions

10Eagle10

Maybe you should take a look at Harry;s thread and see just how many players from the Dodge era were starters last year.If we were so terrible, how can so many Dodge recruits be making such meaninful contributions?

This is a non-argument no matter who orginally made it. Why so many Dodge players....because they are upper classmen. A 21 year old should beat out an 18 year old. Because a player with three years under an offenisve coordinator should beat out a kid from high school where we played with maybe one or two other guys that could make a D1 team.

I understand wanting to win and wanting to win now. I also understand how bad the Dodge hire was.

There is no amount of revisionist history that will take away the fact that DODGE WAS THE WORST COACH IN SCHOOL HISTORY.

CFN has UNT picked 6th in CUSA, a head of UTSA. If Mac does anything better, its progress.

That is just simply untrue.

And it was such a successful program that Coach Mac was mistaking DE's for DB's. You can call it "coachspeak" all you want, but if you sat in the stands and didn't see a big difference then you are blind. Dodge didn't have the defense hitting in practice, etc... Dodge probably had a good vision, but he didn't know how to successfully implement that vision. He left the program in terrible shape, so bad that Coach Mac deserves the time needed to turn it around. Hell, this program has been in bad shape for years, even during the Dickey era, yet everyong thinks a new coach is going to walk in here and change a culture overnight that has been cultivated for decades. The truth doesn't bother me emmit, although I don't consider myself an apologist. A realist would be more accurate, and a dose of reality may do you some good.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I am far from defending Dodge, but now you shift gears to not hitting in practice ?

Really, pick an argument. Not that we should be having one. Dodge was a terrible coach, we agree.

Mac needs vast improvement this year to keep the wolves at bay, we agree .

Mac has not recruited successfully, we agree.

What am I missing here?

• Upvote 1

I am far from defending Dodge, but now you shift gears to not hitting in practice ?

Really, pick an argument. Not that we should be having one. Dodge was a terrible coach, we agree.

What am I missing here?

I think the bolded is where you seem to not agree.

What am I missing here?

1. Yes

2. No, I think the wolves are already howling. Wolves howl at the moon because it is there. Our wolves hire because it is year 2 of their regime.

3. No, I don't believe classes should be rated until 3 or 4 years down the road. Aome were all happy with Sampson, Swarn, etc... because they were three stars. Where are they now?

Edited by UNTLifer

This is a non-argument no matter who orginally made it. Why so many Dodge players....because they are upper classmen. A 21 year old should beat out an 18 year old. Because a player with three years under an offenisve coordinator should beat out a kid from high school where we played with maybe one or two other guys that could make a D1 team.

I understand wanting to win and wanting to win now. I also understand how bad the Dodge hire was.

There is no amount of revisionist history that will take away the fact that DODGE WAS THE WORST COACH IN SCHOOL HISTORY.

CFN has UNT picked 6th in CUSA, a head of UTSA. If Mac does anything better, its progress.

Uh, take a look at any team's roster and you see true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophmores starting. Bowl teams don't magically have all upper classmen starting.

So, You would be happy with a 2 win season, with both both wins coming over winless Idaho and winless UTSA? Ok.

I guess?

Uh, take a look at any team's roster and you see true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophmores starting. Bowl teams don't magically have all upper classmen starting.

So, You would be happy with a 2 win season, with both both wins coming over winless Idaho and winless UTSA? Ok.

I guess?

Win less UTSA? I think not. See you guys in Denton. GO RUNNERS!

DMac may end up being our version of ASU's Steve Roberts. A guy who builds our program but never quite pushes us over the top. That doesn't make me like him as UNT's coach, right now, any less. I like what he's doing with our program, and I do think we'll be rewarded for sticking with him. We are recruiting a boat load of offensive linemen and speed on defense. We play technically sound. We will be a tough team to beat as long as he's running the show. Whether we compete for and win conference championships will come down to getting top of CUSA level performance out of our QBs. DMac is setting us up to be a solid team year in and year out. No dips down into 2-10 territory, and getting the right QB puts you in contention for 10-2 type seasons. Put Ryan Aplin or Kolton Browning on either of the last 2 UNT squads and what do you have??

