Marching band selections from the old days.

letsgiveacheer

At Silver's request, here are a few tunes from the McAdow era marching band. These were recorded with two mics stuck in front of 125 os so members in the old band room which is now torn down. This recording was also done using vacuum tubes as transistors were not so common then!

The Fanfare is from a Wagner opera and was used to open each pre-game. Mr. McAdow liked circus marches and at halftime, the refrain from Robinson's Grand Entry was usually played while the band got into its 'NTS" formation, Then, the fight song was played as the band marched off the field still in the formation.

The fight song is the original version circa 1938 or so and the current version was done in 1976. I have no idea when the U N T Eagles chant started. It would be nice to revive the original fight song for next season's 100th football anniversary.

The Alma Mater was always played at pre-game just before the National Anthem.

Please enjoy!

http://www.4shared.c...01_Fanfare.html

http://www.4shared.c...rand_Entry.html

http://www.4shared.c...Fight_Song.html

http://www.4shared.c..._the_Green.html

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I've talked to Dr. Williams about that tradition. He said it seemed kind of pointless playing for a bunch of people at that house that wouldn't have the full appreciation for it. He said he was sad to see it go, but that it was time for it to go.

I was fortunate enough to be there for one of the last times it was done in 2009.

• Upvote 1

I've talked to Dr. Williams about that tradition. He said it seemed kind of pointless playing for a bunch of people at that house that wouldn't have the full appreciation for it. He said he was sad to see it go, but that it was time for it to go.

I was fortunate enough to be there for one of the last times it was done in 2009.

--

Do you know when these recordings were made?

At Silver's request, here are a few tunes from the McAdow era marching band. These were recorded with two mics stuck in front of 125 os so members in the old band room which is now torn down. This recording was also done using vacuum tubes as transistors were not so common then!

The Fanfare is from a Wagner opera and was used to open each pre-game. Mr. McAdow liked circus marches and at halftime, the refrain from Robinson's Grand Entry was usually played while the band got into its 'NTS" formation, Then, the fight song was played as the band marched off the field still in the formation.

The fight song is the original version circa 1938 or so and the current version was done in 1976. I have no idea when the U N T Eagles chant started. It would be nice to revive the original fight song for next season's 100th football anniversary.

The Alma Mater was always played at pre-game just before the National Anthem.

Please enjoy!

http://www.4shared.c...01_Fanfare.html

http://www.4shared.c...rand_Entry.html

http://www.4shared.c...Fight_Song.html

http://www.4shared.c..._the_Green.html

*from his obit... this might account for his fondness of circus marches.

"A Denton resident for 56 years, McAdow was born the first child of William and Agnes McAdow on November 17, 1904, in Greenvilee, Illinois.McAdow's father was a professional trumpet player, composer, and band director. Maurice began his musical career playing cornet in a municipal band in Anthony, Kansas. At the age of 16, he played with tent shows and stock companies."

I don't remember "the refrain from Robinson's Grand Entry" as part of their routine, but in my early years of watching them I mainly saw the band perform at half-time of homecoming. I was part of the massed HS bands out there with them, and we were busy getting off the field whilst the NT band got into formation to finish the show.

I do remember that they played the Wagner fanfare as part of their grand entrance.

If the current band is remotely interested in doing their own grand entry in the future (I won't make an insulting remark at this point), they don't have to write a new fanfare. All they have to do is expand the musical exclamation point that they play when we make first downs. It's a big sound, the band gets into it quickly, and the band can then quickly go into the fight song after playing it.

• Upvote 1

--

Do you know when these recordings were made?

In the early 60's if I recall correctly. In those days, the concert band (the top band at the time) did not crank up until the spring semester and you could not audition for it unless you marched. For example, in the recording, one of the musicians went on to be the principal clarinetist of the san Francisco Symphony for many many years.

804 West Hickory is the address and playing the fight song there was started by Winslow in 1976. I have not spoken to their son, Scott McAdow in many years so do not know if he sold the house or not. I understand the rationale for not continuing the tradition but it was a really nice tribute to the McAdows.

Edited by letsgiveacheer

In the early 60's if I recall correctly. In those days, the concert band (the top band at the time) did not crank up until the spring semester and you could not audition for it unless you marched. For example, in the recording, one of the musicians went on to be the principal clarinetist of the san Francisco Symphony for many many years.

804 West Hickory is the address and playing the fight song there was started by Winslow in 1976. I have not spoken to their son, Scott McAdow in many years so do not know if he sold the house or not. I understand the rationale for not continuing the tradition but it was a really nice tribute to the McAdows.

