Serial Pit Bull killer in Houston on the loose.

It's funny because if you used Rick's argument but replaced "pitbulls" with "guns", he'd flat flip out, and so would most of this board.

Never known a gun to "go off" on it's own.

Never seen the headline "toddler Crawls into yard and is shot by 7 handguns while no one else was around."

You can't compare an animal with a machine. And you shouldn't.

• Upvote 3

Never known a gun to "go off" on it's own.

Jason Williams would like a word with you.

Never seen the headline "toddler Crawls into yard and is shot by 7 handguns while no one else was around."

Never seen a headline "7 year old shot after playing with gun with gun while no one else was around"?

Jason Williams would like a word with you.

Never seen a headline "7 year old shot after playing with gun with gun while no one else was around"?

1. Jayson Williams killed his limousine driver and eventually pled guilty. The guy had multiple prior gun incidents including firing off a semi- automatic rifle in a parking lot.

2. Whoever left the gun out and loaded shot the seven year old.

3. Weak sauce.

• Upvote 1

Jayson Williams.

Jason Williams would likely rather discuss motorcycle safety.

Right. Wasn't there like 7 of them in the NBA this past decade?

1. Jayson Williams killed his limousine driver and eventually pled guilty. The guy had multiple prior gun incidents including firing off a semi- automatic rifle in a parking lot.

I'm well aware of what happened. My point was that guns can go off by accident.

Huh?

3. Weak sauce.

Weak how? Kids don't shoot other kids with guns that their parents didn't lock up? The same way this kid got attacked from dogs because his parents were strung out?

I'm not equating the two, I'm simply equating Rick's original argument. Hell, why stop at pitbulls, why not any breed that's mangled a kid before? A few incidents of a certain breed getting kids and now we're supposed to ban the breed completely? Its like the Jaws syndrome, a few shark attacks off the coast of Florida and now the beaches in Malibu are empty, its an overreaction.

I'm not equating the two, I'm simply equating Rick's original argument. Hell, why stop at pitbulls, why not any breed that's mangled a kid before? A few incidents of a certain breed getting kids and now we're supposed to ban the breed completely? Its like the Jaws syndrome, a few shark attacks off the coast of Florida and now the beaches in Malibu are empty, its an overreaction.

I think there is some middle ground here. Perhaps a course is necessary to train potential pit owners so they understand what makes these breeds tick.

But why stop there? We will also need a training course for potential Yorkshire Terrier owners.

**clarification

I actually agree with you: pits/guns don't equate, and we don't need another overreaction.

Edited by greenminer

3. Weak sauce.

More poeple die in car crashes than handgun incidents.

If your going to ban a machine, maybe you should start with the automobile

• Upvote 1

I think we'd be better off without sharks. Period.

--We have totally eliminated them in West Texas.. You can still find sharks teeth though (seriously ..ask any geologist in the oil business... likely millions of years old. ).

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

How familiar are you with firearms?

Depends on definition of accident...

1. A friend of mine had a gun on his back seat after hunting , hit a bump, and it fired through the side of his car (his error, unload it) .

2. Know of guns that fell over with no one close that went off.

3. Know of a sonic boom that knocked one off the wall... my country uncle kept it loaded .. but no shell in chamber fortunately..

4. Knew a woman that dropped a handgun after camping (apparently did not know it got into a bundle of clothes she was carrying in from car)... she died.

5. Know a friend that shot off his car's starter when he tried to unload it after being in 15 degree weather.. cold hands I guess, he got to walk miles.

6. Know of several incidents where guns were thought to be unloaded and weren't. I loaned a deer rifle to my father who returned it to me loaded in a case... I was shocked to find it loaded.. since I thought he always unloaded them, he had unloaded the clip, not the chamber.

7. Have an older pump shotgun that somehow "hid" a loaded shell when I it slid back... fortunately I somehow accidentally noticed it go in chamber as I slid it forward...It had not ejected properly .

