Spring Two Deep and MGB Updates

Harry

"Dan McCarney took a couple of minutes to talk with me in advance of spring practice today. I will have a few stories and material for the blog coming up before practice kicks off on March 28.

I am sure I will pick out some additional key points once I listen to my tape, but here are a few of the notes that caught my attention right off the bat.

-- Cam Feldt will start out at guard this spring, which is a pretty interesting development considering a lot of people, including me, thought he would be the prime candidate to move in to the spot vacated by Matt Tomlinson. Feldt could still end up at tackle, but he isn't there right now."

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2012/03/a-few-football-notes-1.html

1 Gotta believe Y'Barbo holds down the other guard spot. Right?

2 I think Fortenberry will have his hands full at C fending off B. Feldt, but he's gotta be the front runner.

Lemon is definitely holding down one of the guard spots...if the other spot is battled out between Y'Barbo and Cam Feldt, you gotta think the edge goes to Feldt from everything I've seen, heard, and read, which leaves Y'Barbo on the outside looking in.

I would guess

T - Fortenberry

G - Feldt

C - Y'Barbo

G - Lemon

T - Feeley / Johnson

Fortenberry started at tackle until JJ went down. I would imagine they want to move Fortenberry back to tackle if at all possible.

From Vito's report, Fortenberry is not in the tackle grouping...

I would guess

T - Fortenberry

G - Feldt

C - Y'Barbo

G - Lemon

T - Feeley / Johnson

Fortenberry started at tackle until JJ went down. I would imagine they want to move Fortenberry back to tackle if at all possible.

What makes anyone think that Feldt will see the field? He hasn't played a down in two years and really didn't have a sterling off-season. That is why Mac said he is moved to guard. He is down in the depth chart, not replacing Y'Barbo or Lemon.

The line up will be exactly as it was last year with Feeley filling in at tackle. That is if Lemon heals from his surgery.

Edited by Voice of Reason
  • Upvote 1

Cam Feldt is going to sit???

Not going to happen

There were rumors all season about Feldt not performing well during practice.

You don't think his move to guard even slightly validates that?

I would think, if anything, this move either 1) raises questions about his potential or 2) makes one wonder about our depth at tackle.

• Upvote 1

This is in no way a shot at any of our players, but it would be a HUGE letdown if Cam Feldt does not come in here and stake his claim as a stud all-conference o-lineman...simply for the fact that he was supposed to be.

I know the argument will be that maybe another one of he guys will be that player, and my counter to that would be then we should have had 2

This guy was brought in here to be the man...preferably at tackle...and if he turns out to be a depth chart guy, then I'm going to be a little upset. Not at the coaches or any of that garbage, but the situation in general. This is a guy I was counting on to be a pillar.

• Upvote 1

This is in no way a shot at any of our players, but it would be a HUGE letdown if Cam Feldt does not come in here and stake his claim as a stud all-conference o-lineman...simply for the fact that he was supposed to be.

I know the argument will be that maybe another one of he guys will be that player, and my counter to that would be then we should have had 2

This guy was brought in here to be the man...preferably at tackle...and if he turns out to be a depth chart guy, then I'm going to be a little upset. Not at the coaches or any of that garbage, but the situation in general. This is a guy I was counting on to be a pillar.

I'm sorry, but based upon what? A Rivals 4-star ranking?

I'd expect in 2 year's time you'll have a line of C. Feldt - Lemon - B. Feldt - Y'Barbo - Jornson...but next year to expect a kid with no college experience and 2 years removed from competitive football to step in and easily win either the 1 open spot on the line over numerous returnees or to un-seat 4 good starters seems a bit unrealistic.

• Upvote 2

I tried to tell people from the beginning, he will not see playing time here. Boone, on the other hand, has a very good chance to do so. I was disappointed too to be honest, but you guys have to understand even Rivals can be wrong they're not perfect, and Cam never deserved to be a 4* player. He blocked 180 pound DE's in 2A high school and hasn't been able to adjust to guys his size.

Interesting thing I see is Hilbert Jackson starting at corner, and DQ Johnson behind him. Maybe I'm wrong, but that scares me a lot. I didn't see much from Jackson last season, maybe someone else has better insight, but I was hoping for DQ Johnson to at least be an average SBC corner. I'm really excited to see what Freddie Warner, Laramie Lee, and Kerry Swarn can do over the next 3 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That pillar is presently 55th out of 75 in off-season performance. I would prefer to see a piller/leader of the team in the Top 10 or even No.1. Boutwell, Y'Barbo' Fortenberry, Ellard and Feeley. There are four of your starting Olinemen. There are your pillers.

• Upvote 2

That pillar is presently 55th out of 75 in off-season performance. I would prefer to see a piller/leader of the team in the Top 10 or even No.1. Boutwell, Y'Barbo' Fortenberry, Ellard and Feeley. There are four of your starting Olinemen. There are your pillers.

I've really enjoyed following the off-season workouts via Facebook this year. It looks like it's been an effective bonding experience for the players as well as being a practical outlet for their physical (and diet-al(?)) development. I'm really impressed with Nic Summerfield...former walk-on is presently second in the off-season workouts. Gotta love someone who has truly worked his way on to the field.

I've really enjoyed following the off-season workouts via Facebook this year. It looks like it's been an effective bonding experience for the players as well as being a practical outlet for their physical (and diet-al(?)) development. I'm really impressed with Nic Summerfield...former walk-on is presently second in the off-season workouts. Gotta love someone who has truly worked his way on to the field.

I can do nothing but agree with that statement... but is size is just too small

I've really enjoyed following the off-season workouts via Facebook this year. It looks like it's been an effective bonding experience for the players as well as being a practical outlet for their physical (and diet-al(?)) development. I'm really impressed with Nic Summerfield...former walk-on is presently second in the off-season workouts. Gotta love someone who has truly

worked his way on to the field.

/krammed

• Upvote 1

What makes anyone think that Feldt will see the field? He hasn't played a down in two years and really didn't have a sterling off-season. That is why Mac said he is moved to guard. He is down in the depth chart, not replacing Y'Barbo or Lemon.

The line up will be exactly as it was last year with Feeley filling in at tackle. That is if Lemon heals from his surgery.

This is correct as it stands right now.

Johnson - YBarbo - Fort - Lemon - Feeley

Johnson and YBarbo did a very nice job on the left once they got in sync. Lemon got his butt kicked some, but for a frosh he did alright and should be quite good this coming year. Fort is like a rock in the middle and Feeley should have played at right guard last year. He'll do well at RT this year.

This is correct as it stands right now.

Johnson - YBarbo - Fort - Lemon - Feeley

Johnson and YBarbo did a very nice job on the left once they got in sync. Lemon got his butt kicked some, but for a frosh he did alright and should be quite good this coming year. Fort is like a rock in the middle and Feeley should have played at right guard last year. He'll do well at RT this year.

Yes yes and yes