Greeks on the Hill (NT Daily Letter to the Editor)

Ibleedgreen

WOW - A NT Daily article/LTTE that does not support the Greek Community...SHOCKER!

Sounds like this guy would have been better served at the Occupy Denton Rally! Typical G.D.I.

You realize you're not helping perception much here, right?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

If it takes college students excessively drinking at a homecoming football game to get this guy's panties in a wad and write an editorial to his alma mater's newspaper.... I'd hate to see how the rest of his life is shaping up.

• Upvote 1

If it takes college students excessively drinking at a homecoming football game to get this guy's panties in a wad and write an editorial to his alma mater's newspaper.... I'd hate to see how the rest of his life is shaping up.

I myself was shocked to hear that college students were drinking and creating an intimidating atmosphere on the hill.

• Upvote 2

Yes, because we are North Texas, and someone has to complain about every single thing that goes on.

I am shocked--Shocked--to find that drinking is going on here!!

Honestly, is this really different then any other school and their tailgate?

• Upvote 1

WOW! I figured GMG would be full of a bunch of people talking about how THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER and North Texas fans should be all polite, never curse, drink, yell at opposing punters, don't rush the field, and do proper "NORTH TEXAS" fans because there are kids around but also to show that UNT is a righteous and upstanding college like Oxford. Oh, and act like Nebraska. What a high aspiration we have. :thumbsd:

This forum... :lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

Gotta love all the negs on that post...cos they know it's true and can't come up with anything to say against it.

Say what you want about Nebraska, they're the only "nice fan base" in anyone's Top 20. OSU, LSU, Tech, Oregon; all notoriously rowdy and definitely not "family friendly".

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Gotta love all the negs on that post...cos they know it's true and can't come up with anything to say against it.

Say what you want about Nebraska, they're the only "nice fan base" in anyone's Top 20. OSU, LSU, Tech, Oregon; all notoriously rowdy and definitely not "family friendly".

I love the way you shoe-horned Tech in there again...NEVER GIVE UP!!! GOOOOOOOO RAAAAIIIIIDERRRRRSS!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tech's in the top 20 in what again?? Chlamydia cases reported.... maybe?

Fanbase? Well, I guess they MAY edge out Baylor. MAYBE.

In one week, you've announced we need to cuss more, you've boasted about using the the most mind-numbingly terrible heckle of all time in which you explain to the opposing team's punter that our defense will literally not get a single stop all day, and you've now insisted upon Tech and Texas as having stellar fanbases we should emulate. I don't know what to say, really.... quite a debut. Eff yeah, brah.

• Upvote 6

With all the good cited about Greek organizations, would it not follow that they encourage their members and guests to actually go to the game. Geez, so overworked that have to bring in furniture to rest on but can't suck it up and actually go to the game.

Yes, I know many if not most go to the game; but wouldn't it follow that if your mission was really to support the school that you would close down the tailgating while the game is being played. And yes, that would go for all tailgaters not just student organizations.

With all the good cited about Greek organizations, would it not follow that they encourage their members and guests to actually go to the game. Geez, so overworked that have to bring in furniture to rest on but can't suck it up and actually go to the game.

Yes, I know many if not most go to the game; but wouldn't it follow that if your mission was really to support the school that you would close down the tailgating while the game is being played. And yes, that would go for all tailgaters not just student organizations.

Any time the University needs people to show up for anything, they go to the Greeks. It's true. It's the most accessible, largest group on campus. And there are tons of things every week that members are expected to do, that are made mandatory "for the best interest of the University." Hell, we had mandatory basketball games when we were in school, because the basketball team couldnt get anyone out.

Who do you think made all those massive floats for the parade? Who do you think PAID for them? That stuff takes countless hours on top of every other responsibility people have (and as someone who spent three weeks doing it one year, it totally sucks), it doesn't just happen.

I get the "yall can do better" card, but there sure seems to be very little grace and a whole lot of grief handed out on this board over the fact that a handful of people, on a day when a lot of people came out to tailgate to spend time with friends and family, elected to keep the party going on the hill in advance of the Rangers game instead of watching a then 2-5 team. I think they all missed a terrific time in the stadium (I had a BLAST) but that's their deal.

Once this team starts winning and doing so consistently, all of this will be resolved. Until then, why get all snarky with other members? I bet there are as many Greek-affiliated members as non-Greek on this board. Why be dicks to each other by making stupid generalizations?

