Future FB Schedules of All NCAA FBS Schools Link

PlummMeanGreen

Click "WAC" and then click one of their new Texas additions (Home of the River Walk) and then check out their 2013 home schedule.

Simply unbelievable.:blink:

And Texas Southern is the best we can do at North Texas, ie our school who has only been playing football since the early 1900's?

I know we have a killer 2012 OOC schedule beginning with (probably) this year's NCAA football champion and TSU will be a welcome (probable) win and we always need to have some of those kind of games at home, but not as Apogee Stadium's OOC marquee home game for heaven's sake.......still.... we have this new "world class opera hall" that deserves some of the best and more known visiting musicians in the USA--not Elmer Knows-Picker & The Gooey Brown-Tones.

But it's really not so bad a dig to invite some more known teams & their fans to Experience Apogee, too, as seen in this link:

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Just sayin' what others are thinkin' but just not postin'....:(

We have at North Texas what we have most all approved and that approval marked by decades of silence from us--the alums and fans of Mean Green football.

GMG!

PS: Put This Scheduling M.O. In The Mean Green Football Scheduling By-Laws?

Before we play our traditional season opening killer schedule in 2012 and most times on the road, is there any way possible we can get a home game to "always" be our season opener toward the last of August of any year? I notice other schools are still playing some late August season openers.

IMO...North Texas needs to get its future schedules to where we "always' play our season opening game at Apogee Stadium and have a realistic and good chance for a good season opening crowd at Apogee; instead of coming back to Denton 0 and 2 and getting shellecked by some of those Top 10 school's money games we play most seasons and this until Coach D-MAC gets his teams competitive to play the Big Boy money games (which I think he will do in due time).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Click "WAC" and then click one of their new Texas additions (Home of the River Walk) and then check out their 2013 home schedule.

Simply unbelievable.:blink:

Good grief. UTSA has home and homes setup with New Mexico, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Arizona State, Houston, Rice, Virginia, Kansas State, Colorado State, and Baylor. By the time many of those games roll around, they could be very winnable!

Is this just a case of these schools wanting to play with the new shiny toy, and they will soon come back down to our level? Or did we get instantly leapfrogged by a Roadrunner?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Good grief. UTSA has home and homes setup with New Mexico, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Arizona State, Houston, Rice, Virginia, Kansas State, Colorado State, and Baylor. By the time many of those games roll around, they could be very winnable!

Is this just a case of these schools wanting to play with the new shiny toy, and they will soon come back down to our level? Or did we get instantly leapfrogged by a Roadrunner?

Well, if the USF of the Lone Star State develops a football team, they are building the kind of home schedule that if you win at home a school can start getting Top 25 consideration or rankings while North Texas finds every excuse under the sun as to why our 100 year plan for success is so much the better; plus another previous game plan for success for UNT was when we had a former AD who told a fellow alum and myself why the Big West Conference would be so much better a league for UNT to be in than the league that would become CUSA .:blink: "We have met the enemy and the enemy is..... who the hell we've been hiring up there for most of the last 30 years. So go ahead, drink your green koolade but it's the damn truth and most our former HFC careeer w/l records of most every varsity coach we've had up there the last 30 years is the proof in the pudding.

By the way, many athletic employees that that former UNT AD I mention in the above paragraph hired are still on the UNT payroll today after all these "suceessful" :thumbsd: years later since he's been gone, too. What a helluva' peachy job to work in the safe confines and comfort zone of the North Texas athletic departmet where the more successful NCAA FBS schools are hardly coming to Denton by the droves to hire all our success stories away from us.

I was a doubter before, but I now congratulate UTSA on their success and being a model for other schools who could also say "why not us" as part of their mission statement for their next 100 year plan.:huh:

Moral of Story: North Texas has too much going for it "location-wise and constituency-wise" to keep standing still and to allow Sun Belt Conference "so-called" standards of excellance to continue to be our own.

Just sayin' what many of our elect are still silently keeping to themselves.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Toledo has Miami on their home schedule. Not Miami-of Ohio, Miami-Florida. I don't understand why we have to schedule 3 OOC road games for almost every season. We have a great location to sell quality programs. UNT should be able to schedule Miami for an honest home and home, just like Toledo.

The AD needs to do a better job of communicating with fans, and particularly MGC members, what future schedules may look like. We always seem to be the last school to release schedules, and we find out about many of our future opponents through OUR OPPONENT'S websites. Maybe this is because we just don't have anythng to announce??

Having 7 OOC home games scheduled for the next 8 years is ridiculous (if that is all we have scheduled). If there are more scheduled. I wish someone, anyone would let us know.

