Lot's of True Frosh Playimg

UNTLifer

MCNulty: why? If he was head and shoulders better than older players, the yes, but he is not at this time.

Lemon: Playing well

Stojokovic (sp?): looks good

Lee: need his speed, but why when our two deepp is pretty much full of seniors?

Akunne: Looked good!

Any others out there?

Why not McNulty? He brings a dynamic Chico needs, and every team gets their 2 and 3 QBs some playing time over the course of a season.

I like DT as our starter, but the gap isn't so wide that we need to be questioning a burned redshirt.

I think he was referring to the situation in which he was brought into.

Actually, I don't understand burning the redshirt, which is what I was referencing above, but I really don't understand allowing a player to lead us down the field, Osborn yesterday, and then bringing McNulty in cold once we reach the goal line. Alabama or not, I can't see the purpose of this at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually, I don't understand burning the redshirt, which is what I was referencing above, but I really don't understand allowing a player to lead us down the field, Osborn yesterday, and then bringing McNulty in cold once we reach the goal line. Alabama or not, I can't see the purpose of this at all.

Personally, I think McCarney is simply gearing up for next season. He's trying to see who he can lead this team, who can make the plays, and who can get the job done on defense. The players are doing nothing more than interviewing for not only conference games but for next season under real game conditions. And I'm fine with that.

• Upvote 2

I don't think the coaching staff has an idea of WHAT their QB situation is right now.

Mac likes a running QB. Thompson and Osborn are not his ideal QB. I would bet Mac is tempted to give the job to McNulty.

McNulty's performance against AL offset any good things he did against U of H. Give me DT anytime at this stage of their careers

Osborn & McNulty didn't get into the game until late. The game & outcome was clearly established. Like Alabama, we had to put in reserves to get game experience. What better stage is there to evaluate the QB position? You have to see how they handle the offense under exactly the situations they were thrown into. The only way you handle those situations as a QB with poise is to have real time, game speed experience. I'm sure Osborn & McNulty would tell you they're better off going thru that on the field than standing on the sideline wearing a red ball cap. I'm not a fan of shuttling QBs but I'm sure the staff knows what it has at that position.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Why not have Dunbar and Hamilton in the same backfield?? With DT this opens many more options. I agree that it was a poor call to have McNulty in the game at first and goal at the 2. Much better chance to score with DT.

dunbar is going to have a tough season. our o-line is not nearly as good as last year.

I don't think the coaching staff has an idea of WHAT their QB situation is right now.

Mac likes a running QB. Thompson and Osborn are not his ideal QB. I would bet Mac is tempted to give the job to McNulty.

Have it on good authority it was all coach Mac's deal to put the freshman in at the goal line. IMO if HC mandates giving the job to the freshman we may be looking for a new OC next year.

Positives

+ + + Great bloodline with father and brother having played div. 1 football

+ + + Seems to be a gamer.

+ + + The freshman is the fastest QB on the team.

Negatives

- - - Not sure he has a div. 1 arm

- - - Smallest QB on the team

? ? ? Do the fans and the people on this board have the stomach to

put up with the learning curve that a freshman QB would have

to endure this season?

Have it on good authority it was all coach Mac's deal to put the freshman in at the goal line. IMO if HC mandates giving the job to the freshman we may be looking for a new OC next year.

Positives

+ + + Great bloodline with father and brother having played div. 1 football

+ + + Seems to be a gamer.

+ + + The freshman is the fastest QB on the team.

Negatives

- - - Not sure he has a div. 1 arm

- - - Smallest QB on the team

? ? ? Do the fans and the people on this board have the stomach to

put up with the learning curve that a freshman QB would have

to endure this season?

QB and DT are the biggest need positions on this team. WOuld love t see a true dual threat QB signed in this next class.

Damn you, Todd Dodge.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't mind a bunch of freshmen, sophomores playing at all if it means they will get better for next year. I don't like constantly switching QB's but I think Mac is in a position that he's doing whatever it takes to see what he really has and it may not be very much. So while McNulty may not be ready...there is nothing wrong with giving him and other guys like him playing time.

The fact that our current staff ( the ones with real D1 experience) feel that so many freshmen need to play should tell you everything you need to know about the T. Dodge era and recruiting.

For this reason if Mac hangs himself eventually as our coach it will be from a VERY long rope.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I like seeing the young guys get experience THIS year. UNT is looking to next year and beyond, not this season to be winning seasons, and it pays dividends to get the young guys experience playing against teams like Alabama. Sure, i was disappointed that UNT didn't drive it into the end zone from the 2, and that McNulty came in and promptly fumbled, but, really, no harm, no foul, and it is some good experience. I think Thompson is pretty much a freshman as well, so he is definitely still on a learning cure. I recall some pretty tough games from Scott hall at first as well, and look how that turned out!

I was not embarrassed AT ALL by the way UNT played to the final whistle and actually thought the defense played pretty darn well in many situations.

Hey, beat the spread, and got out without any major injuries as far as I could tell...and, I guess, a bag of money as well.

Don't like these money games, but like the way UNT played for the better part of the game. Tough to let that 'Bama backs cut through the D-Line like it wasn't even there a couple of times, but things will improve. Lots of young guys playing last night for the Mean green.

BRING ON INDIANA!!!!

I really hope we get out of the LSU game next year and add a 6th home game. We really don't need to be playing top 5 competition right now. We will still have Houston and K St. on the schedule to provide a measuring stick.

Just from the tone of RV's voice a couple of barbershops back when Harry asked him about future schedules I have a bad feeling we're stuck with next year's horrible schedule.

Osborn & McNulty didn't get into the game until late. The game & outcome was clearly established. Like Alabama, we had to put in reserves to get game experience. What better stage is there to evaluate the QB position? You have to see how they handle the offense under exactly the situations they were thrown into. The only way you handle those situations as a QB with poise is to have real time, game speed experience. I'm sure Osborn & McNulty would tell you they're better off going thru that on the field than standing on the sideline wearing a red ball cap. I'm not a fan of shuttling QBs but I'm sure the staff knows what it has at that position.

I think you are very right!

If Coach Mac wants to play McNulty, fine, but why let Thompson or Osborn drive the team down the field and then pull them for a true freshman that has only connected with the turf consistently with his passes? It makes no sense and is poor management of the players. I'm a huge fan of this team and coaching staff, but that is one decision that makes no sense. Somebody ask this at the coach's show.

QB debate aside, McCarney has said, repeatedly, that LOTS of guys are going to play--at almost every position. 5 freshman is a bunch, but outside of the oline, we've rotated guys of every classification(frosh & upperclassmen) in and out more than I can remember in years.

Personally, I like it. The defense is playing better and better (granted, we've got to run blitz like crazy to stop the run) and are doing so while playing the entire 2 deep. We're not going to beat anybody by "out-athleting" them at this point...so why not develop some depth and try to outlast them, instead. Not too mention the obvious benefit of getting so many guys experience for the future.