SMU Fan says drop UNT from the schedule

Harry

I certainly can see this guy's view actually coming to fruition down the road. Attendance won't be an issue that holds SMU back anymore with the $$$ they will get from being AQ, plus if they really have success there, Dallas will get on board real quick because of its winner's mentality. If they win big in 2012 and 2013, I could see that series only being a two-game deal or less. I just go back to the fact that they play us when they need us--not when they don't. If we are good in 2014 and they aren't, watch out for the buyout.

Money has never been an issue down there and it certainly won't be after AQ status sits in for them in a few years. To go from $1.5mm in CUSA money to $10mm from AQ Big East money just emphasizes what a huge advantage they just got over us, not to mention they just got a gignatic boost in their hoops recruiting. SMU gets UConn, Louisville, Villanova, Georgetown, Cincinatti, etc.. to play against, while TCU gets Kansas, Texas, OU, etc, and we get Western Kentucky, South Alabama, and Arkansas Little-Rock. If SMU and TCU can't turn that into something on the recruiting trail, then that would be a colossal waste. Something tells me that at least one of those two will benefit greatly in hoops as they move forward.

I certainly can see this guy's view actually coming to fruition down the road. Attendance won't be an issue that holds SMU back anymore with the $$$ they will get from being AQ, plus if they really have success there, Dallas will get on board real quick because of its winner's mentality.

I genuinely hope they improve attendance with some aq conf wins but just am not sure how much they can. I feel bad that they haven't had better support from Dallas, especially with the last couple of seasons they've had. As much as some posters here enjoy seeing them struggle with this it does suck that they don't have Dallas behind them.

I genuinely hope they improve attendance with some aq conf wins but just am not sure how much they can. I feel bad that they haven't had better support from Dallas, especially with the last couple of seasons they've had. As much as some posters here enjoy seeing them struggle with this it does suck that they don't have Dallas behind them.

Why would they get behind them? It is an elitist, private university. There's elitism even among the student body - the scholarship students vs. the trust fund students.

SMU will never get the Dallas-area behind them, even as a 2nd team.

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 2

Firstly, the money SMU will get from Big East TV will not be that much of a program-maker for a school that could add $3 million (projected B.E. revenue) per year to their budget already and that from their private school endowment; that is, If they are allowed to take from their endowment to supplement their athletic budget).

Secondly, the scenaro I hope transpires would be a horse kick in the butt for some jumping ship and that is...

...if the NCAA is heavily influenced to allow non AQ's to have more BCS bowl access than it has now as well as get in on more TV revenue access since those 2 things are at the top of the list for all these schools who are changing conferences anyhow. If that happens, then much of this coast to coast re-alignment could for the most part have been a waste of energy, conference exit and conference entrance fees. (Look at all the AQ schools who have not come close to a BCS bowl while Boise, TCU, Utah, etc have and with the BSU Broncos model being the one that North Texas should study and quickly adopt).

Also, think of the numerous schools who have far exceeded SMU in wins and real butts in seats (Southern Miss, E.Caroline & Marshall from CUSA alone) the last 25 years who are being penalized because their schools are not in a Top 10 TV market. Seems like many of those schools would be talking to their local Congress-persons to look into all this much, much closer since some who going to (undeservedly) get all the chicken salad while they get the chicken caca. .

At some point, attendance criteria probably should become a factor once again and if a school over a course of said number of years cannot average 25K per home game then they probably need to re-classify. Yes, we at North Texas would have to shake and bake to do that but when we had to meet an attendance criteria before for NCAA D1-A classification our fan base and students stepped up to the plate.

The University of North Texas is hardly a shrinking violet of a school located in some hard to get to outpost that would have a problem with the 25K, but we would have to get out of our present "we po' but proud" bottom of the barrell mindset of years gone by and start utilizing to our advantage the entire UNT community constituency numbers we most impressively have. For what its worth....at some point, all the dramatic local, county, enrollment & DFW NT alumnus growth has to start showing up at Apogee and if it isn't we need to quit lolly-gagging with business as usual as to find out why and fix the problem.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've fallen prey to reading their message board...more so recently. Recently, the fascination(for me) has been to read the thoughts of those that are moving up. Find out what that's like.

