FAU Stadium is done

stebo

I hope that this has not already been posted. This is the finished product at FAU - they really went about it differently than us but they have a different demographic. I would not trade Apogee for the FAU stadium but it really fits them - especially given the ocean breeze/smell that will make it very unique.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FAUSportsVideos#p/u/0/iwBBIcfOcZ8

seems like it's all seatbacks...i like the fau design in their seats...schnelly seemed drunk...

It is all seatbacks, they spent amost as much as us ($70 million) but in a different way. There is not a bench seat in the house. They also have 6,000 premium and priority seats (with access to drinkage) as opposed to our 1000 or so. If you watch the video - you can see the ocean from the suite level...the view of the ocean is cool but also the smell of the ocean will make that place unique. I am going to have to make the trip next year and check it out.

View of the ocean? Doesn't exist...not unless you are on top of the suite level from everything I have seen. Even then..I hope u brought binocs

In the video you can tell that it's somewhat visible from high up. Still, pretty cool it's that close. As a stadium though, it doesn't really come that close to ours in my opinion. Ours was really a bargain for the price.

Umm, that stadium is pretty legit.. I like the team color seating and seat backs, why didnt they paint the bleachers at Apogee. That's a major fail on UNT's part. Bench seats are a bit high schoolish in my opinion.

seat backs can easily be put. Apogee stadium as a whole is way more important. Just think concrete vs steel...come on, not to mention all the other amazing features it has. What you are talking about are just added aesthetics that can be easily added in the future.

Umm, that stadium is pretty legit.. I like the team color seating and seat backs, why didnt they paint the bleachers at Apogee. That's a major fail on UNT's part. Bench seats are a bit high schoolish in my opinion.

I don't see how bench seating is high schoolish when plenty of big time college football stadiums have plenty of bench seating.

• Upvote 6

Man, you guys are some proud Mean Green faithful! I am, too - that doesn't mean we cannot be happy for FAU. When you are in an ocean front area, you look at different amenities for your demographic target. We wanted a strong, concrete home - but these guys have watched UCF do really well with their erector set and went for aesthetics. We both spent about the same amount but we just spent it differently. Our stadium is incredible - and will age really nicely. Their stadium kind of "fits" for that area. The ocean breeze mixed with the high tone Boca Raton crowd - they had to pick their battles. The guys on the Belt board talk about the Boca fans as if they are snobs - they have valet parking at the Wal-Mart... so they catered to the demo and went for seat backs, decor, and 6,000 seats with access to mixed drinks at 4 different levels. They are trying to build an identity. Completely different situation from our's and both schools chose the right path in my opinion.

• Upvote 4

I don't see how bench seating is high schoolish when plenty of big time college football stadiums have plenty of bench seating.

I'm sure they do, but as you can see in the FAU video some of them don't... One thing all high school stadiums have in common is bench seating. It's not a big deal, just sayin..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Man, you guys are some proud Mean Green faithful! I am, too - that doesn't mean we cannot be happy for FAU. When you are in an ocean front area, you look at different amenities for your demographic target. We wanted a strong, concrete home - but these guys have watched UCF do really well with their erector set and went for aesthetics. We both spent about the same amount but we just spent it differently. Our stadium is incredible - and will age really nicely. Their stadium kind of "fits" for that area. The ocean breeze mixed with the high tone Boca Raton crowd - they had to pick their battles. The guys on the Belt board talk about the Boca fans as if they are snobs - they have valet parking at the Wal-Mart... so they catered to the demo and went for seat backs, decor, and 6,000 seats with access to mixed drinks at 4 different levels. They are trying to build an identity. Completely different situation from our's and both schools chose the right path in my opinion.

I don't think anyone is really saying anything negative about FAU's new stadium. There is nothing wrong about making comparisons and thinking that our stadium is a more important stadium. A concrete stadium will always be taken more seriously than an erector set stadium, just saying. Aside from comparisons, I'm super happy FAU has a really nice new stadium that fits well with the demographic and region. Btw, we spent about 10 million dollars more and our stadium was a big-time bargain...there is a reason why it's a more important stadium. I wish all Sunbelt teams get new or upgraded stadiums, as it would only help the conference as a whole.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm sure they do, but as you can see in the FAU video some of them don't...

It's confusing. Some of the shots pan across the stadium and clearly show 100% seat backs, and the announcer clearly says "all seat backs". But then there are a couple shots that show the student section with no seat backs. So, removable?

Nearly every major stadium has bleacher seating. I think it lends itself better to the idea of "packed like sardines." I like that.

• Upvote 1

When we played FIU a few weeks ago, we went to FAU and looked at the stadium. It is very nice. Again, not the classy brick finish of Apogee, but a very nice stadium located on the campus. The one thing that hit us, however, was how unmowed and unkept the campus was. But, a nice edition to the SunBelt indeed.

First off seat backs are a waste if you want most of your fans to be standing for the majority of the game and they only look good when nobody is sitting in them because when people are sitting in them you can't see them. I think they built a good stadium with some great features but it is no where close to ours. And I know it's not a big deal but I said big time college stadiums have bench seating and FAU does not fall into the big time college stadium category, neither do we but ours is expandable. Look at any of the 65k and up stadiums and you will see plenty of bench seats.

Edited by UNTP1

Not even remotely close to Apogee. The one plus they have is seatbacks.

Also, we have awesome theme music to go with our stadium. Just sayin'.

As a stadium, I agree, not even close. Aesthetically...I have to say that FAU's stadium is nice "looking." Now, I'd rather have a stadium that is built to last and to establish itself as a major collegiate stadium than one that is built mainly through aesthetically-pleasing parameters. I'm just amazed at how much of a bargain our stadium was for the price.

It's confusing. Some of the shots pan across the stadium and clearly show 100% seat backs, and the announcer clearly says "all seat backs". But then there are a couple shots that show the student section with no seat backs. So, removable?

Nearly every major stadium has bleacher seating. I think it lends itself better to the idea of "packed like sardines." I like that.

I think it is still being finished... so they probably haven't finished all the seat backs. They have another week or so and this video was probably taken about 2 weeks ago (it posted on Aug 29).

As for our price - we bought during the recession. One of the only positives about the recession is lower pricing! We got a lotof bang for our buck! SMU built their stadium for a ridiculously low price.. and it is a mix between erector set and concrete.

Edited by stebo