• Upvote 1

The AD needs to do a better job of communicating with fans, and particularly MGC members, what future schedules may look like. We always seem to be the last school to release schedules, and we find out about many of our future opponents through OUR OPPONENT'S websites. Maybe this is because we just don't have anythng to announce??

Having 7 OOC home games scheduled for the next 8 years is ridiculous (if that is all we have scheduled). If there are more scheduled. I wish someone, anyone would let us know.

The reasons UNT is almost always one of the last to find out their schedule is because of all the money games that the Sun Belt plays. The Sun Belt tailors their schedule around the SEC and the other BCS conferences so their teams can play money games. So once all of the other conferences set their schedules then the Sun Belt makes theirs.

• Upvote 1

The reasons UNT is almost always one of the last to find out their schedule is because of all the money games that the Sun Belt plays. The Sun Belt tailors their schedule around the SEC and the other BCS conferences so their teams can play money games. So once all of the other conferences set their schedules then the Sun Belt makes theirs.

I'd believe this if it wasn't for the fact that we found out we didn't have to play FIU next year by accessing other SBC conference mates' websites and finding out who they were not going to play.

Even if what you say is true, we need to stop acting like all the other SBC schools and figure out what works best for UNT. I promise you, 5 home games a year isn't in this program's best interest.

• Upvote 1

First off - Happy New Years to all!

Quick reminder - the Houston game was moved to 2011 in order to have a recognizable opponent for the stadium opening. This allowed our inaugural season to contain both Houston and Indiana (in OOC) at home this year. That hurts the 2012 schedule but you have to weigh the pros vs the cons. We moved that game and were able to open the stadium in week 2 rather than week 4.

I believe that our OOC home opponents have been pretty solid over the last few years: Tulsa (2008), Ohio (2009), Army (2009), Rice (2010), Kansas State (2010), Houston (2011), Indiana (2011).

I am sure that RV is trying to get another team into Denton but I don't want him to move away from his scheduling philosophy to make it happen. We need wins in 2012 and if that means one less game at home, I am ok with that.

As for UTSA's schedule... Most of those game were scehduled when UTSA planned to move up as an Independent. When the WAC invite came along, it was a perfect alignment of the stars. Half of those games get cancelled if they start winning. As it stands - they are an easy win on the road and it is a great opportunity for a school to recruit that area without risking a loss. In the past, the only option they had was Austin.

I still would like to see them invited to the Belt. It is very impressive that they were able to schedule that many games with recognizable teams and their attendance was outstanding for Year 1.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 2

I am sure that RV is trying to get another team into Denton but I don't want him to move away from his scheduling philosophy to make it happen. We need wins in 2012 and if that means one less game at home, I am ok with that.

As for UTSA's schedule... Most of those game were scehduled when UTSA planned to move up as an Independent. When the WAC invite came along, it was a perfect alignment of the stars. Half of those games get cancelled if they start winning. As it stands - they are an easy win on the road and it is a great opportunity for a school to recruit that area without risking a loss. In the past, the only option they had was Austin.

Several things.

Kinda Oxymoronic to suggest having less home games will lead to a better record, don't you think? Especially when we are playing LSU, K ST, and Houston on the road in OOC.

If teams wannted to go to an area and recruit while also assuring themselves of a win, what better way to recruit the Dallas area than to play at North Texas (easier to beat than TCU or SMU until we prove otherwise). Just flawed logic.

And lastly, why are we needing to hurry up and move a name opponent to open the new stadium? You had 3 years to figure that out. Either way, it is a failure by whoever does the scheduling for this program, and it will cost them season ticket holders and GMC members this year.

• Upvote 3

Several things.

Kinda Oxymoronic to suggest having less home games will lead to a better record, don't you think? Especially when we are playing LSU, K ST, and Houston on the road in OOC.

If teams wannted to go to an area and recruit while also assuring themselves of a win, what better way to recruit the Dallas area than to play at North Texas (easier to beat than TCU or SMU until we prove otherwise). Just flawed logic.

And lastly, why are we needing to hurry up and move a name opponent to open the new stadium? You had 3 years to figure that out. Either way, it is a failure by whoever does the scheduling for this program, and it will cost them season ticket holders and GMC members this year.

This is my thought as well

Several things.

I don't disagree with you on some points. But let's not let facts get in the way of emotion.

I will go through them just like you did and then we can agree to disagree.

Houston and K State are return games of series - both team have already traveled to Denton. The return Houston game "would" have been in 2013 but we moved the date to accomodate the stadium opening. LSU is a payday game, we play one of those a year and there is no secret to that. Instead of bitching about it, how about we go out and win it?