Now realistically, our expectations this year should fall somewhere between 5-7 and 7-5, mostly based on the tough road schedule and with either 5th year Senior DThompson leading the offense or a 1st year starter in Berglund. I know Berglund was rated up there with Johnny Manziel but if he was showing that kind of ability in practice, I have a hard time believing Kansas would have ever let him leave. He may turn out to be a great player here, but I've got to see him on the field with my own eyes before I'm ready to start expecting it from him.

Edited by TIgreen01

Back to the orginal point of this thread, next year' s predictions.

I think expectations are being skewed by the belief that it's Mac's time to deliver and by CUSA down year last year.

The new CUSA schedule is great because there is no easy wins, but no completely impossible games.

I'm hoping for 6-6 & a bowl

Idaho = Win

Ohio & Ball = A good year would be splitting for 1 win

GA = Loss (They're a playoff team)

Tulane = Win (glad we have the bye week before this game and Tulane has 3 road games before this)

MTSU = Toss Up (glad we have them at home)

LA Tech = Loss (maybe we catch'em off with the new coach)

S Miss = Win (third coach in 3 years)

Rice = Loss (they won their bowl, give them some respect)

UTEP = Win (new coach and we're at home)

UTSA = Win (glad we have the bye the week before and are at home)

Tulsa = Loss (they are going to win CUSA next year & hopefully bust the BCS)

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 4

• 6 months later...

I posted back In January that, with DT as QB, I'd see us at 4-8, with wins over Idaho, UTSA, UTEP, and at Tulane. That still stands. Very bummed that I bought into the Berglund hope. Looks like the guy just can't play, at least right now. Maybe with time, he'll show us something, but it looks like we are seeing how he ended up falling so far down the chain from his HS days in Colorado.

4-8 this year will not get McCarney fired--I repeat, it won't get McCarney fired. His buyout is just way more than the university would be willing to pay. But 2014 will be the hottest of hotseats around here. I'd suspect that we would see a huge change on the coaching staff, with Chico and others probably being gone before next season. I want Coach Mac to win here so bad--he is everything that this university should want in a head coach. But he knows, just as well as we do, that this will be about his W/L record in his 4th year. If its another losing sesaon, he'll get fired, either when its obvious we can't have a winning season or after its over. I think Coach Mac will stay here and get an extension if he does one of these two things: win 5+ games in 2013 or win 6+ games in 2014. He gets fired if he wins 2 or less this year or under 6 in 2014. It looks pretty obvious at this point.

I am not going to even guess at this seasons results, other than say the exception of Georgia; NT should be in every game. This is an upperclassmen dominated team, and if they don't have a winning record this year, I see disaster the year after which would probably end McCarney's NT career.

I do want to caution everyone that seems to think Tulane is the weak link. It is their homecoming and they have substantially out recruited NT the last two years and were a much better ball club than NT at the end of last year. I think it will be one of the toughest CUSA games.

I do want to caution everyone that seems to think Tulane is the weak link. It is their homecoming and they have substantially out recruited NT the last two years and were a much better ball club than NT at the end of last year. I think it will be one of the toughest CUSA games.

If they dont beat Tulane, they wont win a road game. Off of the Georgia beat down and 2 Weeks to prepare. No excuses. Unless Tulane shows they are a whole lot better than last year...How can a 2 win team all of a sudden get credit for improving the following year, but unt cant? so UNT is going to play the same way while everybody else improves? Even winless and 2 win teams? Some people act like UNT was lucky to even win 4 games last year.

• Upvote 2

I don't think some of us accept how bad we really are.The Sagarin rating, which I find very accurate and includes 1aa schools, ranks us 131st out of 251 programs.This puts us behind powerhouses such as Buffalo,Chattanooga,Townson,and Wofford,just to name a few.

You find the Saragin rating accurate? The final 2012 Sagarin ratings had North Texas at 118, which is certainly awful...but they had Tulane at 155.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm