LSU Board predicting JJ next head coach

Harry

So what you are saying is that you are not a college football fan? Dan McCarney was not an unknown.

I was not even 20 when I could already name every D1 conference, membership and school mascots off the top of my head. I knew who the Stoops were before Bob won a title. I was making road trips to support a team (UTEP) that at one point was the losingest D1 Texas football program of all time.

I would not consider myself a casual fan; maybe now, but not back then.

I remember vividly Seneca Wallace running in and around the big twelve, but never bothering to see who the coach was. He was a highlight reel on Sportcenter just about every week, but keep in mind that program was never in a Big XII title discussion.

Maybe it is because I am relatively young to the scene, but I believe to appreciate what DMac did at Iowa State you had to have been aware of how dreadful they were before they arrived. My NCAA "fandome" started about the time I was entering college, so 1997.

This is not a knock on DMac, and I think he is a great coach. But your statement makes me wonder if some of you longtime UNT fans (not sure if this is you) tend to glorify the man because of your Fry nostalgia.

...I'll probably get some -1s for that last statement. whatevs.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I was not even 20 when I could already name every D1 conference, membership and school mascots off the top of my head. I knew who the Stoops were before Bob won a title. I was making road trips to support a team (UTEP) that at one point was the losingest D1 Texas football program of all time.

I would not consider myself a casual fan; maybe now, but not back then.

Corby?

• Upvote 1

I'm a pretty big college football fan. My college football consciousness started somewhere in 2001-2002. Until I heard we were interested in Mac, I had no idea who he was.

97and03 can look down his nose at me all day long, and I am nude to his accusations. I'm an idiot and a terrible fan.

I'd be willing to bet most college football fans still don't know who coach Mac is. It's a big world, and for some reason, players are more notable in college football than coaches.

I'm a pretty big college football fan. My college football consciousness started somewhere in 2001-2002. Until I heard we were interested in Mac, I had no idea who he was.

97and03 can look down his nose at me all day long, and I am nude to his accusations. I'm an idiot and a terrible fan.

I'd be willing to bet most college football fans still don't know who coach Mac is. It's a big world, and for some reason, players are more notable in college football than coaches.

You're just a little late. Honestly, Dan McCarney's name was all over the place in the mid to late '90's. I never had any real interest in Iowa State, but I was a fan of Dan McCarney back then.

Not to doubt the others' fandom, but I am a little perplexed as to how a big-time college football fan in the mid to late '90's could fail to know who Dan McCarney was. I don't really follow the Big XII that closely, but I could fairly easily name all the Big XII coaches off the top of my head. Beyond that, Dan McCarney was a darling of the sports press for a year or two back there.

I have a hard time remembering the mid to late 90s, much less who was coaching an obscure Big 12 team.

I think the original comment was made in the context that neither Mac or Aston was on any fans list when they were hired, but maybe not.

Edited by UNT90

I'm not concerned about a single blogger. I saw JJ listed as a likely candidate three separate places AND messaged some (admittedly so so) SEC people I know/connections I have about what they were hearing - hence my concern.

It's far from a done deal (I'm not one to throw percentages around here) but JJ has a much better shot at this job than I thought 24 hours ago. I doubt he's even the TOP choice, unlike the blogger I linked, but he's popping up a lot of places. I'd guess he's in the top 6 or so names they're gonna choose from anyway.

Lots of smoke, not sure yet about any fire. They could do a lot worse than Jones, but his record the last two years is not going to impress many outsiders. Maybe his victory against LSU in Baton Rouge will serve him well, Karen Aston apparently lit up UT's radar with her team's play in Austin.

Maybe the time is ripe for RV to visit with Johnny, figure out what the number needs to be to get him to stay and announce his intention to stay along with his new LONG term contract...let Tony announce his intention to stay at the same time... hey a guy can dream no? GMG

Lots of smoke, not sure yet about any fire. They could do a lot worse than Jones, but his record the last two years is not going to impress many outsiders. Maybe his victory against LSU in Baton Rouge will serve him well, Karen Aston apparently lit up UT's radar with her team's play in Austin.

The comments made by the Texas women's Athletic Director about her experience with a Karen Aston coached Mean Green team back in December.

We played Tennessee and got beat, but I thought our team was in great shape there. Well, the little Mean Green came down and they were mean and green all over us. I had to fly out the next morning to Washington D.C. So, after that game, I had to take a car service to Dallas to catch my flight out of Dallas. I am sitting in the car for three-and-a-half hours thinking about what I had just seen. It was like the mighty-mights had chewed our socks up to our knees. We were down 15 late and scrambled back and won. I just remember watching those players play and how hard they played and fought and how fundamental they were. You had five to seven kids blocking out bigger players. You had pressure, and they made us play. They were not very big and pretty undermanned Finally, our size and depth wore them out. I drove for three-and-a-half hours thinking that is how you play." - UT Women's Athletics Director Chris Plonsky

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Maybe the time is ripe for RV to visit with Johnny, figure out what the number needs to be to get him to stay and announce his intention to stay along with his new LONG term contract...let Tony announce his intention to stay at the same time... hey a guy can dream no? GMG

You want to give JJ a third contract in three years? He has signed for six more years remaining on a seven year contract with a beginning base of 450K.

Frankly as in the case of Aston, contracts only tie up one party and NT frankly doesn't have enough money to thwart Jones from leaving if he gets a offer from one of the bigs particularly LSU. Jones is not underpaid for a top level Belt coach particularly one who was 9-7 in conference last year.

I am excited to see what JJ can do with a full year of Mitchell and hopefully his cohorts back on the team, but lets not break the bank before he actually does something to merit another increase.

• Upvote 5

I didnt't know who he was either and I followed college football since the SWC days.

• Upvote 2

1334007510' post='635767']

You want to give JJ a third contract in three years? He has signed for six more years remaining on a seven year contract with a beginning base of 450K.

Frankly as in the case of Aston, contracts only tie up one party and NT frankly doesn't have enough money to thwart Jones from leaving if he gets a offer from one of the bigs particularly LSU. Jones is not underpaid for a top level Belt coach particularly one who was 9-7 in conference last year.

I am excited to see what JJ can do with a full year of Mitchell and hopefully his cohorts back on the team, but lets not break the bank before he actually does something to merit another increase.

Gotta Agree

I hope in his current contract it states , we have the right to a home & home series w/ the school who hires him away

• Upvote 2