UNT lands JC offensive lineman Justin Manu

Harry

Justin Manu, an offensive lineman from Snow College in Utah, has committed to play for UNT and will sign with the Mean Green during the mid-term signing period.

Manu confirmed his plans late this morning.

I am expecting a call back from the Utah native sometime in the next few hours when he gets some time to talk.

Manu was a team captain for Snow last season and at 6-5, 285, has the size to play tackle on the FBS level.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/12/unt-lands-jc-offensive-lineman.html/

This post has been promoted to an article

"Manu is the third JUCO prospect UNT has picked up a commitment from, joining Kilgore cornerback James Jones and Trinity Valley center Shawn McKinney."

Are the other two going to be mid-term transfers as well?

Yes, which makes a huge difference.

Now if Mac could land a JUCO DE, I think he'd be set for JUCOS

Edited by H-towngreen
  • Upvote 1

Good get.

Honest question. Is Mac going the JUCO route to even out the scholarship situation (how many available each year) or is he feeling the heat to produce in year 3?

Or is he just taking the best athletes available?

Or a combination?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Certainly we have to be done on the offensive line, right?

This brings us up to 5 O-Line commits, including 2 JUCOs, with 4 of the team's top 6 linemen returning and at least a half-dozen well-regarded red-shirt freshmen and sophomores who should be expected to push for stops in the two-deep. I like the depth, but it seems slightly superfluous in the face of questionable depth on the D-Line. Are any of the incoming freshmen candidates to move to the DL?

• Upvote 2

Good get.

Honest question. Is Mac going the JUCO route to even out the scholarship situation (how many available each year) or is he feeling the heat to produce in year 3?

Or is he just taking the best athletes available?

Or a combination?

Too early to tell, stop being so impatient. Jeesh! Some of you guys are so impatient!! :ass:

• Upvote 1

This brings us up to 5 O-Line commits, including 2 JUCOs, with 4 of the team's top 6 linemen returning and at least a half-dozen well-regarded red-shirt freshmen and sophomores who should be expected to push for stops in the two-deep. I like the depth, but it seems slightly superfluous in the face of questionable depth on the D-Line. Are any of the incoming freshmen candidates to move to the DL?

I agree with you on this. I kind of wonder about the need for the JUCO linemen when we're returning 4 of 5 and have depth. At DT we have 3 or 4 guys coming off of redshirts. So maybe Mac is expecting something from them.

• Upvote 1

It's a big change in philosophy from the Dodge years IMO. Dodge seemed to ignore the need for line depth and size. Dickey would sign juco o-linemen every year, and many of them turned out to be really fine players for us.

Mac is building more of a smash mouth type of program and he likes size and depth. Defensively, I would say that a rush end would be the next piece on the wish list although if you could land a big safety that can hit I wouldn't mind that either. Wouldn't mind seeing another Powers type of tight end either.

Mac knows he/we have to win next season so I see these moves as more of insurance as opposed to younger players beings busts.

It's a big change in philosophy from the Dodge years IMO. Dodge seemed to ignore the need for line depth and size. Dickey would sign juco o-linemen every year, and many of them turned out to be really fine players for us.

Mac is building more of a smash mouth type of program and he likes size and depth. Defensively, I would say that a rush end would be the next piece on the wish list although if you could land a big safety that can hit I wouldn't mind that either. Wouldn't mind seeing another Powers type of tight end either.

Mac knows he/we have to win next season so I see these moves as more of insurance as opposed to younger players beings busts.

Absolutely on both counts. Depth and stamina are ALWAYS issues in the trenches. He wants to beat our opponents down physically, and you'll need the bodies for that. And also what I think you're seeing is a desire from Mac for more competition - from the weight room to the class room to the film room to the games. Just because some guy had a decent year last year doesn't mean he can sit back and count on starting the next. Always compete.

I'm going to eat some major crow here... But with the signing of JUCO help on O-Line, it appears that Cam Feldt is not regarded as an answer to fill in next season (or not anticipated to make any impact).

Good call Dr. Seuss.

I think you could say the same thing about all the offensive linemen at least next year. He is returning 4 of the top 6 and apparently does not expect a lot from the rest.

I think McCarney is going away from his preferred hs recruiting because frankly he is not doing well there. NT is not winning many battles for high school players with comparable other options and recruits from the first two McCarney years for the most part have not proved they are ready to be reliable front line players. Having said that, I like NT last two juco signees better than any others thus far in this class.

Just taking a stab in the dark here. Maybe Mac realizes that, while the HS guys he's recruited in this class have D1 size, they don't have D1 ready ability yet? The offer list for those kids isn't exactly cause for celebration. Perhaps he's bringing in the JUCO's so that he can ease the youngins along slowly.

• Upvote 1

I think Coach Benford could use some of the extra's to use as part of his rotation.

• Upvote 1

I think you could say the same thing about all the offensive linemen at least next year. He is returning 4 of the top 6 and apparently does not expect a lot from the rest.

I think McCarney is going away from his preferred hs recruiting because frankly he is not doing well there. NT is not winning many battles for high school players with comparable other options and recruits from the first two McCarney years for the most part have not proved they are ready to be reliable front line players. Having said that, I like NT last two juco signees better than any others thus far in this class.

I am going to disagree considering the young men he has recruited in his first two classes are now only Sophmores, Redshirt Freshmen or Freshmen. He's, as Harry stated, buying some insurance while these young men grow up a little.

I really wonder is Micah Thompson will be moved back to the DL.

• Upvote 1

I am going to disagree considering the young men he has recruited in his first two classes are now only Sophmores, Redshirt Freshmen or Freshmen. He's, as Harry stated, buying some insurance while these young men grow up a little.

Thinking the same thing on Thompson to DT

Yes, the guy who made a big point of going with hs players is now going to Jucos because everything is working as he planned.

There are a bunch of dts on the team, why would they want to convert an offensive lineman. Boutwell, Abbe and Lincoln all have extensive playing time with Wallace, McDomand, Orr behind them. Thompson or any other OL is not likely to beat any of them out.