Canales interested in FIU job

James329

Just gonna put this here... I've been looking for discussions that might include what his playcalling looks like.

http://forum.goazcat...?t=53648&page=2

Yeah, I remember reading those posts when Chico first came here. The Arizona people did not seem to like him very much . . . South Florida was more of a mixed bag . . .

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?/topic/73680-coach-canales-gets-his-chance/

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?/topic/56610-canales-to-illinois/

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?/topic/89174-question-about-a-former-offensive-coordinator/

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I remember reading those posts when Chico first came here. The Arizona people did not seem to like him very much . . . South Florida was more of a mixed bag . . .

http://thebullspen.c...ets-his-chance/

http://thebullspen.c...es-to-illinois/

http://thebullspen.c...ve-coordinator/

i was the one who asked the question from that last link. the link that the usf poster provided that was from an arizona board had a quote that sounded very familiar.

http://forum.goazcat...ead.php?t=69544

"With Canales the pass was non existent and overall offensive totals were sub 300. Now pass is predominant with 300+ total offense the norm and scoring up from 20 to 30 ppg. Now the offense puts us in the game and provides opportunities to win, whereas, the previous offense controlled the clock but did not score. That didn't keep the Cats in the game. To sit there and call for the reinstituting of an offense that WASN'T working is completely ludicrous."

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

You have to give the coach credit applying for a HFC's job coming from a football program that has had 8 losing seasons in a row. (Take your blood pressure meds now).

The 40 plus years I (even as an admitted novice) closely followed NCAA football and how programs function, ie, who makes them work AND who doesn't make them work it seems most programs normally hire from programs that are winning, but reading this board would probably even cause an unobjective reader to think that "normal" is not the oft' used modus operendi with most things connected with North Texas. Now is that being negative or just blatantly truthful? Lets debate that the next 10 years while nothing changes up at the Mean Green Retirment Center while many of you who profess to care about all this now may not care 10 years from today to give a damn to even post an opinion.

Some of us old phart alums can count endless numbers of NT Exes who no longer read this or any board (have probably never seen it in some cases) and no longer give a hoot or a holler about whatever happens to theirs (and our) alma mater's athletic program. This group you can kiss off forever and are long gone from the Mean Green scene and some of us have seen this from many eras up there but one in particular when North Texas was demoted to NCAA D1-AA back in 1982 many of our (then) regulars were dropping out like flies and we haven't seen most of them since. I guess the moral of that story is to never become the kind of North Texas Ex as to where you don't care to opinionate about anything at all? With over 200,000 NT Exes in the northern part of Texas we already seem to have our fair share of that group already.

:thumbsu: I wish Coach "Chico" (whom I've never met) good luck in this endeavor and hope him to be the exception in getting such a job coming from from a multi-year losing program. Many of you say he would be a good NCAA FBS HFC.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 4

i was the one who asked the question from that last link. the link that the usf poster provided that was from an arizona board had a quote that sounded very familiar.

http://forum.goazcat...ead.php?t=69544

"With Canales the pass was non existent and overall offensive totals were sub 300. Now pass is predominant with 300+ total offense the norm and scoring up from 20 to 30 ppg. Now the offense puts us in the game and provides opportunities to win, whereas, the previous offense controlled the clock but did not score. That didn't keep the Cats in the game. To sit there and call for the reinstituting of an offense that WASN'T working is completely ludicrous."

Strange... Strange indeed. When I think of Canales in the interim HC year, this doesn't make sense at all.

I'm definitely a fan of Chico as an OC. Looking back at his time at USF... I don't think there's any argument that his offense was effective.

But as for the Arizona stint, let's take a look:

2004: He wound up having to start 2 different QB's in 2004... hey, at least they pulled the trigger on a change when their first QB did not produce. Neither are guys that are worth mentioning.

2005: Forced to burn Willie Tuitama's redshirt late in the season because of poor QB play. Scored in bunches with him in there. Of course, Tuitama was a true freshman, so there were struggles as well.

2006: With Tuitama again (now a Soph) they got to 6-6. This was not good enough for AZ, so he was let go and went back to USF. AZ regresses to 5-7 in 2007.

Chico needs good QB play to be effective. I hope he gets a crack with Berglund, assuming Berglund's the real deal.

• Upvote 2

I'm definitely a fan of Chico as an OC. Looking back at his time at USF... I don't think there's any argument that his offense was effective.

2004: He wound up having to start 2 different QB's in 2004... hey, at least they pulled the trigger on a change when their first QB did not produce. Neither are guys that are worth mentioning.

2005: Forced to burn Willie Tuitama's redshirt late in the season because of poor QB play. Scored in bunches with him in there. Of course, Tuitama was a true freshman, so there were struggles as well.

2006: With Tuitama again (now a Soph) they got to 6-6. This was not good enough for AZ, so he was let go and went back to USF. AZ regresses to 5-7 in 2007.

Chico needs good QB play to be effective. I hope he gets a crack with Berglund, assuming Berglund's the real deal.

Apologist.

:)

Find me the outstanding Canales offensive stats. Ask Arizona fans.

See ya Chico.

