Cougar King's postgame thoughts

Cougar King

Question...why would anyone...anyone attend Cougar High? Even the City of Houston doesn't support the program...as witnessed by a pathetic crowd of about 22,000 showing up (that's less the 3000 or so Mean green fans). Apparently tailgating is a non-happening at Cougar High and the crowd as pathetic as well. never liked Cougar High getting into the old SWC. Thought it "ruined the neighborhood so to speak) and was super glad the Big XII had the sense not to take Cougar High when they took on parts of the old SC.

Who the heck would want to live in Houston when you could live in Denton and closer to DFW? That place is the home of Enron and large mosquitoes and almost nothing else. Sucks as a place to live and even visit.....built the darn place BELOW sea level and it shows.

So, Cougar King...yes, you guys won the football game. Congratulations...now, the problem is you have to attend Cougar High and live in the Houston area.

In my book that's a big win for the fans of the Mean Green and UNT!

Enjoy that pile of "dodo" that is your new conference...if it even exists in another year!

44-21 is the only response I need. Unless, you're going to blame last night's game on SMU too.

This, this, and this.

Houston is a PERFECT game to schedule. I've dogged RV on occasion, but I certainly have no qualms with his scheduling a home-and-home with Houston. But we can't show up with our "D" game and expect to have a chance.

I agree. I wouldn't mind continuing this series and making a trophy for this, especially since there is some bad blood forming between the two schools and you guys need in-state rivals.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 1

1. DFW is nicer than Houston. Houston is nice but falls short.

2. We beat Houston 2-1 in soccer recently and our girls team has better looking players.

3. The Texans are doing well but haven't won a championship. I wish them well. I root for any Texas teams but A&M when playing anyone else but UNT or the Cowboys.

4. I will root for Houston when they aren't playing UNT.

5. Comparing DFW vs Houston in sports is laughable.

Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars, Rangers, FC Dallas, TCU, SMU, UNT (we have a basketball team), Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders (had throw that in) versus Texans, Astros, Rockets, Houston, and Rice

Seriously?

• Upvote 1

1. DFW is nicer than Houston. Houston is nice but falls short.

2. We beat Houston 2-1 in soccer recently and our girls team has better looking players.

3. The Texans are doing well but haven't won a championship. I wish them well. I root for any Texas teams but A&M when playing anyone else but UNT or the Cowboys.

4. I will root for Houston when they aren't playing UNT.

Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars, Rangers, FC Dallas, TCU, SMU, UNT (we have a basketball team), Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders (had throw that in) versus Texans, Astros, Rockets, Houston, and Rice

Seriously?

Lol, how are you going to bring up FC Dallas and not mention the Dynamo. Second, nobody cares about College Soccer when its all about Football and Basketball. We would take UNT in basketball too.

Edited by Cougar King

What a derailed thread. Who gives a crap about which town is better. Stick to the facts of the game. UNT got their asses handed to them. Terrible Mean Green football, some of the worst I've seen in a long time. And for those who think it's best not to schedule a University of Houston, what are you gonna do in the future? Run away from every FBS team in the state, for fear of them beating the Mean Green? Who's next? Tx State-San Marcos, utsa??????

We either suck it up and play some real football in FBS, drop down to the Southland or, better yet, start a new league with Sul Ross, Tarlton State, A&M Kingsville, etc., so we have a chance of winning some games, or just drop football altogether.

Again, that was terrible football against Houston. I was embarrassed.

And for those who are predicting UNT to be the next Duke in basketball, why not wait until we play a few games first. I'm sure we'll be good and all, but let's not embarrass ourselves with basketball predictions too.

• Upvote 5

Pretty much.

