To Everyone Clamoring for Osborn

cl_1_2008

With KRAM on this...always find it difficult to believe that a coach would let his ego get in the way of a WIN, if in fact he felt a win would be more likely with one player more than another.

I never profess to understand college athletes or coaches, but it seems the ego of winning trumps the ego being questioned on personnel decisions.

GMG

The difference is that Coach Mac doesn't have anyone relevant to care about admitting he's wrong to. I'm sorry, but this isn't the Cowboys. It isn't UT. It isn't Florida. Coach Mac making a QB change wouldn't be a blip on the radar as far as his ego is concerned. This ego business, along with "more than meets the eye" is really just message board material - the kind of things that people like to speculate about. If Mac thought Osborn could win him games that DT couldn't, then he'd put him in. Coaches hate losing more than they hate being wrong to about 30 people on a message board and Brett Vito.

I do agree with you about the blip part but the ego stuff is real IMHO I do think Mac would insert me into the starting lineup if he thought it would help him win a game. He'd be wrong, but he'd do it.

That being said - It has always AMAZED me the bunker mentality that exists inside the athletic department. Not everyone but quite a few. Those folks are so sensitive to criticism. Coaches, administrators, and athletes all read this board and get bent out of shape about it. They do think Vito is the Devil.

Mac would look really silly if he put in Oz and he lead us to a comeback victory. People would then question the entire season. We won't see OZ unless DT gets injuried

If that were true I would seriously evaluate if we want a coach like that. All speculation, but would you tell me that you would be ok with a coach saving face by keeping in a quarterback in that wasn't getting it done? Especially when we could get a shot at a bowl, and could have had a run at the SBC title?

Nobody actually thinks any college coach pays any attention to the coaching advise that comes from fans. Likewise anybody that believe that some coaches aren't stubborn and have egos that sometimes effects their decisions is not living in the real world ether.

My take on McCarney is that he has a basic plan to how things are going to be and he is going to be very consistent. He is going to play those that perform the best in practice. This creates good practice habits and may be overall the best plan but you can miss on some excellent players that are just gamers. He is an establish the running game first coach but he must work with the players he has. NT's receiving corp is very suspect and that obviously tempered NT's play calling.

Mac doesn't give a damn about this board or your opinion. He does however have a giant ego and will play who he wants. He will NOT play Osborn, he moved kids around last year to play his recruits, he ran guys off of the team, he does things that make him look good and he sells it at every press conference. He has a 4 year plan and year two and three don't matter at all as long as he gets one more win every year.

Take it to the bank.

• Downvote 1

Mac doesn't give a damn about this board or your opinion. He does however have a giant ego and will play who he wants. He will NOT play Osborn, he moved kids around last year to play his recruits, he ran guys off of the team, he does things that make him look good and he sells it at every press conference. He has a 4 year plan and year two and three don't matter at all as long as he gets one more win every year.

Take it to the bank.

I'm sure not ready to take to the bank that we'll have one more win this year than last year.

• Upvote 5

Take it to the bank.

Who did he run off the team? I don't remember very many departures.

• Upvote 1

I have no idea who quit, who was run off, and who graduated early and didn't return. But here is the list in addition to Darius Carey, trying to limit to scholarship players (either signees or those that earned as walk-ons)

From 2010 roster, not on 2011

Riley Dodge QB

DaWaylon Cook DB

Austin Fitzpatrick TE

Frank Gaines DE

Graylin Hawkins TE/OL

Nick Leppo OL (had injury probs)

BJ Lewis WR

Tyler Stradford WR (yes I know he was a bust, but he still quit mid-season)

Kyle White DT

Willie Taylor WR

Troy Franklin OL

John Noble OL

From 2010, not here in 2012

Chase Bain

Ayodele Adedipe

Other than Dodge, who left for obvious reason, it looks like a bunch of people who did nada

I have no idea who quit, who was run off, and who graduated early and didn't return. But here is the list in addition to Darius Carey, trying to limit to scholarship players (either signees or those that earned as walk-ons)

From 2010 roster, not on 2011

Riley Dodge QB

DaWaylon Cook DB

Austin Fitzpatrick TE

Frank Gaines DE

Graylin Hawkins TE/OL

Nick Leppo OL (had injury probs)

BJ Lewis WR

Tyler Stradford WR (yes I know he was a bust, but he still quit mid-season)

Kyle White DT

Willie Taylor WR

Troy Franklin OL

John Noble OL

From 2010, not here in 2012

Chase Bain

Ayodele Adedipe

I think you're forgetting a DL that never panned out. I can't remember his name, but we were expecting a lot from the kid and he never showed up for Fall practice (gave up football?)

I think I recall a "Wasted scholly" thread spent on him.

I wasn't making a judgement on it, just stating facts.

Of that list, it would have been nice to have Cook last year. I think with all the injuries at TE, it is too bad Hawkins and Fitzpatrick didn't pan out. And obviously, Kyle White was a big body that could have helped at DT. And Carey as a senior would have helped us out a lot.

It also shows some of why we are under the scholarship limit.

Like I said, not judging why they left, since I don't know the reasons behind it.

Wasn't calling you out or anything. And I agree that it would for sure be nice to have some of these kids around had they developed

I don't know Osborne personally, so color me worried: this is a kid who was told his scholly wouldn't be renewed, right?

I don't know the details, all I heard is that he's graduating and won't be returning. Could be his decision, could be someone else's...

Take it to the bank.

Which bank is that? You better check your account....I think it might be overdrawn!

Just stop. You're wasting your time. They just told Osborn he wasn't coming back. You honestly think they're gonna give him a chance to prove them wrong? Believe it or not, coaches have egos. Even Coach Mac. Derek is our quarterback. Support him or don't, that's your choice, but if you think they're gonna give Osborn a shot after pulling his scholly next year, you've lost your mind.

Go Mean Green!

Oh, no.....I think some of us just found our minds.....darn that ego of Coach Mac's. Must not have read this thread.

Just having some fun with you.....need some fun after that game, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1