Comparing Kentucky to Texas? - Vito

NorthTexan95

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/09/quick-sun-belt-call-notes-3.html/#commentzone

While talking about the Sun Belt conference calls this morning Vito compares Western Kentucky upsetting Kentucky to UNT beating Texas or A$M.

Really? It's Kentucky. This is football, not basketball. Seems to me us beating Rice ... or maybe UTEP would be more correct. Honestly, for all the praise the SEC gets from the media they have a lot of bottom level teams.

• Upvote 4

http://meangreenblog...ml/#commentzone

While talking about the Sun Belt conference calls this morning Vito compares Western Kentucky upsetting Kentucky to UNT beating Texas or A$M.

Really? It's Kentucky. This is football, not basketball. Seems to me us beating Rice ... or maybe UTEP would be more correct. Honestly, for all the praise the SEC gets from the media they have a lot of bottom level teams.

It reads: "Texas Tech or Texas A&M"

And what I think he means is that those schools have a higher profile in the state than NT. Just as Kentucky does over WKU. He's not speaking specifically to football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And what I think he means is that those schools have a higher profile in the state than NT. Just as Kentucky does over WKU. He's not speaking specifically to football.

I thought for sure it said Texas. Vito may have changed it or I could have read it wrong. Still, I don't consider Kentucky to be in the same class as either Texas Tech or A$M.

He changed it because I copied and pasted his direct quote in the thread "Pesky Mean Green" and it clearly states Texas. He's playing CYA now.

• Upvote 1

I thought for sure it said Texas. Vito may have changed it or I could have read it wrong. Still, I don't consider Kentucky to be in the same class as either Texas Tech or A$M.

Again, the comparison is with regard to profiles of schools in the same state. (Football-wise you are correct - Kentucky isn't in the same class as Tech or A&M. But he is not comparing Kentucky to A&M or Tech. What he is saying is that the people of the state of Kentucky woke up on Sunday to the papers reading: WKU BEATS KENTUCKY! People, in Kentucky, stood up and took notice. It was a pretty big deal not because Kentucky is great at football but because they are Kentucky.

• Upvote 1

Again, the comparison is with regard to profiles of schools in the same state. (Football-wise you are correct - Kentucky isn't in the same class as Tech or A&M. But he is not comparing Kentucky to A&M or Tech. What he is saying is that the people of the state of Kentucky woke up on Sunday to the papers reading: WKU BEATS KENTUCKY! People, in Kentucky, stood up and took notice. It was a pretty big deal not because Kentucky is great at football but because they are Kentucky.

That's a whole lot of assuming on your part and I just don't buy it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Is he? Or did the guy just make a simple typo?

I think he is. I've always like Vito, but I think being banished during the Dodge years and not having full access now has jaded his thoughts. Plus, working for the DRC will tend to do that to a person's attitude about North Texas.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think that's exactly what he meant...

• Upvote 1

Kentucky football has always been pretty bad to mediocre. So, it would be like us beating Baylor...which we already did in 2003.

I don't think the college football public really is shocked by Western Kentucky beating Kentucky. And, honestly, I don't think it was all that shocked by Texas State beating Houston. I think people probably thought, "Yeah, well...Phi Slama Jama just didn't take N.C. State seriously enough."

This.

Kentucky is their school. When WKU beats the states biggest and most popular school people take notice.

Kentucky football has always been pretty bad to mediocre. So, it would be like us beating Baylor...which we already did in 2003.

More like beating Indiana, which we did LAST YEAR!!

SEC last place team=Big 10 last place team.

The people of Kentucky (you know, that hot bed of football recruiting) woke up Sunday morning and thought"I wonder how bad Alabama beat Arkansas."

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

This.

Kentucky is their school. When WKU beats the states biggest and most popular school people take notice.

Doesn't seem that hard to comprehend does it... Vito is either too negative, too much of a kiss ass, doesn't try hard enough, doesn't care about the program, or doesn't know what he's talking about. Again... With this fan base he just can't win.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Doesn't seem that hard to comprehend does it... Vito is either too negative, to much of a kiss ass, doesn't try hard enough, doesn't care about the program, or doesn't know what he's talking about. Again... With this fan base he just can't win.

Comparing beating Kentucky in the state of Kentucky and beating Texas or Texas A&M in the state of Texas is plain football stupid, no matter who you are.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

25 years ago, we lost to Texas. A godawful Texas team that only beat 3 other teams that year, and finished 4-7.

They sucked. We still lost. Doesn't stop people from lamenting the lost opportunity, a quarter of a century later.

Nobody cares about Kentucky football... Except people in Kentucky. They care about it like t-shirt douchebags care about Texas here in Texas.

WKU beat the flagship school in the state in a marquee sport. The school their idiot douchebag students represent and support, the school that Kentucky residents who probably couldn't spell their own state, much less get into college there or anywhere else, wear shirts for.

WKU has always been a legit basketball school. And they beat a top 5 Louisville a few years ago on the court. The one thing they've always had as a strike against them is that they weren't playing top division football. This is year 4, and already they knocked off the biggest school in the state.

It's a big deal. Whatever it's worth to have scoreboard in that state, they've got it now.

25 years ago, we lost to Texas. A godawful Texas team that only beat 3 other teams that year, and finished 4-7.

They sucked. We still lost. Doesn't stop people from lamenting the lost opportunity, a quarter of a century later.

Nobody cares about Kentucky football... Except people in Kentucky. They care about it like t-shirt douchebags care about Texas here in Texas.

WKU beat the flagship school in the state in a marquee sport. The school their idiot douchebag students represent and support, the school that Kentucky residents who probably couldn't spell their own state, much less get into college there or anywhere else, wear shirts for.

WKU has always been a legit basketball school. And they beat a top 5 Louisville a few years ago on the court. The one thing they've always had as a strike against them is that they weren't playing top division football. This is year 4, and already they knocked off the biggest school in the state.

It's a big deal. Whatever it's worth to have scoreboard in that state, they've got it now.

I agree, but it doesn't compare to beating today's Texas or Texas A&M in this state. Dumb comparison, and made strickly for shock value (unless Vito literally does not understand college football).

I'm sure it accomplished it's goal and he got lots of hits on that blog entry. .

Now, if WKU had beaten UK in the 1st round of the tournament last year...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Kentucky is a bottom feeder in the SEC. They are not a football factory like some of our Texas programs. I can't even think of a good Texas program to compare them to. I think they are more like Indiana and WKU is more like Indiana State. It's an upset, but they beat a weak team, not a title contender, or even middle of the pack team. Congratulations, WKU looks good, but it was Kentucky. I thought ULM was more impressive in their loss to Auburn.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1