When you google "Best Sports Cities in America", the very first result is The Sporting News, who ranks Dallas at #1. Houston? Scroll down a bit (a good bit) to #24. http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2011-10-04/best-sports-cities-the-list-from-1-to-271

This spare Fox Sports blog has Dallas Top Ten, Houston unranked: http://tshq.co/2011/03/the-ten-best-professional-sports-cities-in-america/

Even freaking Coldwell Banker, trying to help people relocate and buy a house, ranks Dallas top 5 (Houston unranked): http://blog.coldwellbanker.com/best-sports-cities-in-america/

But fine... as the inferiority complex of our resident Houstonian message board pariah dictates, all these lists will somehow be dismissed. We'll choose to ignore the fact that every single list anywhere (and any sane impartial sports fan without a dog in the hunt) would agree that Dallas is, quite simply, operating on an entirely different level as Houston as a sports town. It's essentially common knowledge, but forget all that. Let's go sport by sport in this Georgia Tech vs. Cumberland College level blowout, shall we?

Football - not. even. close. Yay, the cute little Texans are 4-0! Hoorah! One playoff win in their history (Bengals??) compared to the five Super Bowls up I-45, where, you know, the most valuable professional sports franchise in the freaking United States plays. The fact remains that J.P. LaDouceur taking a dump in a helmet (beneath the 21 division championship banners) would essentially double the ratings of a Texans playoff game.

As if this comparison isn't already absurd enough, let's plan on the "HISTORY, VALUE, AND RELEVANCE DOESN'T MATTER!!11!" rebuttal on the way, shall we? Okay. In the last ten years, the barely-on-the-radar franchise down in Houston is 68-95. The Cowboys, mired in their worst decade in franchise history, are 86-72. Okay fine.. "BUT..BUT.. WE WERE AN EXPANSION TEAM AT FIRST!!!11!!". Sure thing. How about the last five years? Just the past five years!! Houston is 41-39... the terrible, irrelevant Cowboys? 47-30. Quite simply, there's not a metric on earth that even begins to joke that these two franchises are on the same level... they've barely played the same sport.

But hey, Houston is a great football town. I mean, it wasn't unprecedented or humiliating at all when the "Save the Oilers" rally drew less fans than an average Monday morning CLASS at UNT. http://www.thefreemanonline.org/features/the-nfl-oilers-a-case-study-in-corporate-welfare/

The Astros... Well, The Astros. That kind of sums it up right there. I feel for the Astros. It's really just comedy at this point, but it's kinda sad. Still, if you want a good laugh, this can burn hours: http://deadspin.com/houston-astros/

The Rockets DO have those two titles... basically the only statistical advantage anywhere in this list... yes, it's a good thing Jordan retired. I really pulled for those Rockets teams back in the day, actually. Fact of the matter is, the Mavericks have established themselves as an elite franchise in the NBA over more than a decade now, while the Rockets have fallen into complete obscurity. The last season the Rockets advanced further than the Mavs was in 1998-99. FOURTEEN YEARS AGO. Even with the TERRIBLE Maverick teams of the 90's factored in, the teams have win percentages within .005 of one another. Balanced against recent performance, national relevance, and the fact that the Mavericks have outdrawn the Rockets by an average of 3-4k for the past decade (as well as the fact that Mavericks rank in the top 5 in merchandise sold over the past decade) make this a pretty clear cut case of Dallas having the better franchise by almost every single metric.

Dallas has a NHL franchise (with a Stanley Cup). Say whatever else you want about it, but there's no franchise in Houston. Dallas is one of those elite cities with all four major sports franchises. Houston isn't. End of story on that one.

It could be worse, Houston. You're probably a better sports town than a few other cities. Tampa, maybe. There's one. But don't bother sniffing around big brother to the north. This is an entirely different sport we're playing up here. It's like Altuve trying to post up Dirk.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lol, how are you going to bring up FC Dallas and not mention the Dynamo. Second, nobody cares about College Soccer when its all about Football and Basketball. We would take UNT in basketball too.

You sad child. I was talking about girls. I guess you aren't in to that kind of thing. Sorry. Proceed.

