Stop rushing the field!

rjmunthe

I rushed the field at Indiana. That game was huge, tons of firsts, and a big win against a Big 10 school. Who cares if it's Homecoming? It's portraying the stereotype that we're small time. Rushing the field every game just proves us that we're a tiny FBS school. It's stupid for the fans to rush the field whenever we get a win over a pretty bad Sun Belt football team. This team will have LOTS of wins this season and the coming future. No need to rush it for every game. It deludes the experience of rushing the field FOR A GOOD WIN against a good team. Not ULM.

Gatorade? Well, we won a good game in commanding fashion and appear to have turned the corner. Thompson looked GREAT. And I'm a HUGE critic. So did Dunbar. Defense is just incredibly surprisingly good. Coaching is making a team of these boys. I felt like this was a turn the corner game, and that we can win out. We played four quarters of physical, dominating football and looked like the VASTLY superior team.

However, ULM fans...what a rude, bitter bunch of individuals. We heckled the crap out of their team, they were fine with it, but then their mascot decided to throw water on our fans. Wow. The fans were angry and spewing vitriol about how we're a worthless school.

Yeah, they were at the game, and attendance was surprisingly great. Doesn't change the fact they're belittling our program and making us look smaller time than we already are.

Wait a minute... Their fans were calling us a worthless school??? This coming from the fan base of a school that is drastically underfunded even by Sun Belt standards and should by all rights be dropped back into the depths of FCS if not deeper.

The pot has once again referred to the kettle as black. :rolleyes:

Storming the field when it's not warranted is considered very small. Storming the field should be reserved for big upsets and championships. Not beating lowly ULM. Rushing the field when you're actually winning games is worse than when you're losing. Act like you've been there before, even if you haven't. It shows class and gives the idea that you have bigger goals in mind than beating a sorry Sun Belt team.

I'm sorry, I must have missed the rules for when it is appropriate to rush the field. I was under the impression that it was for a big victory over a "superior" team, when defeating your rivals, or after a homecoming game. I thought homecoming games were big. We might wan't to have SGA pass out a phamplet to incoming students next year on when it's appropriate to rush the field. As our program improves and we win more games, then rushing the field will be reserved for more important wins. In the meantime, let the team and fans celebrate.

On second thought, if the alumni got excited and rushed the field, would it stop the bitching about the alumni side?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Hmmmm, You ever seen a Clemson game? I'm pretty sure they rush the field after every win. Do they look JV to you?

Let's actually take a look at this- ballers want to go to school with legit traditions. If the student section rushes the field to rock with the players after a win to sing the fight song and alma mater, let them. We could be on to something. A&M has their midnight yell, Texas has their hex rally, Tech has their inferiority complex, Auburn has Toomer's Corner- I think thats what it is called, Clemson literally overwhelms the field after every win. Let's go with this.

If you think it's JV to do that, by all means continue to do so, however, if it gets people excited about our football program, I'm all about it.

• Upvote 1

You can have fun without running on the field and making yourself and our program look like a high school. Most of the students have the sports IQ of a 5th grader so im not really surprised.

How does that make them look foolish? SEC and Big 10 games don't exactly bring to mind a sophisticated and cosmopolitan image. College sports are all about noise and intimidation in a home field environment. If rushing the field brings that, so be it.

I highly doubt that moving our crowd to the scotch and cigar type of mentality is going to help our chances of moving to a better conference.

Hey, don't y'all start bitching at me, seriously. I was celebrating the win, totally. I'm just not on board with this whole "rush the field every game" thing. Doesn't make me not a fan, or worried about image, in a way. I just don't like this idea or burgeoning tradition. This is the best kind of post-game argument.

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Downvote 1

Can we get back to having more useful complaint threads, like uniform talk? Give me a break. Complaining about overcelebrating wins? Coach Mac opened the door to this with his statements on the radio show following the Indiana win. Don't blame the students and fans. If coach is encouraging/supporting it, I'm all for it.

