DT Terell Brooks

UNTLifer

Maybe McCarney is more of a hard ass than we all realize. The practices are closed, so how would we know? I'm not against a coach throwing his weight around and whatnot. But...it'll be interesting to hear what the real issue was here...or, if it can ever be known. Kip tells me not everything can be known.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Scrolled back through as much recruiting archive as I could. At the time of commitment, Brooks had offers from SMU, Oklahoma State, and Arkansas.

We lauded McCarney at the time, and marveled about beating OSU and Arkansas for his services. Could it be that they pulled his 'ship for some reason? Maybe he waited too long.

In March, there was a post about him and his dad being at practice. Not trying to start any rumors and whatnot, but could it be that maybe they thought he'd walk in here and start, then had "buyers remorse" when he couldn't beat out Boutwell?

Again, just did a little research and thinking out loud here. But, from his former offers and his talk about wanting to make an impact immediately, it wouldn't surprise me to see him resurface somewhere. Won't be happy about it, but that's the way it may work here.

Wonder if this is a sutuation in which he'll end up on a roster elsewhere. "Giving up football" in order to play somewhere sooner. Pure speculation on my part. I have no insight into this. Just feels familiar.

Gotta think Mac will address this tonight. He was one of our highest ranked recruits at a position of major need. This is one of those issues better dealt with quickly and directly. I keep hoping there is a chance he will reconsider but with Mac you get the feeling once you've crossed over you can't come back.

Wonder if this is a sutuation in which he'll end up on a roster elsewhere. "Giving up football" in order to play somewhere sooner. Pure speculation on my part. I have no insight into this. Just feels familiar.

Not unless he plans on going the FCS route. I don't think there is an FBS school more in need of DTs than UNT right now.

This sounds like a discipline issue to me.

If he does go to another FBS program, he will have to sit out a year and will be a soph with the red shirt burned. Wouldn't seem to be a football move after seeing time as a true freshman in the 1st game of the season.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Gotta think Mac will address this tonight. He was one of our highest ranked recruits at a position of major need. This is one of those issues better dealt with quickly and directly. I keep hoping there is a chance he will reconsider but with Mac you get the feeling once you've crossed over you can't come back.

I missed most of the show. Did they bring this up at all? What did Coach say?

• Upvote 1

Well, i feel bad that I was the first to post anything about him on our football recruiting forum (the day before he was announced as a commit). I'm over him now though, and looking forward to seeing what our other tackles (such as this walkon) can do:

Michael Ladner, background of hard work in the country, bright future as a surgeon.

There's lot of young guys with talent coming out of high school; talent without hard work and the right attitude won't get it in college. BTW, I know some story about Ladner, maybe this same one, was posted on here not long ago, but we need to remind ourselves of what undersized, overachieving guys can accomplish.

I was at the Coach Mac show last evening and not a word about Brooks. If it has anything to do with not starting, well, maybe it's a good thing for him to walk away now. Really bad news, but these are young men who still have some growing up to do, and this just might be part of that process fro young Mr. Brooks. I am sure the reason behind his departure will become clearer over time. Looks like Coach mac is not a coach to talk about this stuff (or injuries for that matter) within his program. I think that's fine and maybe the best way to handle these things...internally.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...