Road to bowl eligibility

UNT90

4-6.

ULM is beat all to hell. Can we?

WKU just lost to the worst team in conference by 2 scores. Will we?

After ULM and WKU's performances, 6-6 might still happen. I'd love to see it take place, but the DB's have to be perfect in the next few weeks and our QB/WRs have to connect far better than they have today. A bowl game would be great and all, but an improved record with a younger team than last year's is still fine.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 1

Even with a 6-6 record. NT would not get a Invite.

This year, I'm pretty sure we would. As it is, there almost certainly will not be enough bowl eligible teams to fill all the available bowl bids.

But we haven't even had two consecutive wins in what . . . 8 years? And we have to win out against two of the better Belt teams? I'm just not that optimistic.

We HAVE to win the turnover battle. Kawaun Jakes (WKU's QB) and Cody Wells (ULM's QB) are not great QBs but we aren't going to out gain these teams by very much, if at all, especially with Chancellor and potentially Jim Jim out.

We broke some big plays, great runs by Byrd and Brown but did you guys see the hole the line opened up on Byrd's run?! Massive. As far as moving the ball down field, we didn't do much of it. This game we just played, in particular after Byrd's run, really has me nervous. How are we going to move the ball on the road against WKU and ULM?

And yes, even if we win our bowl chances aren't looking great. Arky State and MUTS are en route to pick up the league's two guaranteed bowls, and after that who knows if any other teams would get invited to a bowl. But hey, we need to focus on finishing this season strong and not worrying about things we can't control anyways.

Like they said on the radio today- that Troy game could really come back to haunt us.

It's great that our last two games of the year have meaning.

That Troy game hasn't stopped haunting me.

If we were to get to 6-6 (and I don't think we will), then I'm happy not getting a bowl invite. 6-6 is a step up, it's not a losing record and would be perceived as a decent season by potential recruits. Plus, this way we would end on a high instead of potentially getting destroyed by someone in a fourth tier bowl game and having to deal with that for the whole off-season.

• Upvote 2

Whether or not we get in a bowl is way down my list. First, we would have to win next week (we will not be favored). Second, we would have to win the week after that (we will not be favored). Third, see what happens at that point.

But hey, it sure is nice to still be talking about it in mid November for a change!

Back to back home winning records. Nice.

• Upvote 2

This year, I'm pretty sure we would. As it is, there almost certainly will not be enough bowl eligible teams to fill all the available bowl bids.

But we haven't even had two consecutive wins in what . . . 8 years? And we have to win out against two of the better Belt teams? I'm just not that optimistic.

Normally I would agree but ULM and WKU don't seem to be clicking as well now. Losing to FAU?

Well, we are going to have to do more than run the ball every 1st and 2nd down if we hope to win these games.

There were times last night when USA had 10, TEN!!!, in the box against us. Sure, we were going with 4 TE sets, but you aren't going to run the ball effectively against a 10 man front, even if you have 4 additional linemen in the game.

After the interception (both DT's and the receivers fault. The receiver let the DB take the ball away from him with minimal effort), Coach Mac lost complete confidence in DT and would only throw the ball when it was absolutely necessary. Basically playing not to lose. It worked this time, but that won't work against the next 2 opponents.