UNT posts impressive performance academically in football

Harry

UNT put out a little note on the performance of its football team academically today that is definitely worth talking about.

UNT had 45 players post a GPA of 3.0 or better this fall, the top total for the program since 2001.

“I am extremely pleased with the effort that this team put in to their academic work during the fall,” head coach Dan McCarney said. “With all of the demands on their time during the season, they still took pride in showing progress in the classroom. With the help of the academic staff, football players at North Texas are beginning to understand the importance and benefits of scholastic success.”

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/01/unt-posts-impressive-performance-academically-in-football.html/

Maybe if we had more dumb thugs we would win more games.

Oh, our best players Warner and Jimmerson got arrested so I guess that counts.

Anybody have an update on that situation?

Joking aside that's a huge improvement from the mess academically Dodge put us in as well.

At least our guys will go professional in something other than sports.

Edited by LakeTravis
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Maybe we we had more dumb thugs we would win more games.

Joking aside that's a huge improvement from the mess academically Dodge put us in as well.

What was the charge?

• Upvote 1

Maybe we we had more dumb thugs we would win more games.

Too hard to just treat this topic as the positive news that it is?

Too hard to just treat this topic as the positive news that it is?

I was referring to the topic that was discussed earlier this season of how Notre Dame would be a better program if they had more thugs on the team than "choir boys"

Not being negative, it's pretty remarkable of how much Mac has done for our program.

He has done it the right way and has found a bunch of great kids.

We have gone a long way from the headlines of ESPN for having almost half the team test positive for marijuana.

Aside from some of the more recent issues, like the MJ testing, this is more like what I'm used to hearing from our athletes. We are not just another University that uses kids for wins and squeezes them by academically. Our history of having academically proficient athletes has been very impressive overall, regardless of those couple of hiccups. It's yet another thing that makes me proud of what we do, even though we do have some occasional lapses in our record over time.

I was referring to the topic that was discussed earlier this season of how Notre Dame would be a better program if they had more thugs on the team than "choir boys"

Not being negative, it's pretty remarkable of how much Mac has done for our program.

He has done it the right way and has found a bunch of great kids.

We have gone a long way from the headlines of ESPN for having almost half the team test positive for marijuana.

I just liked the original topic. Straight. Almost didn't need our comments.

Not sure whether this is a more important accomplishment than a a 7 win season, but it just might be.

Since most of those players will not play football for a living, this sure is important for their future.

And if played right should also sound good in the ears of the parents of recruits.

Congrats to the Coaches and the players who pulled the average up

Given the child molesting Penn State allowed to go on for decades, this is the kind of thing that makes me not care about being 4-8 on the field.

When he arrived and began to go out on the coaches tour, Dan told many of us that the academic performance was so bad that he was shocked. He vowed to turn it around. And, it appears as though he has.

We complain a bunch about on the field performance, or lack thereof. But, in the long run, these guys getting an education for their future is more important.

Give credit where credit is due. Great job, coach Dan and staff. And, great job, fellas! Hard work does pay off in life...in every endeavor. Keep pushing.

• Upvote 2

Aside from some of the more recent issues, like the MJ testing, this is more like what I'm used to hearing from our athletes. We are not just another University that uses kids for wins and squeezes them by academically. Our history of having academically proficient athletes has been very impressive overall, regardless of those couple of hiccups. It's yet another thing that makes me proud of what we do, even though we do have some occasional lapses in our record over time.

There have also been only a couple of lapses in our losing record over time.

Just sayin...

• Downvote 1

Well, it didn't help that our APR was so bad we had fewer scholarships to give. Also, just saying.

Yep...this stuff matters. This is an impressive accomplishment for the FB team and the coaches and the support folks. Well done!

• Upvote 4

This is good news because football gives a lot of these guys the opportunity to get an education that they may not have had without football. The bottom line is they are there to be students first and football players 2nd, and it looks like the guys are taking advantage of it.

We complain a bunch about on the field performance, or lack thereof. But, in the long run, these guys getting an education for their future is more important.

I strongly agree with you here. Everytime somebody emails me a mughshot of an athlete, I question what I'm paying for. If we're doing this under the guise of providing an opportunity for an education, particularly to many who might not otherwise have one, then I'm very, very happy to see the objective coming to fruition.

I would rather be 4-8 in a second tier conference every year for the rest of my life than be Penn State or just about any team in the old SWC or just about any team in the current SEC. If I want thugs for hire, I'll just move back to Los Angeles.

• Upvote 1

I strongly agree with you here. Everytime somebody emails me a mughshot of an athlete, I question what I'm paying for. If we're doing this under the guise of providing an opportunity for an education, particularly to many who might not otherwise have one, then I'm very, very happy to see the objective coming to fruition.

I would rather be 4-8 in a second tier conference every year for the rest of my life than be Penn State or just about any team in the old SWC or just about any team in the current SEC. If I want thugs for hire, I'll just move back to Los Angeles.

Agree...nicely stated. Seems you have your priorities in order regarding this stuff. I know there will be plenty of folks who don't agree with us on this, but I am pretty sure that the vast majority of college athletes do not end up making a living playing their sport of choice. That being said...just because one has a good GPA does not excuse crappy on field performance in a scholarship athlete. They are student-athletes after all. Good students and good citizens can be great athletes as well.

• Upvote 2

Agree...nicely stated. Seems you have your priorities in order regarding this stuff. I know there will be plenty of folks who don't agree with us on this, but I am pretty sure that the vast majority of college athletes do not end up making a living playing their sport of choice. That being said...just because one has a good GPA does not excuse crappy on field performance in a scholarship athlete. They are student-athletes after all. Good students and good citizens can be great athletes as well.

+1 Student-athletes need to realize that they are not entitled to a scholarship and accepting it is a full time job that requires discipline, dedication, and character. I hate to make a cliche but the generation of kids(NOT ALL) that are emerging have no work ethic and do not accept constructive critique in any way. Entitled generation in which instant gratification, praise and rewards are expected without the work. Would love to see the exception to the rule become the expected rule again. A leader rises to the challenge and raises the bar with each challenge. It is contageous and we have young men and/or women in our system that can make a difference.

• Upvote 1

I don't believe that I stated GPA and on-field performance are mutually exclusive. I just agreed with FLF that one is more important that the other.

Oh, no you did not...I addded that little tid-bit. had nothing really to do with your post. Hope I did not offend.