Are we against going to other tournaments?

If ever there was a year it make sense, it would be one where the majority of the team is young, and could get experience playing tournament basketball.

The CIT could be a nice fit. I am very torn on this to be honest, because I hate the buy in aspect, but I'd love to see the kids get a chance to play another game or more. The money would probably be better served elsewhere though.

And no, we have nowhere near the numbers to be considered for the NIT Lonnie.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Not sure I understand the "buy-in" part.

Didn't we go through this last year? We were hoping UNT might get an NIT bid, then the CBI bid.

Not sure it is worth it to do any other tournament other then the NIT.

Not sure I understand the "buy-in" part.

Didn't we go through this last year? We were hoping UNT might get an NIT bid, then the CBI bid.

Not sure it is worth it to do any other tournament other then the NIT.

Just for the record, the NIT isn't a pay to play deal. The CBI and CIT both require a financial commitment to play, more for a home game. Probably isn't worth it, because we're unlikely to sell enough seats to make it worth our while.

Just for the record, the NIT isn't a pay to play deal. The CBI and CIT both require a financial commitment to play, more for a home game. Probably isn't worth it, because we're unlikely to sell enough seats to make it worth our while.

I know what you are saying, but I know five seats that will be sold for anymore more home games!

If ever there was a year it make sense, it would be one where the majority of the team is young, and could get experience playing tournament basketball.

The CIT could be a nice fit. I am very torn on this to be honest, because I hate the buy in aspect, but I'd love to see the kids get a chance to play another game or more. The money would probably be better served elsewhere though.

And no, we have nowhere near the numbers to be considered for the NIT Lonnie.

walken1.jpg

This post...its good. I can't say I disagree at all....with it.

Edited by Coffee and TV

Thanks, basketball guys, for the insight. I just don't know as much about the other basketball tournaments. I think in football, sometimes a school barely breaks even on a minor bowl game. Just wasn't sure what the deal was in these basketball tournaments.

For my part, I guess I'd like to see another 20-win season. Selfish? Yes. Wish it had been done during the season and conference tournament. But, I'd say getting 18 wins out of this crew after the two suspensions was a pretty good year.

• Upvote 3

I've been a strong proponent of our participation in the CIT/CBI in recent seasons. However, some of you have made compelling points in opposition to this, and you may have been right. Last season, for instance, our senior-heavy squad may not have had much to gain from it. By contrast, I believe that it is crucial to pursue this option this season for the following reasons:

1. We have a young team that needs more experience. Why not take advantage of any opportunity to play additional games against other quality teams?

2. It's not too big of a stretch to imagine us winning a couple games and continuing our 20-win streak. That's a fun fact to point out when advertising our program. Also, some non-conference battles in March might truly reveal where we stand heading into next season.

3. After our semifinal win over ASU, Holmen pointed out that our fans "travel well." Not that the team necessarily owes the fans anything, but wouldn't it be fitting during a year of increased attendance to provide an additional game or two?

4. In the entire history of our basketball program, we've only been to the NCAA tournament three times. Some prominent recruits may shy away from a team that doesn't frequently play a little later into March. By accepting bids to additional tournaments, we send the message that we are, one way or another, serious about postseason play (beyond the SBC tournament).

5. Yes, it's expensive. However, it's an investment in the future of our athletic department. I think of it as an advertisement for our school and basketball program. With the absence of a baseball team, we go several months throughout spring and summer with little to no media attention on our athletics. Not only do many of our Texas rivals have baseball, but they have nationally prominent teams. We counter only with softball. Participating in the CIT/CBI certainly won't solve that problem, but it's a step in the right direction and further proof to donors of our financial commitment to athletics.

6. Other respectable programs participate in these tournaments when given the opportunity. While the CIT/CBI don't garner the type of respect that the NCAA/NIT do, they still represent postseason play for good teams. The omission of our name from these lists may wrongly be perceived as our inability to get a bid. Last year the CBI field included schools such as Oregon, Creighton, Davidson, and Central Florida. The CIT boasted a respectable field of teams like Santa Clara, Valparaiso, Ohio, and Iona.

7. One incorrect assumption that can materialize when we choose not to participate is that we don't have the type of athletic budget of the above schools and can't afford to pay. While this may be wholly inaccurate, perception is everything in college sports.

I can respect the perspective of those who don't see much purpose in these fairly obscure tournaments. This year in particular, however, I think we ought to at least give this serious consideration.