The fact that they keep kicking us while we are down speaks volumes. Yes, we've got goldenpony and comet that come over here and atleast don't stomp on our heads over there... they seem decent enough. Even offering up words of encouragement. To them I say thank you. That is classy, and I'm sorry for not accepting your words at face value...

I personally am going to make it a point to never visit over there again. I've never posted over there, and I would suggest that everybody on this board NEVER POST THERE AGAIN. Just leave them be. When we play them in a couple of years, who knows what the situation will be. We may be better... we may be the same. who knows... they could be down with bad win/loss records over the next season or so, or...they could be killing it. The bottom line is, if you go over there read and/or post, you are asking for their venom. DON'T DO IT. We should NOT care what they think.

This is our domain here. This is our safe haven. Lets stay here and enjoy the positives we have now. Like it or not, we have to be patient(yet again) in an impatient/knee jerk/'fix it yesterday' world. In the mean time, we just need to keep our heads low and work on building a fun atmosphere around our athletic programs as alums. We know we love our university. We want SOOOOO much to see good things out of it. Leave the SMU people to themselves. The other universities that have moved up have handled it better than them... I'm sure other fanbases have handled it worse... whatever.

Now lets focus and kick the ever living sh!t out of the bye week. I know I will personally commit to having a touchdown beer every 15 minutes starting at 6:00 pm this Saturday...and won't finish until about 9:45'ish that evening. By my beer count, we will be winning 63 - 0 before I start taking a knee on the td beers. WHO'S WITH ME?????

If it was't for the fact that I'm an SMU person, I don't think I would find ponyfans a very fun place to go to if I were a UNT guy. A lot of the time they joke around over there, but many times they're very serious in their derisive nature towards UNT. I find that to be completely unjustified and comes from a sense of natural entitlement but also fear of losing to UNT. SMU people just seem to be a cockier bunch (justified or unjustified) than the normal college football fan. Don't blame you guys one bit for being resentful of our fans.

• Upvote 4

I've fallen prey to reading their message board...more so recently. Recently, the fascination(for me) has been to read the thoughts of those that are moving up. Find out what that's like.

The fact that they keep kicking us while we are down speaks volumes. Yes, we've got goldenpony and comet that come over here and atleast don't stomp on our heads over there... they seem decent enough. Even offering up words of encouragement. To them I say thank you. That is classy, and I'm sorry for not accepting your words at face value...

I personally am going to make it a point to never visit over there again. I've never posted over there, and I would suggest that everybody on this board NEVER POST THERE AGAIN. Just leave them be. When we play them in a couple of years, who knows what the situation will be. We may be better... we may be the same. who knows... they could be down with bad win/loss records over the next season or so, or...they could be killing it. The bottom line is, if you go over there read and/or post, you are asking for their venom. DON'T DO IT. We should NOT care what they think.

I'm sorry to not have made your "good Pony" list, but I agree with your post 100%. You're of course welcome to always visit Ponyfans, but if I were a UNT fan, I wouldn't go there.

You guys are putting stock in what the dumbest Ponyfans poster (StallionModelT) has to say? This is why I constantly say UNT fans have it wrong. At least half of Ponyfans posters have StallionModelT as a "foe". Ignore him, we do.

We have a few posters here that cause us to use the "ignore" feature. Most of us think playing both SMU and TCU more often would be good for all of our programs. All three stadiums fill when we are playing each other.

You guys are putting stock in what the dumbest Ponyfans poster (StallionModelT) has to say? This is why I constantly say UNT fans have it wrong. At least half of Ponyfans posters have StallionModelT as a "foe". Ignore him, we do.

You know it makes it difficult when a PONY fan comes over here and reveals their actually human :startle:

Edited by El Paso Eagle

IThe fact that they keep kicking us while we are down speaks volumes. Yes, we've got goldenpony and comet that come over here and atleast don't stomp on our heads over there... they seem decent enough. Even offering up words of encouragement. To them I say thank you.

Screw that. I want all SMU fans to be like the "drop UNT" dude. Don't water down my Mustang hate.

