End of AQ status in the next version of the BCS

VideoEagle

Chuck Neinass is thinking the end of AQ status could happen in the next version of the BCS. All the conferences are getting tired of realignment and eliminated AQ status would go a long way to stopping it.

Here's the article.

Did I read (or just wishful thinking on my part) an article with Neinas quotes that could benefit non AQ's? If so, someone YouTube Handel's Halleluha Chorus!

GMG

PS: Funny part is how this may affect all those schools who have scurried coast to coast to get on board what may now be the Titantic for them; that is, w/o their having the need to change their conference at all.

Hurry up! CUSA! LOL

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Chuck Neinass is thinking the end of AQ status could happen in the next version of the BCS. All the conferences are getting tired of realignment and eliminated AQ status would go a long way to stopping it.

Here's the article.

A playoff would take care of all of this. Then I wouldn't give a hoot if we were SBC, CUSA, or SEC. Win your conference and you have a shot at the ultimate prize. You don't see basketball driving all this crap.

• Upvote 2

A playoff would take care of all of this. Then I wouldn't give a hoot if we were SBC, CUSA, or SEC. Win your conference and you have a shot at the ultimate prize. You don't see basketball driving all this crap.

Just wait until these greedy bastards separate from the NCAA and create their own March Madness and Super College World Series...seriously, these two quintiessential collegiate sporting events will get absolutely abused by the greed to the point that we all won't even recognize them in the future.

These big AQ schools (not Baylor or TCU) are eventually going to get out of this sharing business alltogether. Look at the Longhorn Network. ESPN will eventually force Texas to give them coverage to support the millions that they get to keep for themselves. Playing a home game against ULM or UTSA ain't gonna do it for ESPN. Thta's why they EXPECTED at least one conference game a year to start on that stupid network. That ain't gonna for away--its just going to get worse. Once you consider this, then consider that ESPN ahs talked to Ohio State about doing this for their school, too. When does it get to Florida, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Michigan, USC, etc...

For UNT, I have come to realize that it has now almost become for me just about being a clean and academically-proud university that our student-athletes can excel at. If we are in the SBC in 2030, but we never run into various infractions from the NCAA that look like what we have seen over the last 30 years, I will be ok with it. I know that I personally won't ever accept an illegally-paid athlete at UNT, an athletic dept that commits academic fraud to get better athletes, and I will never go back to a UNT game if it ever comes out that a coach and AD knowingly looked the other way at murder or rape being committed by anyone associated with the program.

• Upvote 2

Would UNT folks be talking about "greedy b....s" if UNT was already in the Big XII, SEC or any other AQ conference? Come on folks. These universities are just doing what they think is in their own best interests. Do you not think that UNT is making decisions based on what is in its best interest as well? Last time I looked NCAA D-1 football was a pretty expensive proposition. And, folks here have been clamoring for UNT to spend more on coaching salaries, recruiting, facilities, scholarships and on and on. Where do you think the money comes from? The good graces and charity of other institutions? I believe these schools are doing what they think they need to do to stay in the top tier or move to the top tier.

This sort of name calling stuff seems like the class warfare bunk the have nots always throw up to the haves. Geeeeeeezzzzzzz, Louise!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Did I read (or just wishful thinking on my part) an article with Neinas quotes that could benefit non AQ's? If so, someone YouTube Handel's Halleluha Chorus!

GMG

PS: Funny part is how this may affect all those schools who have scurried coast to coast to get on board what may now be the Titantic for them; that is, w/o their having the need to change their conference at all.

Hurry up! CUSA! LOL

GMG!

U r dead on. Give me CUSA west with regional competition to fill up stadiums and create rivalries . Then create a championship game with CUSA east. To play the champion of MWC. The Bowls have become a sham. Playoffs is forcasted to make 10 times the money.

Also UT is getting public funds for education system, when does it get to the point that funds r cut because of the revenue generated and past to other public universities based on need. This is on the horizon just like it was with Robin Hood n Texas Public schools.

• 2 weeks later...

interesting article in Bleacher[i know] Report regarding this subject. latest is that BCS is discussing elimination of AQ teams and BCS bowls and just concentrate on mataching #1 vs. #2. this would stop the crazy realignment just to gain AQ status.