• Upvote 1

guys, i think it would be a waste of money. our 18 wins are deceiving, as not all of them counted towards our R.P.I.in addition,while we did get to the championship game, and it may seem like heresy to say so,we just are not that good this year.

While I basically agree with most of what you say, teams with less than stellar resumes play in these tourneys every year.

I seem to remember a few schools with RPI's around ours playing in the CIT in the past, not to mention the CBI inviting a few teams with losing records.

Plus, ULL supposedly was interested in seeking a bid. Our resumes aren't that different.

we are in basic agreement.[ ULL isn't very good either] SMU played in one of the "buy in" tournaments last year and lost a fair amount of money.its expensive for us to travel, but i don't think we would finacially support a home game. our average home attendance was about 4,000,and i don't think that would "tote the note".

I've been a strong proponent of our participation in the CIT/CBI in recent seasons. However, some of you have made compelling points in opposition to this, and you may have been right. Last season, for instance, our senior-heavy squad may not have had much to gain from it. By contrast, I believe that it is crucial to pursue this option this season for the following reasons:

1. We have a young team that needs more experience. Why not take advantage of any opportunity to play additional games against other quality teams?

2. It's not too big of a stretch to imagine us winning a couple games and continuing our 20-win streak. That's a fun fact to point out when advertising our program. Also, some non-conference battles in March might truly reveal where we stand heading into next season.

3. After our semifinal win over ASU, Holmen pointed out that our fans "travel well." Not that the team necessarily owes the fans anything, but wouldn't it be fitting during a year of increased attendance to provide an additional game or two?

4. In the entire history of our basketball program, we've only been to the NCAA tournament three times. Some prominent recruits may shy away from a team that doesn't frequently play a little later into March. By accepting bids to additional tournaments, we send the message that we are, one way or another, serious about postseason play (beyond the SBC tournament).

5. Yes, it's expensive. However, it's an investment in the future of our athletic department. I think of it as an advertisement for our school and basketball program. With the absence of a baseball team, we go several months throughout spring and summer with little to no media attention on our athletics. Not only do many of our Texas rivals have baseball, but they have nationally prominent teams. We counter only with softball. Participating in the CIT/CBI certainly won't solve that problem, but it's a step in the right direction and further proof to donors of our financial commitment to athletics.

6. Other respectable programs participate in these tournaments when given the opportunity. While the CIT/CBI don't garner the type of respect that the NCAA/NIT do, they still represent postseason play for good teams. The omission of our name from these lists may wrongly be perceived as our inability to get a bid. Last year the CBI field included schools such as Oregon, Creighton, Davidson, and Central Florida. The CIT boasted a respectable field of teams like Santa Clara, Valparaiso, Ohio, and Iona.

7. One incorrect assumption that can materialize when we choose not to participate is that we don't have the type of athletic budget of the above schools and can't afford to pay. While this may be wholly inaccurate, perception is everything in college sports.

I can respect the perspective of those who don't see much purpose in these fairly obscure tournaments. This year in particular, however, I think we ought to at least give this serious consideration.

I 100% agree with greendylan. The main thing that this program needs right now is more postseason appearances and experience. It does not matter how many regular wins we have, if we don’t start going to postseason tournaments they are meaningless. I realize that we have had some really great recruiting classes in recent years and my hat is off to Coach Jones and his coaching staff for this accomplishment. However, I fear that this will not last without more postseason appearances. Other coaches in the area and the Sunbelt will be able to tell recruits (if they haven’t started already) that if you go to North Texas you’ll win 20 games every year but you’ll be at home for spring break because they never go anywhere.

Also, we have never won a postseason game ever in the history of the program. Participating in the CIT or CBI will give us a chance to get that monkey off our backs. Keep in mind VCU participated in the 2010 CBI and they went to the Final Four the next year as an #11 seed. There are obvious benefits to participating in a postseason tournament even if it is the CBI or CIT.

Yes it could be a huge financial commitment, however, so is going to a bowl game. I think all of us would agree that it was worth going to the four New Orleans bowls that we were invited to even though we barely broke even for most of them. I also understand and respect the argument wanting to use any possible extra funds for a practice facility (although, I’m not sure that isn’t a false choice). However, my fear is that in a few years without a few more postseason appearances the program will be in a situation to where a new top of the line practice facility (which I’m sure the facility will be) will not matter.