Please don't make me drop Dr. Phil a line to have him visit his alma mater to replenish their self confidence.

SMU does not define UNT. I define UNT. You define UNT. RV defines UNT. Coach Mac defines UNT.

3 more wins and we take a solid base of fans to a bowl game in December.

All is Green. All is Good.

GMG

• Upvote 1

On a "What were you thinking note" I bet UNLV would love to kick Boise to the Big East before tomorrow's clash.

Someone not so smart decided to make Boise UNLV's homecoming. That will settle well with Bronco Nation getting liquored up on the Strip tonight and the team scoring 70 at Sam Boyd on Saturday.

Opening with Houston was tough, but making Boise your homecoming:) my oh my.

GMG

Should we expect anything less from a school that prides its football team on corruption in the 80's and ghosts of the 1930's? I highly doubt SMU will be nothing more than the Texas Tech version of the Big East. They will continue to struggle to fill the stadium because outside of Boise, there won't be big name talent coming in. That's why they wanted the Big 12 so badly, because they could count on old rivalries with the old SWC teams. Is there enough staying power for the Big East to keep it's AQ status? Had Utah, TCU, Boise State and BYU stayed in the MWC, no. But, with no legitimate powerful non-aq's to take it away, it's just going to be the status quo. And, even in an AQ conference, SMU will more than likely be an afterthought. Dallas is a fickle town, and unless it's a pro team, it won't garner the support necessary to keep any support beyond what they already have.

Truth be told, SMU needs us way more than they lead on. We're a regional rivalry with a large, albeit predominantly apathetic alumni base, but we are a sleeping giant that could lead to a neutral site game because of the numbers they could draw once we become competitive, which will be sooner than they like. Forever their chief rival will be the Frogs, but this could turn into a very, very heated rivalry that could make for large crowds, exciting opportunities to bring recruits to, money, TV broadcasts. Teams need multiple rivalry games, and let's be honest, Rice/SMU for the "Mayor's Cup" is not exactly a barn burner. But, because we're the trash school which they like to consider a glorified junior college, we remain an afterthought. Hopefully, the AD's recognize this and continue to schedule, because once we're back on our feet, and I believe that will come next year, this game could turn huge for the metroplex.

Again, I omit our hilltop friends that come in to civilly discuss the intricacies of college football.

I'm sorry to not have made your "good Pony" list, but I agree with your post 100%. You're of course welcome to always visit Ponyfans, but if I were a UNT fan, I wouldn't go there.

*yoda voice* Good pony list you are a member of. *end yoda voice*

Does this remind anyone of the wizard of oz? Are you a good witch or a bad witch?

Not sure if that will make you very popular with your fellow alumni...

Point me to one SMU post or thread that is prideful about that corruption.

I don't think he meant prideful about the corruption. He meant prideful in their success in the '80s which was a direct result of the corruption.

It would be like bragging about being rich when you got the $$ from a bank robbery. You say "look at me I'm rich" not "hey I robbed a bank"

There's no substance to what you're bragging about because what you're bragging about was obtained by false actions.

Point me to one SMU post or thread that is prideful about that corruption.

The 1980's were the last time they were truly relevant and they finished #2 in the country. If you talk to a number of SMU fans, they will point out that, in their minds, the pony express was the best backfield of all time.

I would take that as a sign that they are proud of that team, which was dirty and corrupt. Ergo, the rest follows suit.

I don't think he meant prideful about the corruption. He meant prideful in their success in the '80s which was a direct result of the corruption.

It would be like bragging about being rich when you got the $$ from a bank robbery. You say "look at me I'm rich" not "hey I robbed a bank"

There's no substance to what you're bragging about because what you're bragging about was obtained by false actions.

Exactly my point. If you won the NYC marathon by catching a bus, then flaunt your medal or your time, even after you get caught, well, you see my point.

Some random dude on some other message board had disparaging things to say about UNT! Oh no! It's PROOF that the world is against us!

Seriously, do some of you scour the internet for any little thing about UNT to prove confirmation bias that there is a world-wide conspiracy against the lil' ole' school in Denton?

I'm in Lawton Oklahoma for one and a half more months- to answer your question, yes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1