• Upvote 2

How pathetic. Bringing up game day atmosphere, t shirt sales, comparing cities and wins in other sports. Seriously? About a football game? What does that have to do with anything? Are you so desperate to grab onto anything to to make an argument? That has nothing to do with the game that they completely dominated us in.

STFU and just admit that we got our asses handed to us. You would think that grown men would know how to take a loss. WE GOT F***ING WORKED!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There are a lot of North Texas alums that are 1) from the Houston area and 2) currently reside in the Houston area. So maybe all you DFW-lifers and Dallas-homers should consider that before insulting OUR city.

No disrespect. I like Houston. I recently moved to DFW after being out of this area a long time. I could have moved anywhere in the US but chose here for a reason and will definitely call BS when I hear it from a kid who couldn't cut being away from home.

Edited by UNTexas

Enjoy going to Conference USA part 2. UConn (For only who knows how long), SDSU, Boise State, Rutgers, UCF, Navy, SMU, USF, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Temple will be huge draws for you to continue the Rob being such a formidable venue. Sounds like you'e just changing names with pretty much the same conference. Your sense of superiority is grotesque. You smashed a team that's trying to find itself. Houston is a better team, so it did what its supposed to do. In my world, when you do what your supposed to do, you don't get praise- you're just taking care of business.

You're showing a minimum amount of maturity. This is what happens when you come oh so close to greatness last year only to get stomped by Southern Mississippi in the championship game. Houston is a good team, Cougar King is a tool.

Hey you little, worthless, dip shit Cougar King it's time for you to pack up your toys and go back to your own message board. Oh that's right they don't like your worthless football player wannabee ass either. I fought the urge for a week to not respond to your pseudo smack talk. As we have allowed you, a true unintelligent podunk, to gloat for three pages, it's time for you to use the Cougar pooper scooper and get your shit out of our sandbox.

It is just like a dumb asshole to bring a plastic fork to a knife fight. You should have posted your gloat and let the MEAN GREEN nation take you for an Idiot, rather than keep coming back and proving it to US.

• Downvote 1

The Mavs suck ass, if you're going to put titles on the Texans then I'll pull Rockets. Furthermore, I was talking about the city as a whole. Houston is infinitely better than DFW and Houstonians don't have to reassure themselves by ripping on DFW at every turn. God Forbid I ever mention being from Houston. Inferiority complex. Who cares, once we win the SB, we'll do what the Crack Wagon hasn't done in fifteen years. Either way, talk sports smack...that's all you've got.

• Downvote 1

Pretty much.

When you google "Best Sports Cities in America", the very first result is The Sporting News, who ranks Dallas at #1. Houston? Scroll down a bit (a good bit) to #24. http://aol.sportingn...t-from-1-to-271

This spare Fox Sports blog has Dallas Top Ten, Houston unranked: http://tshq.co/2011/...ies-in-america/

Even freaking Coldwell Banker, trying to help people relocate and buy a house, ranks Dallas top 5 (Houston unranked): http://blog.coldwell...ies-in-america/

But fine... as the inferiority complex of our resident Houstonian message board pariah dictates, all these lists will somehow be dismissed. We'll choose to ignore the fact that every single list anywhere (and any sane impartial sports fan without a dog in the hunt) would agree that Dallas is, quite simply, operating on an entirely different level as Houston as a sports town. It's essentially common knowledge, but forget all that. Let's go sport by sport in this Georgia Tech vs. Cumberland College level blowout, shall we?

Football - not. even. close. Yay, the cute little Texans are 4-0! Hoorah! One playoff win in their history (Bengals??) compared to the five Super Bowls up I-45, where, you know, the most valuable professional sports franchise in the freaking United States plays. The fact remains that J.P. LaDouceur taking a dump in a helmet (beneath the 21 division championship banners) would essentially double the ratings of a Texans playoff game.

