DT Terell Brooks

UNTLifer

Brooks also said the competition he faced at Navarro was better than what he saw at North Texas.

“The level of competition is nothing but players that didn’t have grades or SAT scores,” Brooks said. “Coming from North Texas that is uprising Division I program to junior college playing against people committed to Arkansas and South Florida, the level of competition is so much greater.”

“I developed a whole new sense of awareness and passion for the game,” Brooks said. “The levels of talent got higher and it made me step my level of play up.”

http://corsicanadailysun.com/sports/x2056565299/College-Football-Navarro-DT-Brooks-headed-to-Baylor

Edited by tylermeangreen
  • Upvote 2

Brooks also said the competition he faced at Navarro was better than what he saw at North Texas.

“The level of competition is nothing but players that didn’t have grades or SAT scores,” Brooks said. “Coming from North Texas that is uprising Division I program to junior college playing against people committed to Arkansas and South Florida, the level of competition is so much greater.”

“I developed a whole new sense of awareness and passion for the game,” Brooks said. “The levels of talent got higher and it made me step my level of play up.”

http://corsicanadailysun.com/sports/x2056565299/College-Football-Navarro-DT-Brooks-headed-to-Baylor

Yeah...ok...

• Upvote 1

I blame our coaching staff for this. DT is the most difficult position to acquire good players. It is a particular weakness of this team. We had a Big 12-talent DT on our roster and we let him get away. It is our coaches jobs to motivate these guys and turn them into players. Why could the JC coaches motivate him and McCarney (who is supposed to be a DL guru (like Dodge was supposed to be a QB guru?)) could not? Having Brooks and a better DL could have easily made us bowl eligible this season. Massive failure by McCarney. Very disappointed in him about this. It is one thing if Brooks was an unsalvageable waste of a human. But to see the kid leave UNT and become a JC All-American and sign with Baylor while we use duct tape and super glue to try and put together a DL is all on McCarney.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Sounds like someone never wanted to come to NT in the first place

I blame our coaching staff for this. DT is the most difficult position to acquire good players. It is a particular weakness of this team. We had a Big 12-talent DT on our roster and we let him get away. It is our coaches jobs to motivate these guys and turn them into players. Why could the JC coaches motivate him and McCarney (who is supposed to be a DL guru (like Dodge was supposed to be a QB guru?)) could not? Having Brooks and a better DL could have easily made us bowl eligible this season. Massive failure by McCarney. Very disappointed in him about this. It is one thing if Brooks was an unsalvageable waste of a human. But to see the kid leave UNT and become a JC All-American and sign with Baylor while we use duct tape and super glue to try and put together a DL is all on McCarney.
I don't know a lot about the situation because I am new to following UNT, but after reading that he is recently married to a volleyball player that went to Navarro is really all I need to read. Yes he had the whole quote about level of comp and that is what some jucos sell. Dude was love sick. And i predict, if his new wife doesn't get an offer from Baylor, he won't be there either. Only thing UNT could have done to fix that situation was to have his girlfriend closer.

It could be anything. He could have left because he could muster the discipline that the program put him through yet... or that he didnt get a long with the players. And, if you ever go somewhere, don't you think it is natural to work to convince yourself that this decision is a better one to make.

Or, it could be what he is saying is the truth and we are what we are.

Either way, I am only going to take it for a what it is worth and that is one kid's opinion/perspective.

Played one game for us and makes that statement? Anything to make you feel better Brooks. You weren't even rated by Rivals coming out of HS, so something tells me you couldn't make the grades. To make yourself feel better, you make some assinine statement like the one above. Hope you have grown up and are taking responsibility for yourself now, instead of placing blame elsewhere. Something tells me he hasn't.

• Upvote 1

I know this young man.

I also know that the UNT coaches tried hard to talk him out of walking away.

Even his own mother tried to get him to stay.

He would not listen to anyone.

Trust me, he isn't a great loss.

I doubt he wil EVER graduate. I hope he will, but I doubt it.

He would only have counted against our academics and would NEVER have been the kind of kid you could count on.

HIs maturity level is not completely his fault.

He has a rough family situation, but you can see from his comments that he sometimes does not use very good judgement.

He also does not often listen to those trying to point him in the right direction.

We are better off without him.

Don't sweat it.

• Upvote 3

Awww hah ha.. looks like he is a hair away form switching his commitment to Miami pending whether or not his wife gets a VB offer.

That sums up the lovesick story. He left UNT to head to Navarro for a girl.... and only then could he "realize his passion". So here he is having committed to Baylor but unless Baylor offers his wife a VB scholarship he is supposed to go to Miami where she has.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post?id=27214

http://miami.247sports.com/Board/92/Canes-recruiting-DTs-wife-15186880/1

Baylor... you don't want this quitter.

I know this young man.

I also know that the UNT coaches tried hard to talk him out of walking away.

Even his own mother tried to get him to stay.

He would not listen to anyone.

Trust me, he isn't a great loss.

I doubt he wil EVER graduate. I hope he will, but I doubt it.

He would only have counted against our academics and would NEVER have been the kind of kid you could count on.

HIs maturity level is not completely his fault.

He has a rough family situation, but you can see from his comments that he sometimes does not use very good judgement.

He also does not often listen to those trying to point him in the right direction.

We are better off without him.

Don't sweat it.

We seem to be making a trend of this lately...in several sports. Kids sign with us and we wax poetic about how much potential they have and what a great "get" they are by our coaching staff. Then, if they leave or they play badly, they're immature or can't handle the pressure of a D1 juggernaut like NT!! Man, we literally can do no wrong around here.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1