Tulsa game keeps getting easier

-QB G.J. Kinne out 2-4 weeks with an MCL tear

-WR Damaris Johnson out indefinitely with pending felony

-WR Thomas Roberson out with since OU game injury

-CB Lowell Rose out since OU game with concussion

-CB John Flanders declared academically ineligible

-LB DeAundre Brown out after foot surgery

And, next up for Tulsa, a trip to Boise State. That should be good times for the Broncos.

If we can pull out a win over Indiana, we could realistically roll up to Tulsa and win, then head into Sun Belt with a 2-3 record.

I'm trying to make some positives out of Tulsa's negatives.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Even if he were to play, it would be on a bum knee. That combined with TU's lack of receiving threat this year means...if we can stop the run (yes, I know, a reeeeeeeally big if at this point), the game is ours.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU/article.aspx?subjectid=94&articleid=20110919_94_B8_CUTLIN483715

Oklahoma State had TU down 45-6 before putting in their reserves. Tulsa scored 27 on the OSU reserves.

• Upvote 1

Even if he were to play, it would be on a bum knee. That combined with TU's lack of receiving threat this year means...if we can stop the run (yes, I know, a reeeeeeeally big if at this point), the game is ours.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU/article.aspx?subjectid=94&articleid=20110919_94_B8_CUTLIN483715

Oklahoma State had TU down 45-6 before putting in their reserves. Tulsa scored 27 on the OSU reserves.

Unless our offense makes a miraculous turnaround, I'm not sure any game on the schedule is "ours". Our defense is going to have to damn near shut people out for us to win any games this year. Our offense has put up 23 points in 3 games....just over 7 a game! I realize the competition has been stout, but shut out in 2 out of 3?!

It's going to be a long year in terms of wins and losses if this keeps up.

• Upvote 1

I can't freak out over being shut out by Alabama. Watch college football. Florida State only scored 13 on Oklahoma. Why? Is Florida State's offense bad? No, they were playing one of the Top 5 defenses in the country.

We were also playing one of the top five defenses in the country. We don't exactly have the horses to run like Florida State does, so we were not likely to score much on Alabama. Not many will run up and down the field on Alabama this year.

I know this, though...

I sat stuffing my toothy-cakehole with Sonic hot dogs and popcorn at Apogee a couple of weeks ago while our offense scored 17 in the first half against Houston. Indiana is not supposed to be as good as Houston...or, Alabama.

South Carolina State rung up Indiana's defense for 161 on the ground, 19 first downs, and had a 100 yard receiver. We ought to be able to do at least that with the FCS-like talent Todd Dodge left behind. (That's sarcasm)

So, unlike some of you who take our shutout to Alabama as a sign of bad on us, I wouldn't be surprised if we hang 30+ on Indiana and Tulsa as well.

These are the game, plus the Sun Belt games, that I measure our growth upon. We didn't do poorly in the first half against Houston.

I think putting together four quarters like that against Indiana and four more quarters like that and the first two quarters against Houston against Tulsa will give us ten good quarters of football against mid-majors we should aspire to be like, and so when Florida Atlantic props Howard Schnellenberger up on the sidelines for his farewell asskicking in Denton, we should be 2-3 going into the game and 3-3 after the game.

Who among you can plausibly deny my enthusiasm?

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I can't freak out over being shut out by Alabama. Watch college football. Florida State only scored 13 on Oklahoma. Why? Is Florida State's offense bad? No, they were playing one of the Top 5 defenses in the country.

We were also playing one of the top five defenses in the country. We don't exactly have the horses to run like Florida State does, so we were not likely to score much on Alabama. Not many will run up and down the field on Alabama this year.

I know this, though...

I sat stuffing my toothy-cakehole with Sonic hot dogs and popcorn at Apogee a couple of weeks ago while our offense scored 17 in the first half against Houston. Indiana is not supposed to be as good as Houston...or, Alabama.

South Carolina State rung up Indiana's defense for 161 on the ground, 19 first downs, and had a 100 yard receiver. We ought to be able to do at least that with the FCS-like talent Todd Dodge left behind. (That's sarcasm)

So, unlike some of you who take our shutout to Alabama as a sign of bad on us, I wouldn't be surprised if we hang 30+ on Indiana and Tulsa as well.

These are the game, plus the Sun Belt games, that I measure our growth upon. We didn't do poorly in the first half against Houston.

I think putting together four quarters like that against Indiana and four more quarters like that and the first two quarters against Houston against Tulsa will give us ten good quarters of football against mid-majors we should aspire to be like, and so when Florida Atlantic props Howard Schnellenberger up on the sidelines for his farewell asskicking in Denton, we should be 2-3 going into the game and 3-3 after the game.

May I add that we only gave up 41 to Alabama? Still a lot of points, but I really do think the defense is looking a little better with each game.

May I add that we only gave up 41 to Alabama? Still a lot of points, but I really do think the defense is looking a little better with each game.

