utsa

wardly

for those of you who think utsa in not worthy of being on our football schedule, their future opponents are:2013,n.mexico,okla.st,arizona,houston,rice,virginia 2014,houston,arizona,okla st.,kan.st,n.mexico,virginia 2015,arzona,kan. st.,okla. st.,colorado st. they have a 3 game series with baylor 2017,2018,&2019. but i guess utsa is not good enough for a major program such as north texas.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 11

Honestly I'd rather be a little further along in a rebuilding process before we chance losing to an upstart.

For real? You do know that UTSA lost to Southern Utah, SHSU, future SBC bottom-dweller S. Alabama, and D-III McMurry right?

If these two teams lined up, Coach McCarney would have to call off the dogs midway through the 2nd quarter.

I'm not saying that UTSA cannot become a more popular football school than UNT in the future... anything can happen. Who would have thought Boise St. was destined for where they are now?

But, right now, there is alot of glamor and intrigue around them because "they're the only team in San Antonio's market". Granted, that is a big deal. But at the moment, that is the ONLY thing going for them.

I think with our administration's renewed attention to athletics, our climb to football relevance should beat UTSA's or TX St's.

They are viewed as fresh meat that conveniently counts as a Div1 opponent. I hope they have good medical facilities.

Plus these fan bases will travel well so don't be surprised if at least half of the stadium is the opponents fan....it will be like a weekend trip for folks since it is in San Antonio.

I wouldn't put much stock into their scheduling.

What Texas really needed were another 2 FBS schools in our state boundaries.

Hell, let Midwestern U in Wichita Falls join this FBS party, too. And how about Lamar U reviving their program to give us about 14 such schools at that NCAA level here in the Lone Star State.

Lets just have one big Texas conference with only Texas schools (like the SWC almost was) and cut that travel down to Texas interstates and see how happy this giant Lone Star family will be. Of course, kiss off any future Top 25 rankings because we would be the Texas version of the Sun Belt Conference with no national respect in Year 10 of our existence or Year 20 or Year 30.

Hint: TCU is where TCU is today because they basically removed their football program to a conference that did not have other Texas universities in it to cloud their future in the NCAA because they were with a cluster of Texas schools that kept beating up on each other.

I'm happy for utsa (sorta') but didn't they have about 3 years to sell season tickets to their San Antonio populace for their first season? Yes, impressive numbers, but when the Road-Runners have about 8 losing years in a row with who they are scheduling whose going to be left in the AlamoDome? Do the locals just re-adopt UT-Austin as their team again?

SPEAKING OF UT-AUSTIN....utsa is still in the long, giant shadow of that other UT school only 1 hour from SA so how will that ultimately affect their overall recruiting? They are glittering at the gate now with their "once in a lifetime" start-up honeymoon with the Alamo City but I believe University of Houston officials would tell them they had to get the hell out of the Astrodome because they were losing major support from their fans and students weren't making the drive from campus to their Dome; thus the reason they moved back to Cullen Blvd and the UHcampus and will soon build an on campus stadium that will be their Apogee'esque Stadium.

North Texas still needs to use TCU as a model or we will just be smothered and blended in with the rest of all these other Texas-based FBS school newbies and that is not what a school like North Texas needs at this time of our history. Just a-sayin'....

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I would have absolutely ZERO problem with UNT scheduling UTSA in football. Could even turn into that rival game in a few years that everyone seems to be missing. Heck, we have Southern on the schedule for next season...why not UTSA? Bring 'em on. Good travel distance and if UNT plays in San Antonio in a few years it makes for a great weekend.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

for those of you who think utsa in not worthy of being on our football schedule, their future opponents are:2013,n.mexico,okla.st,arizona,houston,rice,virginia 2014,houston,arizona,okla st.,kan.st,n.mexico,virginia 2015,arzona,kan. st.,okla. st.,colorado st. they have a 3 game series with baylor 2017,2018,&2019. but i guess utsa is not good enough for a major program such as north texas.

Yes. Of course we should play them. It's an easy road trip for the team and fans. Does that even count anymore?

Also, the Mexicans of San Antonio appear to be going to watch their games. They are averaging over 38,000 per game and haven't had a crowd of less than 31,000. Once they get real football team in there, they'll easily pull in more than TCU.

Look, they had more than 33,000 show up for a game against Bacone. BACONE! What would we get if we scheduled Bacone?

• Upvote 1

I think fans probably misread the schedule.

No. They could care less who their opponent is. They're just excited to watch some football. Unfortunately, being in the DFW means we have to compete against Cowboys, TCUs, SMUs....I mean, if we played against such team, perhaps we'd get 8-11k fans on the stands, lol. Only our die-hard fans would attend, which are approximately 10k I'd suspect judging from FAU's game.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Downvote 1

Yes. Of course we should play them. It's an easy road trip for the team and fans. Does that even count anymore?

Also, the Mexicans of San Antonio appear to be going to watch their games. They are averaging over 38,000 per game and haven't had a crowd of less than 31,000. Once they get real football team in there, they'll easily pull in more than TCU.

Look, they had more than 33,000 show up for a game against Bacone. BACONE! What would we get if we scheduled Bacone?

The reason UTSA is drawing well is, in big part, due to the novelty. Next year they'll have a hard time drawing 33K for a team like Bacone - or SWTSU for that matter.

Having said that, I'd be happy to play UTSA every year. I'm happy to play any respectable team from Texas.

God bless Texas

Tough schedules for utsa. Need I remind everyone of UNT's schedule in 1995? Let's see the roadkill win some of those OOC games before anointing them the next Alabama.

UNT's 1995 schedule (2-9)

@ Missouri

vs Kansas

vs Oregon St.

@ Oklahoma

@ Nevada

vs UAB

@ LSU

@ Alabama

@ UNLV

vs Idaho St.

@ Louisville

It's easy to schedule tough games, to win them = not so much.

What is this obsession with UTSA?

• Upvote 1

Depends -

If it was the first game of the season - 23K

If it was the second game of the season - 19K

If we were 1-4 - 16K

If we were 1-4 and it was threatening rain - 15K

If we were 1-4 and it was threatening rain and the Rangers were in the playoffs- - 14K

If we were 1-4 and it was threatening rain and the Rangers were in the playoffs and it was Texas/OU - 12K

If we were 0-6 and it was threatening rain and the Rangers were in the World Series and it was Texas/OU- 10K

If we were 0-6 and it was threatening rain and the Rangers were in the World Series and it was Texas/OU and it was halloween-8K

If we were 0-11 and it was threatening rain and the Rangers were in the World Series and it was Texas/OU and it was halloween and the Cowboys had a press conference and there was a race at Texas Motor Speedway - 5K

If we were 0-11 and it was threatening rain and the Rangers were in the World Series and it was Texas/OU and it was halloween and the Cowboys were in the Super Bowl and there was a race at Texas Motor Speedway and FC Dallas was in MLS Cup and the Stars were in the Stanley CUP - Negative 2K

If we were 11-0 and we were in the SWC and SMU just got the death penalty and Bacone was located in Denton and they were also our natural rival for 50 years and no other sporting event was happening in the US - 31,850.

• Upvote 4

You mentioned features of San Antonio and completely missed the question. What is your obsession with UTSA?

This is the 2nd thread about them this week. What the hell?

i think it would be in our interest to develope a home and home in 3rd largest market in texas. plus i also think that if houston moves to big east and smu does not, that cusa replaces them with utsa. that would give cusa a school in 4 of largest markets in texas; dfw,houston,san antonio, and el paso. just an old man's opinion.