2002: quarterbacks coach at N.C. State- 39th in total offense, 35th in passing offense, 19th in passing efficiency

2007: OC/quarterbacks coach at USF- 43rd in total offense

2008: OC/quarterbacks coach at USF- 32nd in total offense, 37th in pass efficiency

2009: Starting QB (senior, four year starter) went down in the third game of the season and was lost for the season

- coached the career big east yards leader for his sophomore, junior, and senior seasons

- coached phillip rivers for two seasons

- coached B.J. Daniels for one season (freshman). Compare Daniels' numbers under Chico as a freshman compared to what he did under new coaches the rest of his career:

2009 (under Chico): 54% 2000 passing yards 800 rushing yards 23 TDs 9 INTs 139.5 rating

2010: 58% 1700 passing yards 300 rushing yards 16 TDs 13 INTs 120.3 rating

2011: 59% 2600 passing yards 600 rushing yards 19 TDs 7 INTs 126.7 rating

2012: 57% 2100 passing yards 400 rushing yards 19 TDs 10 INTs 126.0 rating

Daniels' best year was his freshman season under Chico. Read Matt Grothe's Facebook wall (I am not friends with him on there, yet can still see his wall so you should be able to, also). He wanted Chico to be the HC at USF last week (as did many other former players who started a petition).

Chico is a solid OC. What so many fans (and, unfortunately for Chico, ADs) don't understand is that many elite coordinators do not have what it takes to be an elite head coach. Likewise, many elite head coaches aren't necessarily going to be elite coordinators. Anyone who has played under Chico, coached with Chico, or knows him well is able to tell you that he has what it takes to be a great head coach.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I think Chico may be a better head coach than offensive coordinator. The run they had post-Dodge was fun.

My wife is a Mormon, but when I told her about the discussion on the board back then as to whether Canales was a Mormon, she (a BYU ex) said, "it doesn't matter whether he's a Mormon, what matters is he knows how to win".

Edited by eulessismore

i agree with the fact that he needs an effective qb to be effective, but you can say that about almost any football team. i don't blame this season on him. the point i was making was to show the same things that we are complaining about are thes same things past schools have complained about. everyone wants to say mac is the one calling all these running plays and it seems this is something he tends to lean on, especially when the qb can't throw.

canales is a great guy and a players coach and i would like for him to stay because i think he can be more creative with a better qb who can run (like riley during his interim stint), but it's too much of a coincidence that his previous two schools say the same thing.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 2

2002: quarterbacks coach at N.C. State- 39th in total offense, 35th in passing offense, 19th in passing efficiency

2007: OC/quarterbacks coach at USF- 43rd in total offense

2008: OC/quarterbacks coach at USF- 32nd in total offense, 37th in pass efficiency

2009: Starting QB (senior, four year starter) went down in the third game of the season and was lost for the season

- coached the career big east yards leader for his sophomore, junior, and senior seasons

- coached phillip rivers for two seasons

- coached B.J. Daniels for one season (freshman). Compare Daniels' numbers under Chico as a freshman compared to what he did under new coaches the rest of his career:

2009 (under Chico): 54% 2000 passing yards 800 rushing yards 23 TDs 9 INTs 139.5 rating

2010: 58% 1700 passing yards 300 rushing yards 16 TDs 13 INTs 120.3 rating

2011: 59% 2600 passing yards 600 rushing yards 19 TDs 7 INTs 126.7 rating

2012: 57% 2100 passing yards 400 rushing yards 19 TDs 10 INTs 126.0 rating

Daniels' best year was his freshman season under Chico. Read Matt Grothe's Facebook wall (I am not friends with him on there, yet can still see his wall so you should be able to, also). He wanted Chico to be the HC at USF last week (as did many other former players who started a petition).

Chico is a solid OC. What so many fans (and, unfortunately for Chico, ADs) don't understand is that many elite coordinators do not have what it takes to be an elite head coach. Likewise, many elite head coaches aren't necessarily going to be elite coordinators. Anyone who has played under Chico, coached with Chico, or knows him well is able to tell you that he has what it takes to be a great head coach.

i wouldn't call any of these numbers "outstanding". solid? yes. but not great.

So are you a cousin or a closer relative?

I like how you exclude or apologize for years that don't help your argument. "2009: Starting QB (senior, four year starter) went down in the third game of the season and was lost for the season" Where are those stats? So without a prime QB he can't deliver?

I love how the family comes out for Chico,

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out Mike!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wasn't the hugest fan of the Canales hire. I have come around to liking what he does. I wouldn't be devastated if he were to hop on over to FIU or some other destination.

Chico is only as good as the tools you give him. We did not get consistent QB play for most of the time he has been here. Riley was hurt half of the time and DT has struggled. He has also had a porous defense for most of his tenure here. I like Chico and I hope he stays because I think he will have some major tools to work with next year (Berglund, Terrell, Jim Jim, Harris, Chancellor, Pegram, OLine etc)

I don't see him leaving now, I don't think he's offered a HC position. I really like him, but his tenure here has been pretty mixed. Yes he needs talent, but it's also his job to find and recruit that talent and plug them into his system successfully. If we get better QB play but the offense doesn't improve it may be time to go in a different direction.

• Upvote 1