I think Williams said the house was for sale. I'm fairly certain I remember seeing the house for sale.

• 6 months later...

I'm really surprised to hear how different the fight song and alma mater were played back then. I also don't remember hearing that the words were ever "for we know are university is forever in the right" either. Even though I could listen to them on my phone, my computer doesn't want to work with 4shared for some reason, but I can't get the files off my phone, so would somebody mind emailing them to me?

it was also during Winslows tenure that the fight song got dumbed down, and the band stopped playing a fanfare as part of it's pre-game and half time entry.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We need some standard catchy tunes along the lines of "The Orange Blossom Special" or "Wabash Cannonball" to get the crowd engaged and on their feet a few times during the game. I am also tired of sideways marching that looks difficult and awkward but, somehow,not aesthetically appealing. Band competitions and band performances at football and basketball have different purposes and should show it. I hate to say it, but SMU's little band is, in my opinion, more crowd pleasing than ours and while I am on this rant, I think we should have opened up Apogee with Steve Allen's old " This Could Be the Start of Something Big". Great tune that we could still use. Finally, I am so sick of "Fly Like an Eagle" that I try to go to the restroom when anticipating it being played.

• Downvote 1

We need some standard catchy tunes along the lines of "The Orange Blossom Special" or "Wabash Cannonball" to get the crowd engaged and on their feet a few times during the game. I am also tired of sideways marching that looks difficult and awkward but, somehow,not aesthetically appealing. Band competitions and band performances at football and basketball have different purposes and should show it. I hate to say it, but SMU's little band is, in my opinion, more crowd pleasing than ours and while I am on this rant, I think we should have opened up Apogee with Steve Allen's old " This Could Be the Start of Something Big". Great tune that we could still use. Finally, I am so sick of "Fly Like an Eagle" that I try to go to the restroom when anticipating it being played.

Please don't get me started,

But worse, please don't get Silver Eagle started.

I like "Fly Like an Eagle" as well as the next person but it is time to give it a rest for awhile.

Nothing gets me more fired up than a Sousa march and I'd like to see them included in the program. Sooo...if we want something with an eagle reference, why not Sousa's "Under the Double Eagle"?

• Upvote 1

It's a great march but not to be a "know it all", it was written by an Austrian, Josef Wagner, not Sousa. It was one of Sousa's most favorite marches. Hitler's too for that matter.

I wonder, any relation to Richard?

Anyway, of the Sousa Marches, I tend to favor "El Capitan" and the ever popular tribute to the Marine Corp "Semper Fidelis" with Washington Post coming in third.

letsgiveacheer, I've brought this up before, but I remember a spanish-style march, written by a NT graduate student (according to the announcer ) that was performed by the GB at a Texas Stadium game. I really liked it and I've never heard played since. This would be my nomination for a tradition of the GB playing a march on a regular basis at games. I wonder how this could be found in the music archives at North Texas.

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2013 at 2:54 PM, letsgiveacheer said:

Goodness, Silver, you flatter me but I am at a loss here. Sometimes, I can't even remember what productions my opera company did last year!

Well aren't you the diplomat. Every other person on this board would have responded "how the hell would I know?, I'm old (and so are you) and it's been over 35 years ago..... gimme a break....you probably imagined it anyway" .

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

Given the Green Brigade's new location in Apogee, I think that if they started the first strain of "In Storm and Sunshine" at the right time it would literally scare the crap out of a few people on the visiting bench...

Anyway, of the Sousa Marches, I tend to favor "El Capitan" and the ever popular tribute to the Marine Corp "Semper Fidelis" with Washington Post coming in third.

I'm more of a Royal Welsh Fusiliers and Fairest of the Fair kinda guy. Than again, I'm also more a K.L King guy.

• Upvote 2

letsgiveacheer, I've brought this up before, but I remember a spanish-style march, written by a NT graduate student (according to the announcer ) that was performed by the GB at a Texas Stadium game. I really liked it and I've never heard played since. This would be my nomination for a tradition of the GB playing a march on a regular basis at games. I wonder how this could be found in the music archives at North Texas.

The Mexia contingent would love that.

Semper Fidelis is one of my favorites, Silver, but we still some jump up and move around music (Cotton Eye Joe etc.}There are a lot of songs like that played by other schools that get the crowd going and they are not exclusive to those schools. UT, for example, plays the "Deep in the Heart O Texas", but they don't own it. We need more wake up music.