Comparing Kentucky to Texas? - Vito

NorthTexan95

Outside of people on this board, has anyone (other than a WKU grad) mentioned this game to you?

It's a nice win, but nothing close to beating UT or A&M.

obviously... because UNT beating the Longhorns would make national headlines... people in Washington would be discussing the game for weeks on end... beating the Aggies would have readers in Florida scouring the internet about the upset of the century...

come on... let's not think that UNT beating one of those two programs right now would be the biggest news ever

• Upvote 1

obviously... because UNT beating the Longhorns would make national headlines... people in Washington would be discussing the game for weeks on end... beating the Aggies would have readers in Florida scouring the internet about the upset of the century...

come on... let's not think that UNT beating one of those two programs right now would be the biggest news ever

UNT beating this year's Texas would ABSOLUTELY be national news and would have college football fans talking coast to coast. Just look at ULM - Arkansas. The same could have been said for A&M If we had beat them before Florida.

Hell, I think we got more national pub playing K State, a ranked team, to within 2 TDs than WKU did for their victory over a consistently bad Kentucky team.

It's funny how some issues on this site make people lose all focus on logic. Vito is one of those issues. Seems one faction thinks he can do no wrong, while another faction thinks he never gets anything right. Truth is in the middle.

On this issue he is completely off base. But it was probably done intentionally to create hits on his site, so congrats to BV on that end.

• Downvote 1

Outside of people on this board, has anyone (other than a WKU grad) mentioned this game to you?

It's a nice win, but nothing close to beating UT or A&M.

Believe it or not college ball is largely regional. Other than the fact that my co-workers know I went to UNT, no one in the office can keep all the Texas schools straight. They mix up A&M, UT, & Texas Tech ALL THE TIME. Beating the Longhorns would hardly move the needle here. Us defeatiing USC or UCLA would.
  • Upvote 3

It's funny how some issues on this site make people lose all focus on logic.

word... like how someone makes one analogy and there has to be a thread about how terrible of a reporter he is because of this...

you guys take everything way too seriously... if the paper is that bad and he is such a bad reporter, why do you pay this much attention to it?

• Upvote 3

Believe it or not college ball is largely regional. Other than the fact that my co-workers know I went to UNT, no one in the office can keep all the Texas schools straight. They mix up A&M, UT, & Texas Tech ALL THE TIME. Beating the Longhorns would hardly move the needle here. Us defeatiing USC or UCLA would.

ULM-Arkansas led off every sportcenter broadcast for 24 hours. Where was WKU-UK?

Beating a top 25 team, especially the Evil empire of the Longhorn, is anything but regional.

Doesn't seem that hard to comprehend does it... Vito is either too negative, too much of a kiss ass, doesn't try hard enough, doesn't care about the program, or doesn't know what he's talking about. Again... With this fan base he just can't win.

It doesn't matter who you are in this program, out of this program, running this program, running this program in the ground, funding the program, stealing funds from this program, for this program, against this program, involved alumni, uninvolved alumni, MGC member, Alumni member, member of both, member of neither, pro worm, pro sow, love the bridge, hate the bridge's locale, pro Fouts, pro Apogee, or just don't give a damn about any of it, YOU CAN'T WIN EVER!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOLO

Edited by Grant.UNT
  • Upvote 1

I see what you're saying- and I agree- but I think beating Texas (and Texas alone) definitely moves the needle in Southern California, as well as in my pants.

If SJSU upset USC, we'd definitely be talking about here in the Greater State.

• Upvote 1

ULM-Arkansas led off every sportcenter broadcast for 24 hours. Where was WKU-UK?

Beating a top 25 team, especially the Evil empire of the Longhorn, is anything but regional.

You make the mistake in thinking everyone watches ESPN, or cares about college ball, as much as we all seem to. I can't tell you how many times people think the Aggies have Bevo, or the Longhorns have Midnight Yell or that Texas Tech is in the SEC now (or pick your obvious traditional to those who grew up in Texas thing). People by and large care about their team (whether they went there or otherwise) and maybe keep up with the teams that their co-workers have. So, yeah the USC, UCLA, and other various fans usually see if we won because they know how much it matters to me. Edited by CMJ

You make the mistake in thinking everyone watches ESPN, or cares about college ball, as much as we all seem to. I can't tell you how many times people think the Aggies have Bevo, or the Longhorns have Midnight Yell or that Texas Tech is in the SEC now (or pick your obvious traditional to those who grew up in Texas thing). People by and large care about their team (whether they went their or otherwise) and maybe keep up with the teams that their co-workers have. So, yeah the USC, UCLA, and other various fans usually see if we won because they know how much it matters to me.