As for reworking the schedule at the "last minute" (in the offseason) - we had a coaching change take place. So a new coach is coming in and the department knows we are going to be rebuilding. How do you maximize the marketing? Get the fans in early before the losses pile up. That is basic marketing. If the team had been winning and mature with Dodge at the helm, the schedule probably wouldn't have to be fiddled with to maximize the finicky crowds.

Now on to UTSA - Dallas and Austin/San Antonio are two completely different markets. When a team plays in a market to recruit, they do so with the intention of bringing their recruits into the game. You are not going to get recruits from Austin and San Antonio to drive up to Denton to watch a team play. It just won't happen so I am not sure where you are going with that point... there are 3 schools to play in this area and up until UTSA, there has been only one option down south. What better way to recruit kids in the Austin/San Antonio markets but to beat the living crap out of the home team in the Alamo Bowl? Seems like a win/win to me and the teams do not have to pay a school like North Texas $750K to fill out their home schedule. UTSA has scheduled all series - no money games - so a school can have their cake and eat it too with those series. They can get UTSA for free at home and they can go there and have a cupcake on the road in fertile recruiting grounds.

Schedules are done a few years in advance but the actual dates are not locked in until the offseason. We really had no idea where Indiana was going to pencil us in and I guarantee this board would have been pissing and moaning about opening up the stadium at 0-3 if RV hadn't moved the game. Happy New Year - life is good feller.

• Upvote 1

I don't disagree with you on some points. But let's not let facts get in the way of emotion.

I will go through them just like you did and then we can agree to disagree.

Houston and K State are return games of series - both team have already traveled to Denton. The return Houston game "would" have been in 2013 but we moved the date to accomodate the stadium opening. LSU is a payday game, we play one of those a year and there is no secret to that. Instead of bitching about it, how about we go out and win it?

As for reworking the schedule at the "last minute" (in the offseason) - we had a coaching change take place. So a new coach is coming in and the department knows we are going to be rebuilding. How do you maximize the marketing? Get the fans in early before the losses pile up. That is basic marketing. If the team had been winning and mature with Dodge at the helm, the schedule probably wouldn't have to be fiddled with to maximize the finicky crowds.

Now on to UTSA - Dallas and Austin/San Antonio are two completely different markets. When a team plays in a market to recruit, they do so with the intention of bringing their recruits into the game. You are not going to get recruits from Austin and San Antonio to drive up to Denton to watch a team play. It just won't happen so I am not sure where you are going with that point... there are 3 schools to play in this area and up until UTSA, there has been only one option down south. What better way to recruit kids in the Austin/San Antonio markets but to beat the living crap out of the home team in the Alamo Bowl? Seems like a win/win to me and the teams do not have to pay a school like North Texas $750K to fill out their home schedule. UTSA has scheduled all series - no money games - so a school can have their cake and eat it too with those series. They can get UTSA for free at home and they can go there and have a cupcake on the road in fertile recruiting grounds.

Schedules are done a few years in advance but the actual dates are not locked in until the offseason. We really had no idea where Indiana was going to pencil us in and I guarantee this board would have been pissing and moaning about opening up the stadium at 0-3 if RV hadn't moved the game. Happy New Year - life is good feller.

Happy new year, also.

I think you misunderstood my point about UTSA. If UTSA can do it there, shouldn't the same standard apply to UNT and the fertile recruiting ground of the Dallas/FTW area?? Shouldn't the have your cake and eat it too theory work for UNT and the DFW recriuting market?

So to understand, we just allow Indiana to schedule their game, at our stadium, any time they want? And then they also get to schedule the return game any time they want? Aren't these parameters set up in the contract for the games? I doubt we, or any other FBS school, would fall all over themselves and allow Indiana (a bad team) to run all over them in the contract negotiations. It doesn't seem to happen at other places.

It just reeks of bad planning.

I know it's appealing to schedule big names schools week in and week. We did that in 1995 and it was awful. The team was demoralized and the injuries mounted quickly. We just need to win the games we play and hopefully get into a better conference.

On another note I read that we are playing SMU every year

from 2013 to 2018. Any validity to this? (I read it in an email) If it's true, it's a great start.

• Upvote 2

I know it's appealing to schedule big names schools week in and week. We did that in 1995 and it was awful. The team was demoralized and the injuries mounted quickly. We just need to win the games we play and hopefully get into a better conference.

On another note I read that we are playing SMU every year

from 2013 to 2018. Any validity to this? (I read it in an email) If it's true, it's a great start.

Yes. its a 4 game home and home series which I believe begins in 2013 with the first game at Apogee Stadium. Honest to goodness, though, it will not surprise me if SMU tries to buy us out of this series.

