Better Record Last Year... Why?

UNTeagle88

If you are turning 70 in 2013,which I am, there are a number of reasons to look forward to next year. Hell, at my age I look forward to every year.

I wish we could just be good at something for the fans like Wardly.

I hold little hope for anything above 3 wins next year, unfortunately.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I am one of the biggest fans for North Texas and losing to Western Kentucky hurt alot. We left this season 3-5 Confernce and 4-9 overall.. Is there any reason to look forward to next year?

I'm not going to get angry. I'm not going to rage quit. But I think I'll take a couple months off from all things Mean Green and concentrate on work for a while. When I return, and I will return, it will be as a continually donating alum, but one with zero expectations. 3-5 in the Belt this year = 1-7 in CUSA. I'll just enjoy looking at all the shiny new CUSA uniforms and we can discuss football fashion and hilltop tailgate interior decorating.

I've kinda lost faith that Mac's going to get anything done here. I've kinda lost faith that Benford's gonna get anything done here (zero bare cupboard excuses for that guy). I look around, think maybe Denton is cursed or something, toss my hands in the air in bewilderment, and tarry on.

Hey, at least we'll have some new Tim Love creation to look forward to in "Early 2013!"

Edited by oldguystudent

3-5 in the SBC = 3-5 in CUSA.

The Sun Belt has more bowl teams than CUSA this seaon and more OOC wins.

What's the difference between 11 and 12?

ULM had their best season ever.

We lost Dunbar to the DALLAS COWBOYS!

The teams that were better than us last season, were better than us this season.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I'm not going to get angry. I'm not going to rage quit. But I think I'll take a couple months off from all things Mean Green and concentrate on work for a while. When I return, and I will return, it will be as a continually donating alum, but one with zero expectations. 3-5 in the Belt this year = 1-7 in CUSA. I'll just enjoy looking at all the shiny new CUSA uniforms and we can discuss football fashion and hilltop tailgate interior decorating.

I've kinda lost faith that Mac's going to get anything done here. I've kinda lost faith that Benford's gonna get anything done here (zero bare cupboard excuses for that guy). I look around, think maybe Denton is cursed or something, toss my hands in the air in bewilderment, and tarry on.

Hey, at least we'll have some new Tim Love creation to look forward to in "Early 2013!"

Man, do I ever feel you on this.

I wonder if we ever won't suck, and I just can't see that day.

I'll just enjoy looking at all the shiny new CUSA uniforms and we can discuss football fashion and hilltop tailgate interior decorating.

I'm not even sure that there will be shiny new uniforms. Unless anyone knows differently, I don't know of plans for new uniforms.

The only difference I see for next year is that teams like Tulsa will drill us worse than the Ark St.'s of the world.

Which means NT did not improve with the rest of a bottom feeder conference. No, that doesn't worry me.

BINGO!!!

Let's see, if we are to buy the "Well, the Sun Belt is just better across the board so it's ok" BS then we have to ignore the following.

1)The Sun Belt has the same recruiting hurdles that we do as far as conference prestige.

2)Many of the Sun Belt teams improved with lesser budgets.

3)Several Sun Belt teams built a better talent base than us...with TEXAS talent!

4)NONE of the Sun Belt teams had a brand new stadium either on the horizon or already built to recruit to in the last three seasons...but they still spanked us on the recruiting trail.

5)EVERY team that isnt new to CUSA like us will recruit against us without fhe aforementioned hurdles.

So, in short, the Belt improved while we stagnated and are headed to a league that is ahead of the game. How does this not scare the crap out of even the most naive and stubborn apologist?!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Dodge was stagnation, he was a recession. Now we have to pay the price with 3-4 years of coach'em up to get back to having a shot at conference games. It sucks, but it's true.

The good thing is we are moving into a weaker CUSA with more bowl options. So while Tulsa might own the West for the first few seasons there is no reason to believe we can't play the number two role and still go bowling.

UTSA, UTEP, Tulane, Rice. Let's not act like those games are impossible.

• Upvote 4

The teams that were worse than us 2-3 seasons ago are far better than us this season.

Those teams are led by coaches who took over someone else's players and improved in year two.

Nothing Mac has done this year gives me a reason to think it's gonna get better next year in his year three.

Edited by EGL66
  • Upvote 1

We were picked to come in 7th or 8th this year in the Belt because of lack of talent, and thats where we finished. We are going to be better next year . Wins should include Idaho,Tulane ,UTEP,UTSA,UAB,and maybe Rice. We would need a lot of breaks to beat ECU,Tulsa,Marshall, Ohio, or Ball State. Only way we beat Georgia is if they miss their bus to the game.Put me down for 5&7,6&6 if we get lucky.

• Upvote 1

Dodge was stagnation, he was a recession. Now we have to pay the price with 3-4 years of coach'em up to get back to having a shot at conference games. It sucks, but it's true.

The good thing is we are moving into a weaker CUSA with more bowl options. So while Tulsa might own the West for the first few seasons there is no reason to believe we can't play the number two role and still go bowling.

UTSA, UTEP, Tulane, Rice. Let's not act like those games are impossible.

watched La Tech play SDSU last night and I have to say I think they beat us like a stepchild
  • Upvote 2

I honestly never thought shaft would be the voice of reason, but he is now. I hate losing as much as the next person, but if some of you would step back and honestly and objectively look at what Mac inherited, take the emotion out of it, you might have reason for hope.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

ULM went 6-6 (5-3) under Charlie Weatherbie in 2009. Fired him. Todd Berry came in and improved the win total by -1. Went 5-7 (4-4) then 4-8 (3-5) in 2010 and 2011 respectively. He went 7-4 (5-2) this season and is getting all kinds of praise.

We had the worst coach in UNT history. Fired him. Danny Mac came in and went 5-7 (4-4) his first year and 4-8 (3-5). I think we can all just hold off on declaring the Danny Mac hire to be a lost cause.

• Upvote 4

Dodge was stagnation, he was a recession. Now we have to pay the price with 3-4 years of coach'em up to get back to having a shot at conference games.

We're supposed to accept four years of rebuilding under a new coach just to have a "shot" to win conference games, all because the last coach sucked?

UNT fans set the bar lower than any other college football fans in the country. And our team still can't reach it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

UNT fans set the bar lower than any other college football fans in the country. And our team still can't reach it.

Oddly enough: in Football, yes. In Basketball, no. I think that has alot to do with what was deconstructed in football over the past 7 years, and what was built-up in basketball over the past 7 years...

• Upvote 2