Ah, okay, I was under the assumption we were talking about college football fans, not the casual observer, or fans of X program. Outside that context, of course it would be relegated to regional status.

No one I work with knows or cares a thing about most sports. If I told them we beat Texas, they'd say "at what?" and I'd die a little.

To the point of the original post, beating Kentucky is purely a regionally-significant victory in anything other than basketball, and probably not analogous to defeating Texas in football.

You make the mistake in thinking everyone watches ESPN, or cares about college ball, as much as we all seem to. I can't tell you how many times people think the Aggies have Bevo, or the Longhorns have Midnight Yell or that Texas Tech is in the SEC now (or pick your obvious traditional to those who grew up in Texas thing). People by and large care about their team (whether they went there or otherwise) and maybe keep up with the teams that their co-workers have. So, yeah the USC, UCLA, and other various fans usually see if we won because they know how much it matters to me.

So your saying that people who aren't sports fans won't notice? I don't think I disagree with you there. Anyone who follows college football even casually would absolutely know, like they knew about ULM. Many who follow the horns, OU, and TCU have no idea the WKU-UK game was ever played,. That wouldn't be the same with fans of Louisville, Alabama, and Georgia that happen to live in Kentucky if we were to beat UT.

Many people who know I am a Mean Green fan have made it a point to come up and tell me how well we played in a loss to K St. Amazingly enough, they didn't say "and WKU also beat UK. They're in your confernce, right?" They don't even know that game was played.

So your saying that people who aren't sports fans won't notice? I don't think I disagree with you there. Anyone who follows college football even casually would absolutely know, like they knew about ULM. Many who follow the horns, OU, and TCU have no idea the WKU-UK game was ever played,. That wouldn't be the same with fans of Louisville, Alabama, and Georgia that happen to live in Kentucky if we were to beat UT.

Many people who know I am a Mean Green fan have made it a point to come up and tell me how well we played in a loss to K St. Amazingly enough, they didn't say "and WKU also beat UK. They're in your confernce, right?" They don't even know that game was played.

I'm not saying folks not into fans wouldn't notice. I'm saying most fans of college football are more a fan of their team than the sport. Just like every other sport (but the NFL probably). The average Dodger fan couldn't you more than maybe three players on the Rangers. Most Indians fans probably couldn't name more than a couple of guys who play for the SF Giants. Most fans are fans of their teams more than fans of the sport, so they follow their team (and to a lesser extent their rival, or division/conference mates).

I have a friend whose family has had USC tickets for like 25 years. I'd say she's a college football fan (she was even a trainer for the team when she was in school!). But she's really only knowledgeable about the PAC 12 and Notre Dame. That's just how it often is.

BTW - I remember last week after Auburn lost to Mississippi State and Alabama blew out someone. Here was an actual conversation between two co-workers as best as I can recall.

Co-Worker #1:(Auburn Alum) -- It was a bad week for us again.

Co-Worker #2 --- Really? Yall looked so good last week beating Michigan.

Co-Worker #1 --- That was ALABAMA. That is our main rival! We always say Roll Tide Roll down the toilet bowl! We are not the same thing!

C-Worker #2 --- Oh sorry. I knew you guys were in Alabama! I just follow Michigan because my dad went there.

I think this is nearer the reality of most fans than people like us.

BTW - I remember last week after Auburn lost to Mississippi State and Alabama blew out someone. Here was an actual conversation between two co-workers as best as I can recall.

Co-Worker #1:(Auburn Alum) -- It was a bad week for us again.

Co-Worker #2 --- Really? Yall looked so good last week beating Michigan.

Co-Worker #1 --- That was ALABAMA. That is our main rival! We always say Roll Tide Roll down the toilet bowl! We are not the same thing!

C-Worker #2 --- Oh sorry. I knew you guys were in Alabama! I just follow Michigan because my dad went there.

I think this is nearer the reality of most fans than people like us.

I think that is nearer the reality of most women (no offense, Michagb, you aren't most women) than people like us.

And to those people, it doesn't matter who beats who if it isn't the team that they barely keep an eye on.

That is not what Vito was talking about, and we all know that.

Vito F'ed up. It ain't no big deal. You know he did because HE knows he did and went back and changed the article.

Still say he did it for shock value, but once he started getting questions, ego got the better of him.

Edited by UNT90