As if this comparison isn't already absurd enough, let's plan on the "HISTORY, VALUE, AND RELEVANCE DOESN'T MATTER!!11!" rebuttal on the way, shall we? Okay. In the last ten years, the barely-on-the-radar franchise down in Houston is 68-95. The Cowboys, mired in their worst decade in franchise history, are 86-72. Okay fine.. "BUT..BUT.. WE WERE AN EXPANSION TEAM AT FIRST!!!11!!". Sure thing. How about the last five years? Just the past five years!! Houston is 41-39... the terrible, irrelevant Cowboys? 47-30. Quite simply, there's not a metric on earth that even begins to joke that these two franchises are on the same level... they've barely played the same sport.

But hey, Houston is a great football town. I mean, it wasn't unprecedented or humiliating at all when the "Save the Oilers" rally drew less fans than an average Monday morning CLASS at UNT. http://www.thefreema...porate-welfare/

The Astros... Well, The Astros. That kind of sums it up right there. I feel for the Astros. It's really just comedy at this point, but it's kinda sad. Still, if you want a good laugh, this can burn hours: http://deadspin.com/houston-astros/

The Rockets DO have those two titles... basically the only statistical advantage anywhere in this list... yes, it's a good thing Jordan retired. I really pulled for those Rockets teams back in the day, actually. Fact of the matter is, the Mavericks have established themselves as an elite franchise in the NBA over more than a decade now, while the Rockets have fallen into complete obscurity. The last season the Rockets advanced further than the Mavs was in 1998-99. FOURTEEN YEARS AGO. Even with the TERRIBLE Maverick teams of the 90's factored in, the teams have win percentages within .005 of one another. Balanced against recent performance, national relevance, and the fact that the Mavericks have outdrawn the Rockets by an average of 3-4k for the past decade (as well as the fact that Mavericks rank in the top 5 in merchandise sold over the past decade) make this a pretty clear cut case of Dallas having the better franchise by almost every single metric.

Dallas has a NHL franchise (with a Stanley Cup). Say whatever else you want about it, but there's no franchise in Houston. Dallas is one of those elite cities with all four major sports franchises. Houston isn't. End of story on that one.

It could be worse, Houston. You're probably a better sports town than a few other cities. Tampa, maybe. There's one. But don't bother sniffing around big brother to the north. This is an entirely different sport we're playing up here. It's like Altuve trying to post up Dirk.

Thanks for taking the time to post all this. Unrelated, I think that if you find your identity as a person in the performance of your city's sports franchises, you're the worst kind of loser.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Thanks for taking the time to post all this. Unrelated, I think that if you find your identity as a person in the performance of your city's sports franchises, you're the worst kind of loser.

/Posts Oilers avatar to represent self

What a dumb, stupid week this was.

• Upvote 1

How pathetic. Bringing up game day atmosphere, t shirt sales, comparing cities and wins in other sports. Seriously? About a football game? What does that have to do with anything? Are you so desperate to grab onto anything to to make an argument? That has nothing to do with the game that they completely dominated us in.

STFU and just admit that we got our asses handed to us. You would think that grown men would know how to take a loss. WE GOT F***ING WORKED!!

More than one discussion can happen at the same time, man. It's not that hard. Yeah, UNT got beat. I never predicted otherwise, and don't see how anyone could have done so, to be honest. I'm having internet back and forth with another UNT fan (meangreener/rjmunthe) who claimed Houston > Dallas as a sports town. That's all. I know, though... the internet is HARD!

And the Astros are a far more successful team historically than the Rangers. Newsflash, your owner tried to buy us first. But failed because we weren't in bankruptcy liquidation.

But then your owner tried to buy us first and failed and....PARADOX TIME HOLE. Texas is gone. Welcome to Southern Oklahoma.

Look, I miss Ernest Givins too... but that's not what's happening here. I'm just responding tenderly to "he who shall be banned yet creates new user names to tell us all how stupid this board is".