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Any time the University needs people to show up for anything, they go to the Greeks. It's true. It's the most accessible, largest group on campus. And there are tons of things every week that members are expected to do, that are made mandatory "for the best interest of the University." Hell, we had mandatory basketball games when we were in school, because the basketball team couldnt get anyone out.

Who do you think made all those massive floats for the parade? Who do you think PAID for them? That stuff takes countless hours on top of every other responsibility people have (and as someone who spent three weeks doing it one year, it totally sucks), it doesn't just happen.

I get the "yall can do better" card, but there sure seems to be very little grace and a whole lot of grief handed out on this board over the fact that a handful of people, on a day when a lot of people came out to tailgate to spend time with friends and family, elected to keep the party going on the hill in advance of the Rangers game instead of watching a then 2-5 team. I think they all missed a terrific time in the stadium (I had a BLAST) but that's their deal.

Once this team starts winning and doing so consistently, all of this will be resolved. Until then, why get all snarky with other members? I bet there are as many Greek-affiliated members as non-Greek on this board. Why be dicks to each other by making stupid generalizations?

leave-britney-alone-guy.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Greeks will need to move, to make room for the English Club and Film Club. Oh and they don't drink or sleep on sofas ! As I'm sure u didn't as a student.

U can see organizations that r proud and put forth the time and effort to support the team and the school.

As always don't judge all by the action of a few. As I will respect n ur case! :thumbsd:

• Upvote 1

I am a UNT Greek alum. Yes, it's been a few years since I was an undergrad. Nevertheless, in our day the Greek organizations were concerned about their image, mainly because we were worried about the type of pledges we would attract. It seems to me that the chapters would be somewhat concerned about their reputation with the university and would want to set a good example for rushees. By the way...coming into the game would be a good start.

Frats, Hipsters...whatever, they all annoy me if they aren't going to the game. As a recent undergrad and current grad student at UNT, I still sit on the student side because I love to yell obscenities and not offend Grandma or little Timmy. I can tell you that frats and occupiers alike do a horrible job of showing their faces at games. Yes, occasionally you will see the pink shorts, sperrys, and ridiculous looking glasses sun glasses, but this is few and far between and usually consists of the stereotypically "nerdier" frats. Not to say nerdy is bad, I actually commend them for coming to games. But as a recent undergrad, I had my fair share of going to frat houses to act like I was interested, when in fact I just went with buddies to drink free beer...either way, I know how many of the frats really act, and it is just as stereotypical as many people make them out to be...womanizing, drinking, drugs, etc. Of course, I know not all frats are like this, but a good amount are, or were anyways. Now, I could really care less what they do for fun, this isn't a post about morality. I just get so frustrated when people come to their defense and tell those who may oppose that they don't know what they are talking about and that its really about a brotherly bond, blah blah blah. And don't get me wrong, the stereotypical artsy hipster occupier complainers don't help either. Bottom line is this, just shut up and get your asses out of the parking lot and come to the game. I apologize for being so aggressive, but it really irks me to see people out there when they should be in the game supporting their school. It just so happens that these people always seem to congregate around their "honorable" frat letters.

You must've missed this...

Why be dicks to each other by making stupid generalizations?

You must've missed this...

Hey, I'm just speaking from my experiences around 4 or 5 frats during my time as an undergrad. I don't want to make all frats out to be what I described, but I know for a fact that a lot of them fit that description. As for the comment about the "hipsters," I happen to study and work in a great department that many would consider to be very "liberal," where a majority of the students and professors engage and sympathize with "occupy" movement, and I guarantee you 90% of those people are not going to the games. I get it, it's an individual choice to support your school or not. I can't help that it bothers me.

• Upvote 1

As SUMG reminded me Saturday how drex back in the day let all the frats paint their logos into the concrete at Fouts and that area was where they sat. It was a good idea that worked.

Certainly, we cannot do that at Apogee but what about an investment of chairbacks for each frat (in their frat colors) which can be placed in the upper Student Section a few hours before the game whiich would be "their" spot for the game. Any other ideas?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

As SUMG reminded me Saturday how drex back in the day let all the frats paint their logos into the concrete at Fouts and that area was where they sat. It was a good idea that worked.

Certainly, we cannot do that at Apogee but what about an investment of chairbacks for each frat (in their frat colors) which can be placed in the upper Student Section a few hours before the game whiich would be "their" spot for the game. Any other ideas?

Now I like the chairback idea!

• Upvote 1