People complaining about enthusiastic fans rushing the field after a win? Are you kidding me? You must be the remnants and/or sons and daughters of the old North Texas fans that sat on the alumni side at Fouts and acknowledged great plays with "tennis applause"......and complained when someone stood up more than a few seconds during a game.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

People complaining about enthusiastic fans rushing the field after a win? Are you kidding me? You must be the remnants and/or sons and daughters of the old North Texas fans that sat on the alumni side at Fouts and acknowledged great plays with "tennis applause"......and complained when someone stood up more than a few seconds during a game.

No, not at all, in fact, I'm one of the most vicious fans in the student section. But rushing the field makes us look like a high school.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I always thought rushing the field is traditionally meant for upsets.

Well, since they had beaten us convincingly for the last 3 games, I wasn't surprised that nobody I talked to was wanting to come right out and say we would win. Yes, we have thought this is a program we should beat, but they have been remarkably uncooperative.

No, not at all, in fact, I'm one of the most vicious fans in the student section. But rushing the field makes us look like a high school.

High School huh? You mean like these schools?

http://pngindians.com/sports/football/attendance

If so. I'll take some of that action.

Lets see, our record Fouts field attendance of 29,437 wouldn't make it into the top ten of all time Texas HS game attendance.

If rushing the field builds a core of loyal fans, who bring more fellow students/friends/family to the game, then RUSH AWAY.

I think that the turf we installed can take the extra wear. :rolleyes:

These high school comparisons are nonsense, honestly. Rushing the field can be what you want it to be. You don't have to conform as a school to the conventional traditions. It has already also been mentioned that some other big schools, like Clemson, rush the field pretty much all the time. I guess they are also a high school-like program. It's ridiculous how people can complain about overly-excited fans. We are either too apathetic or too naive and overly-excited...hah. We are underdogs for pretty much every game we play, so a win is an upset for us. If the coach welcomes rushing the field, I think he has a better perspective of what's good to help build the program than all of you complaining about this. I just don't get it.

• Upvote 1

These high school comparisons are nonsense, honestly. Rushing the field can be what you want it to be. You don't have to conform as a school to the conventional traditions. It has already also been mentioned that some other big schools, like Clemson, rush the field pretty much all the time. I guess they are also a high school-like program. It's ridiculous how people can complain about overly-excited fans. We are either too apathetic or too naive and overly-excited...hah. We are underdogs for pretty much every game we play, so a win is an upset for us. If the coach welcomes rushing the field, I think he has a better perspective of what's good to help build the program than all of you complaining about this. I just don't get it.

:thumbsu:

I don't get it either. If Coach Mac encourages this behavior (and he's coached in the B-12 and the SEC) then I say.....be sure and wear comfortable shoes to the game, that gives you good traction on artificial turf.

Edited by SilverEagle

I don't want to conform to Clemson.

:thumbsu:

I don't get it either. If Coach Mac encourages this behavior (and he's coached in the B-12 and the SEC) than I say.....be sure and wear comfortable shoes to the game, that gives you good traction on artificial turf.

Good point. Look, I'm just cool, excited that we've got a good fan base this year.

I don't want to conform to Clemson.

Rushing the field more often isn't conforming to Clemson. It's just an example that if you rush the field, you aren't doing so because you are a weak and pathetic team, but because your fan base has fun winning and want to congratulate their players face-to-face. It's what you make of it and I'm with coach Mac on this: if the fans want to, I welcome it.

I don't know how long you've been following the program, but are you aware that during the 2005-2007 seasons, we totalled 5 home wins, with no more than 2 in any season, and in the 2008-2010 seasons we only won one home game, on Halloween in 2009, against WKU during their first (and winless) FBS season, and in 2010, when we won 3 games, that none of those were at home? Just looking at the numbers, we've averaged 1 home win per season for the 6 years preceding this one, a maximum of 2 in any of those years, 5 for the first 3 years of the 6, and 1 for the last 3. At this point we've won 3 home games, the most since we won the Sun Belt Championship in 2004, with 2 home games left. If that doesn't convince you that it's ok for the fans to show some excitement, at least you could consider the possibility that some of us may feel justified in seeing this thread you started as the most asinine possible after last night's win.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1