Mike Leach - Washington State HC

SHOSS

I wonder what his salary will be. Last I checked I don't think WSU pays ALL THAT much for head coaches. Just makes me wonder if UNT had a legitimate shot in landing Leach if they really pursued it.

I can assure you that we had no chance at him, nor we he have been considered for hiring when he had a lawsuit against another state institution.

I have said for years that Leach's next job (even when he was at Tech) would be at a non-AQ in the MWC or at a low-level AQ school out west. Washington State is the perfect place for him. He can do whatever he pleases in an area with little media coverage (see Lubbock, TX) and in a league where offense rules the day. He'll do fine there, alot like he did in Lubbock, but in the end, I doubt that they will ever beat Oregon or USC for the Pac-12 championship.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

I can assure you that we had no chance at him, nor we he have been considered for hiring when he had a lawsuit against another state institution.

I have said for years that Leach's next job (even when he was at Tech) would be at a non-AQ in the MWC or at a low-level AQ school out west. Washington State is the perfect place for him. He can do whatever he pleases in an area with little media coverage (see Lubbock, TX) and in a league where offense rules the day. He'll do fine there, alot like he did in Lubbock, but in the end, I doubt that they will ever beat Oregon or USC for the Pac-12 championship.

This.

Funny I was listening just yesterday to his show on one of the Sirius channels and a caller talked about how it was crazy they fired him and how he'd be a perfect fit at UCLA, on and on. Leach just stayed professional and went "hey that's nice, I look forward to being a coach again". Guess he had it all worked out already.

Lawsuit still pending.

http://www.kplu.org/post/new-wsu-coach-mike-leach-brilliant-controversial

But, I thought it was ridiculous for any school to consider Leach/Leavitt while they had an ongoing lawsuit against their previous employer?

Rick

Well, it did keep UCLA away apparently. He was one of the popular names among their fans, but their AD didn't go after Leach. The story, among those who claim to be in the know, is UCLA brass didn't wanna touch the guy.

Well, it did keep UCLA away apparently. He was one of the popular names among their fans, but their AD didn't go after Leach. The story, among those who claim to be in the know, is UCLA brass didn't wanna touch the guy.

Yeah, and the same internet rumors can be pointed to as the reason he didn't get the job over here, or over there, or at all the other openings in between, yet there he is. A very well paid, head coach at Wazzu, even with a pending suit against his previous employer.

Apparently having their attorney's "drag it out" didn't hurt Leach or Leavitt after all.

Rick

Who cares? Good for Leach, good for WSU since they wanted the guy...but who the heck cares? He was NEVER coming to UNT. The $$$$ was just not there...don't believe it if you wish, but check out what Coach mac is making and what Leach got at WSU.

Since he was never in the mix...ever...for UNT (and I am personally very pleased about that), if you are a Mean green fan this has no impact on you what so ever. Folks, the guy was never a coach at UNT, was not going to be a coach at UNT...please give yourself a break and get over it.

Now, if you are a TT fan, grad, etc. ... I definitely get it. The TT fans may have something to be sore about and want to keep the "fire's burning" so to say...UNT fans...I just don't see the point.

Good luck Coach Leach...and good luck WSU...I hope it works out.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Who cares? Good for Leach, good for WSU since they wanted the guy...but who the heck cares? He was NEVER coming to UNT. The $$$$ was just not there...don't believe it if you wish, but check out what Coach mac is making and what Leach got at WSU.

Since he was never in the mix...ever...for UNT (and I am personally very pleased about that), if you are a Mean green fan this has no impact on you what so ever. Folks, the guy was never a coach at UNT, was not going to be a coach at UNT...please give yourself a break and get over it.

Now, if you are a TT fan, grad, etc. ... I definitely get it. The TT fans may have something to be sore about and want to keep the "fire's burning" so to say...UNT fans...I just don't see the point.

You know K1, we are singing a duet on this one.

Well, except for the good luck part. Any schools or coachs that are in the BCS cartel.....I never wish them well.

Edited by SilverEagle

Lawsuit still pending.

http://www.kplu.org/post/new-wsu-coach-mike-leach-brilliant-controversial

But, I thought it was ridiculous for any school to consider Leach/Leavitt while they had an ongoing lawsuit against their previous employer?

Rick

I think the reasoning around here was that no other Texas public university would take him while he had a suit against the state. Other universities can have at him... and apparently, someone finally did.

Judging from the size of his contract, UNT never had a shot at the pirate anyway, and that's OK with me.

Preface:

I am 100% behind the hire of DMAC. I think he is doing things the right way.

HOWEVER:

THE BIGGEST ISSUE WE HAVE IS WINNING and ATTENDANCE. This would have been instant attention and would have translated to a boost in attendance. I know our attendance has jumped a little overall, but Leach would have put butts in seats without having to kiss babys and do the other things that DMAC has to do to generate interest. I think both will translate to wins... consistent wins.

Preface:

I am 100% behind the hire of DMAC. I think he is doing things the right way.

HOWEVER:

THE BIGGEST ISSUE WE HAVE IS WINNING and ATTENDANCE. This would have been instant attention and would have translated to a boost in attendance. I know our attendance has jumped a little overall, but Leach would have put butts in seats without having to kiss babys and do the other things that DMAC has to do to generate interest. I think both will translate to wins... consistent wins.

I'd rather have a head coach that kisses babies than one that allegedly abuses players. Too few babies are kissed, and too many people are abused.

• Upvote 3

Couldn't agree more KRAM1, except, as SilverEagle posted, good luck to Leach. I could really care less about him.

FFR, will you build a WSU helmet?

I'd rather have a head coach that kisses babies than one that allegedly abuses players. Too few babies are kissed, and too many people are abused.

Keyword is allegedly. Again I love Coach Mac and believe he is on track to be a really good hire for us but we get Mike Leach in we'd be selling out Apogee and we'd even have TT fans/alums in the area come to our games because of Leach. Not to mention he would increase our university's profile like crazy and be able to generate more donors from people and from big corporations. Unfortunately yeah we couldn't have given 2.2 mil a year like WSU will be giving him but if we could have gotten him for a million then the administration and all parties involved can try their hardest to make that happen.

• Downvote 2

Yeah, and the same internet rumors can be pointed to as the reason he didn't get the job over here, or over there, or at all the other openings in between, yet there he is. A very well paid, head coach at Wazzu, even with a pending suit against his previous employer.

Apparently having their attorney's "drag it out" didn't hurt Leach or Leavitt after all.

Rick

He didn't come here because we couldn't afford him more than any lawsuit. Leach was kinda campaigning for UCLA on his radio show, so I think it's likely they were a bit skittish about hiring him because of his legal issues. Obviously he wanted to go there.

Edited by CMJ