8. Have even knocked a gun off safety at times without knowing it... fortunately never an accident.

9. Know of people who got too excited and when slid the slide forward too fast accidentally pulled the tigger as well.

My rule: Always check a gun every time to pick it up to see if it is loaded, might even do it twice if a more complicated gun. Trust nothing a person says about it being unloaded. Obviously I am not anti-gun but see no use in these assault weapons.. Guns are not toys... they are tools to me (had cattle) and are needed at times.. rattlesnakes, water moccasins, etc. and unbelievably a 'wild" 6 ft. emu rooster ran and tried to attack my son.. Male animals can be dangerous if they feel you are a threat to them or their "herd". I had the gun with me because of another incident with it. I even have a scar from a common rooster that attacked me when I was a kid.

I'll stand with you in the fight to get roosters banned...solidarity.

My great-uncle John from Thackerville Oklahoma used to make me go gather the eggs every morning for breakfast. One morning he wedged the door shut behind me and fired his .410 at a mystery snake that was never found. Once startled those laying hens and the grumpy old rooster named Zero laid into me lime you wouldn't believe. If I didn't love breakfast so much I'd be right there with you in the anti-rooster fight.

You know whale week would be bitchin.

I get my full share of blowholes right here at GMG.com

My great-uncle John from Thackerville Oklahoma used to make me go gather the eggs every morning for breakfast. One morning he wedged the door shut behind me and fired his .410 at a mystery snake that was never found. Once startled those laying hens and the grumpy old rooster named Zero laid into me lime you wouldn't believe. If I didn't love breakfast so much I'd be right there with you in the anti-rooster fight.

Tom Russell knows a lil something about roosters

• Upvote 1

My rule: Always check a gun every time to pick it up to see if it is loaded, might even do it twice if a more complicated gun. Trust nothing a person says about it being unloaded. Obviously I am not anti-gun but see no use in these assault weapons..

Bingo, always make sure a weapon is unloaded. Also, proper care and cleaning can deter misfires. Much like proper care and maintenance of a car can deter malfunctions and prevent accidents.

As for "assault weapons" What exactly do you consider an "assault weapon"? A legitimate assault rifle (AR) are only sold to the public in semi automatic configuration, meaning, one round fired per pull of thr trigger. They can actually be fun to shoot.

---I was three or four... He [ white leghorn] seemed about as tall as was... torn my face to shreds but I have only one scar left. My father later knocked the devil out of him with a hoe. He was known to even follow him around .... well until then. I think he later killed him.

The Emu --a couple of days earlier he found me while I was checking on cows and did not even know he was around (just wild) he followed me back to a pick-up about a 100 yards away and all I had was a single shot-22 and one shell to shoot snakes ... I kept it pointed at him about five feet away the entire distance. That middle toe of his looked awfully large and dangerous. It look as if he wanted me to know he was the head rooster there and was willing to fight me. The day I shot him he had been circling us and when my son turned his head toward me to say something ... the bird made for him...end of bird.

Bingo, always make sure a weapon is unloaded. Also, proper care and cleaning can deter misfires. Much like proper care and maintenance of a car can deter malfunctions and prevent accidents.

As for "assault weapons" What exactly do you consider an "assault weapon"? A legitimate assault rifle (AR) are only sold to the public in semi automatic configuration, meaning, one round fired per pull of thr trigger. They can actually be fun to shoot.

--An ex-Permian football player might disagree.... a guy put over 90 rounds into his car and most of them into him a couple years ago here on a parking lot. . I am pretty sure the guy in Odessa that killed three cops answering a disturbance call a couple years ago used one too.

--An ex-Permian football player might disagree.... a guy put over 90 rounds into his car and most of them into him a couple years ago here on a parking lot. . I am pretty sure the guy in Odessa that killed three cops answering a disturbance call a couple years ago used one too.

What are you disagreeing with? Fully auto AR's being sold to the public? No, legally, they are not sold to the public. If you are purchasing them illegally, then yes, they are available.

I consider an "assault weapon" any weapon that was originally designed for military use. AK 47's, AR-15's (civilian version of M-16's)...the list goes on and on. They were originally designed for full automatic mode as well as semi-automatic mode. And just because they are "semi-auto" in the gun shop, doesn't mean that they cannot be made full auto again. You can argue all you want about owning one of these weapons for protecting your family etc etc, but for personal protection, you can't beat the old stand by.....a shotgun. It protects you and your family and stray shotgun pellets (unlike stray hi velocity bullets) don't kill people in their homes several blocks away...or even across the street for that matter.

• Upvote 1