The thing we cannot do at North Texas is schedule for Apogee Stadium with a Fouts Field scheduling mindset. We did not build Apogee to keep thinking small time--Apogee Stadium is "not" a small time football stadium. We have to assume that future demoralizing games will soon be a thing of our past with our 2'nd year HFC who we all hope & believe will build the kind of teams who will be the ones doing the demoralizing and as far as I'm concerned, let that begin with that 4 game SMU football series. I do know whatever number of fans SMU brings to our campus at that 2013 game are going to go back to University Park in complete shock & awe as to what they will see inside our Mean Green Village as they walk across the new Pedestrian Bridge over I-35E to get there.

Ziz Ziglar calls it "stinkin thinkin': It is just so sad that we still seem to think of our future tempered with a past filled with so many promises but rather our seeing mostly failure. It's abysmal to still look at the overall under .500 records of our last umpteen coaches in Denton and even worse that at age 61 my era of UNT students were the last to witness a Mean Green HFC who had a career over .500 W/L record. (Trust me, younger alums, the years have flown by so fast that my head is spinnning since Fry left Denton).

Albeit SMU gets pass after pass and an AQ conference invite with few winning seasons the last 25 years & post Death Penalty. Yet North Texas does not get even one pass just to read other message boards plus the TV market that got SMU into the Big East with all 35,000 of their DFW exes has suddenly become a negative for UNT with our 208,000 DFW NT Exes just to read posts on the CUSAbbs board. (What a crock).

(Does anyone else you ever wish one of those gigantic Texas sink holes would just swallow the entire "freakin' SMU campus)?:rolleyes::)

We (and I do say "we") have bought into so much bullshit up there over the decades that my own BS meter goes up very quickly and is one reason I see no sacred cows up there now since we have not seen much success under their watch. Coach D-MAC & Johnny Jones are on my "just leave em' alone" list and I'm sure there are some minor varsity coaches who would be, too, but it's still football and basketball that pull the train and pay the bills (or should).

We really do have some pretty nice people who work in the UNT athletic dept, for the most part, but "nice" is an expected pre-requisite in the society we live especially those on the state of Texas payroll, but being results driven (more wins than loses) is (or should) be the main part of their contracts because w/o positive results, it all but becomes a moot point and the old MLB Hall of Famer Leo Durocher quote of....."nice guys finish last" becomes applicable..... but I think many of us would agree that nice guys can also finish first, too,

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

@LSU, @Georgia, @Tenn, @Texas, @Flordia, @Arkansas, @Iowa x2.... Is retarted, the only ones that make any sense would be Texas, Ark just because of location but still it never looks good going into those games.

Now Iowa is the only game that I can see us having a chance at winning, but still its in Iowa. How many fans are going to fly/drive to Iowa??? Theres nothing there but trailers and corn fields (sorry Mr. Kokjohn), its true...

Anything can happen but I like my odds against a MAC, CUSA, WAC, MWC or Big East than a Big 12 or SEC team

@LSU, @Georgia, @Tenn, @Texas, @Flordia, @Arkansas, @Iowa x2.... Is retarted, the only ones that make any sense would be Texas, Ark just because of location but still it never looks good going into those games.

Now Iowa is the only game that I can see us having a chance at winning, but still its in Iowa. How many fans are going to fly/drive to Iowa??? Theres nothing there but trailers and corn fields (sorry Mr. Kokjohn), its true...

Anything can happen but I like my odds against a MAC, CUSA, WAC, MWC or Big East than a Big 12 or SEC team

I like that we're playing Iowa instead of the usual UT or OU, but twice in three years with no return game is idiotic on our part. Are we so small in college football that we can't get a return game from a middle of the road big 10 team?

It seems SMU has no problem getting Big 12 teams to come play in their 30K seat stadium. They have 1 OR TWO home games a year against Big 12 competition for the next couple of years. And their other home game is either us or a service academy. That is smart scheduling.

I guess poor old UNT just can't get that done? Someone, anyone, please give me a good reason why.

• Upvote 2

There is no excuse for the crappy scheduling. We have a brand new stadium and we get freaking Texas Southern as our only OOC home game? The Athletic Department needs to hold themsevles to a higher standard, and believe that NT deserves better. I call BS on the exucse that this years schedule is due to getting a good schedule at home last year. Mean Green Club members deserve an explanation as to why we are taking a huge step backwards.

There is still time to fix this, and at this point I still have faith that the right moves will be made. If we absolutely cannot back out of LSU or UH, peace out KSU.

By the way? WTF is with all of the money games in the future and no return games to Denton?

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 2