We even shut down their running somewhat except for the big plays. Long runs of over 40 yards resulted in four of their five touchdowns by two quality backs. Otherwise, they give up 120 rushing yards on 29 carries. Also, don't forget we had four sacks and two fumble recoveries against one of the best teams in the country. Yep, we're improving.

Edited by GrayEagle

I know this, though...

Not I sir.

I already had IU & FAU down as wins. Now hearing about the misfortunes at Tulsa, I think we may have a shot there too! Pass the kool-aid!

We even shut down their running somewhat except for the big plays. Long runs of over 40 yards resulted in four of their five touchdowns by two quality backs. Otherwise, they give up 120 rushing yards on 29 carries. Also, don't forget we had four sacks and two fumble recoveries against one of the best teams in the country. Yep, we're improving.

Lots of Defensive optimism... Where's the offensive optimism?

Will the offense be able to put up points with out 28,000 (don't know if we'll ever get 30,000 this season) fans wearing green cheering them on?

I just don't know if our offense can be useful unless they're at home... Not holding out too much optimism for the Tulsa game, but I do have tons for the Indiana game.

Really, can any game be called "easy" for the Mean Green right now? Can the Mean Green beat an injured Tulsa team? Sure, i think they can, but that's why they play the game. To see who does, in fact, win. After supporting the Mean Green through these recent lean years, I am not ready to call any game "easy".

I hope to get to that point within the next year or two, but right now...well, I am very much enjoying watching this team and this staff give me, and all the Mean green nation, everything it has each time it hits the field.

Listen. I love you all; but let's talk reading comprehension.

The title of the thread is "Tulsa Game Keeps Getting Easier."

It doesn't say Tulsa will be easy. It says the game is becoming easier. And, then when you click on the link, a series of Tulsa injuries spells out why it is getting easier.

Their starting QB will be out.

The NCAA all-time leading all-purpose yards leader will be out.

The two players who were supposed to be their starting cornerbacks will not be playing.

See. Not easy, but easier. Easier than we had expected, say, when we were eating the roast beast around the Christmas Eve dinner table with the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl gently playing in the background...to the tune of Tulsa beating Hawaii 62-35.

That Tulsa team is light years different than what our beloved Mean Green will face on October 1, 2011. Yes, it's true that few just walk into Chapman/Skelly Stadium and snatch victory away from the fiesty Golden Hurricane.

In the Hawai'i Bowl game six of TU's touchdown were accounted for by players who will not be in uniform when we face them. That's a ton of offense and defensive weaponry gone (CB Flanders returned a pick for a TD in that game. He's won't be playing 10-1-11 because of academic issues...TU ain't so easy a school).

So, Tulsa isn't easy, but they are, for sure, an easier prey than before fall practices began. Also, Indiana is not of the same ilk as Houston, and we moved well against the Cougars for a bit. It's not unlikely that the same will happen here.

You ask, "what about away from vaunted Apogee?" I say, don't sweat it. This week it is our duty to be a raucous and disruptive as we were against Houston. If we can disrupt Keenum, we can do so to any QB who dares set foot on Apogee turf.

They players will do their duty, we will do ours; and, victory can be had as a results - even if Jub doesn't believe in the Mean Green anymore.

• Upvote 1

Listen. I love you all; but let's talk reading comprehension.

The title of the thread is "Tulsa Game Keeps Getting Easier."

It doesn't say Tulsa will be easy. It says the game is becoming easier. And, then when you click on the link, a series of Tulsa injuries spells out why it is getting easier.

Their starting QB will be out.

The NCAA all-time leading all-purpose yards leader will be out.

The two players who were supposed to be their starting cornerbacks will not be playing.

See. Not easy, but easier. Easier than we had expected, say, when we were eating the roast beast around the Christmas Eve dinner table with the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl gently playing in the background...to the tune of Tulsa beating Hawaii 62-35.

That Tulsa team is light years different than what our beloved Mean Green will face on October 1, 2011. Yes, it's true that few just walk into Chapman/Skelly Stadium and snatch victory away from the fiesty Golden Hurricane.

In the Hawai'i Bowl game six of TU's touchdown were accounted for by players who will not be in uniform when we face them. That's a ton of offense and defensive weaponry gone (CB Flanders returned a pick for a TD in that game. He's won't be playing 10-1-11 because of academic issues...TU ain't so easy a school).

So, Tulsa isn't easy, but they are, for sure, an easier prey than before fall practices began. Also, Indiana is not of the same ilk as Houston, and we moved well against the Cougars for a bit. It's not unlikely that the same will happen here.

You ask, "what about away from vaunted Apogee?" I say, don't sweat it. This week it is our duty to be a raucous and disruptive as we were against Houston. If we can disrupt Keenum, we can do so to any QB who dares set foot on Apogee turf.

They players will do their duty, we will do ours; and, victory can be had as a results - even if Jub doesn't believe in the Mean Green anymore.

Bite your tongue sir!