They can do all they want to do (which will undoubtedly & ultimately be all about the Big Boys) but dammitt, wait till we get in CUSA or MWC. We have to improve our neighborhood and perception model as soon as we can.

Is the timing of Neinas' article just another kick in the butt for us if it slows down a re-alignment process that can actually help North Texas?

:no::censored:

• Upvote 1

interesting article in Bleacher[i know] Report regarding this subject. latest is that BCS is discussing elimination of AQ teams and BCS bowls and just concentrate on mataching #1 vs. #2. this would stop the crazy realignment just to gain AQ status.

To me, this is just too little, too late, though. By not addressing this mess years ago, we have seen the Big East and CUSA get crushed twice, the MWC get smacked, and then, of course, the Big XII, which is the biggest travesty of them all. So if we get rid of AQ and BCS bowls, then the bowl committees get to invite who they really want. We know that the networks only want the big teams in the big conferences any way, so that is just who the bowls will go for. Getting rid of AQ will mean that the Sugar Bowl won't have to ever invite Houston again (like it might this year) because they are the top non-AQ team that finished ahead of the Big East Champ.

What needs to be done, IMHO, is two things: 1.) All bowl revenues get passed out like NCAA Tournament funds do. 2.)Get the bowl games to go back to hosting the champs of a certain conference, but if that conference's team is in the Top Two, then the team goes to the national championship game and the bowl gets to go pick another team at large. That would make January 1st a great day again, instead of how watered down it is now, with spares playing in weak bowl games that have been created in the last few years. To me the SBC Champ should always go to New Orleans, no questions asked. MAC Champ goes to Detroit. CUSA champ should go to the Liberty Bowl. Big XII should go to the Cotton Bowl. Big Ten/Pac 12 go to Rose Bowl. SEC goes to the Sugar Bowl. ACC goes to the Orange Bowl. Let the Big East pick a bowl up there in the NE to always go to. Let the teams who finish below the champs play the other conference's champs in any of those bowls. All of this may not be a playoff, but it would certainly get back to the history and tradition of college football. I miss knowing the Cotton Bowl would host the SWC champ and a good team every year. This auto pairing of Big XII #4 vs Pac-12 #3 in a bowl game every year does very little for me as a fan--it just seems too canned. If LSU and Oregon end up playing each other, the Rose Bowl still can get Stanford and Michigan State to play each other, while the Sugar Bowl gets Alabama to play whoever they choose. This year, Arkansas State gets the NO Bowl, so maybe the NO Bowl invites either a team like Tulsa or maybe a Baylor to play down there against the SBC Champ. It would just be a better system for the fans than it is today.

They can do all they want to do (which will undoubtedly & ultimately be all about the Big Boys) but dammitt, wait till we get in CUSA or MWC. We have to improve our neighborhood and perception model as soon as we can.

Is the timing of Neinas' article just another kick in the butt for us if it slows down a re-alignment process that can actually help North Texas?

:no::censored:

the Bleacher Report article differs from the Neina's article in that it is more current and more indepth. also appears to have been written by someone who might know whats going on with the BCS.

Would UNT folks be talking about "greedy b....s" if UNT was already in the Big XII, SEC or any other AQ conference? Come on folks. These universities are just doing what they think is in their own best interests.

If UNT was in a BCS conference, I hope we'd see that the effort to split the FBS in two may be killing the golden goose. The BCS schools are practically begging for an antitrust case.

Not sure how this will prevent the conferences from cannibalizing. There are really two ways that i see this going in the new (proposed) scenario.

1. Conferences continue to eat each other in order to gain the strongest conference possible so that they have the best SOS and the best chance to get into the championship game.

2. Conferences start to water down so it is easier for the best team to remain undefeated.

Not sure that either is best for college football.

This new method, while under the guise of trying to make things more equitable, may actually make things worse. The strong may just get stronger. If they major bowls don't have to take a certain conference champion and there is no limit on conferences that get into the biggest games, the SEC cold end up dominating the best games. They get all the advantages and money while everyone else just tries to get their table scraps.

Not sure I like where they are going, but they are saying the right things.

Edited by forevereagle