Coach Mac Speaks About Iowa St.

All About UNT

"McCarney landed an Iowa high school player in his first recruiting class at North Texas, City High's Andrew McNulty. The coach expected to use the quarterback in this week's game. He wasn't opposed to dipping back into the Hawkeye State for players in the future."

Thought that this was VERY Interesting. Looks like Andrew is possibly about lose his redshirt :thumbsu: .

link to Scout Article

There was an Iowa State/Iowa classic game on TV the other day from I think 2001-2002 or something. During the player intros in the beginning of the game I distinctly remember him having players from many different states including Florida, Texas etc.

With the way recruiting is these days there shouldn't be any reason why we cant recruit players from Iowa, Florida, Texas or even areas such as Big Ten, SEC, Big 12 country etc epecially with Coach Mac's experience.

Look, if we're going to rebuild, and we're trying to find a foundation, and this kid has the goods, get him the experience. I'm not saying thrown him to the wolves, but for sure lets get him out there. I like Thompson, but if we have an opportunity to build with this player, and from what I just read he's someone that we can, we need to figure out ways to play him. He can run, and if we get him confident with some playing time, lets do it. This kid and Chancelor could be something special if we start to build him up now.

Look, if we're going to rebuild, and we're trying to find a foundation, and this kid has the goods, get him the experience. I'm not saying thrown him to the wolves, but for sure lets get him out there. I like Thompson, but if we have an opportunity to build with this player, and from what I just read he's someone that we can, we need to figure out ways to play him. He can run, and if we get him confident with some playing time, lets do it. This kid and Chancelor could be something special if we start to build him up now.

Some players are practice players and some are gamers. We really don't know what we have until we see them in action. Since we are playing a majority of freshman and sophs anyway this year and in building mode (again) let's see what he can do.

And I agree about the need for a duel-threat QB. The college game these days almost requires it.

• Downvote 1

Some players are practice players and some are gamers. We really don't know what we have until we see them in action. Since we are playing a majority of freshman and sophs anyway this year and in building mode (again) let's see what he can do.

And I agree about the need for a duel-threat QB. The college game these days almost requires it.

Are we sure the former Iowa HS QB will be used at QB position. I'm amazed that coaching staff would be questioning our starting QB's ability when they didn't call one pass play on first down throughout the first quarter. Past that I didn't see our offense making that many adjustments to FIU's defense to expose their defensive weakness. By weakness I mean call offensive plays that would move the 8 players in the box...out of the box. If we did something anything we might have been able to put FIU's defense back on it's heel's at least a little bit.

It's going to be an interesting season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

we need a dual-threat post-haste.

I like Derek Thompson...but we do need a more dual-threat presence in the backfield at QB. I have my concerns whether he can get it done? Also, maybe coach Mac will decide to just "start over" and go with his guys. Many coaches do that, as it is difficult to change the culture from kids that have been in the old regime for so long.

Might be best to start from scratch...build this thing up...and go from there?

app_3_6485958317_1166.gif

• Upvote 2

I am intrigued by McNulty, but my goodness, Thompson has one start under his belt this year, and obviously won the starting job through the Spring and Fall. I would like to give him more than a game or two chance to start considering there was plenty of blame to go around for the FIU loss. Dual threat or not, if the O-line isn't blocking, nobody is going to look good at quarterback.