Does KNTU Know Who We Are-Part 2

greenjoe

As I've mentioned before, I listen to KNTU news on the way home. Tonight (W) I was especially anxious to hear about the NT-Houston game during the sports segment. I heard about Rangers, Cowboys, Stars, and NASCAR. During the news, I heard about the wildfires in Texas, the Republican Presidential Debate, and that former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates will be at NT tonight (I'm going). But nothing, nothing about what I consider the most important game in North Texas history. The opening of a $80 million stadium isn't big enough news to make it on the 5:30 KNTU news lineup.

Does KNTU know the University of North Texas has a football team ?

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

What do you want? A daily reminder that the game is on Saturday? Listen Friday, I bet anything they have a full preview of the game.

KNTU does Denton ISD football. So don't look for any extensive reports after 4 p.m.:sword:

I would email KNTU with your concern. I did this last year after they failed to mention the opening game of the season during their Friday's sports report. Here is ther reply I got back from them last year:

Thanks very much for your interest in KNTU and for taking the time to send a note. I’ll open by saying, you are absolutely right. There definitely should have been a story, or at the very least, a mention about the upcoming game with Rice in Friday’s Late Edition sports segment. In checking the rundown for the previous Friday, there was a story about the opening game against Clemson. So, our sports writers and anchors obviously knew it made sense to include such a story on opening week, so why not last Friday? In fact, the Friday anchor is also on the Green Guys crew, so he is very much plugged into all things Mean Green, and it would be natural to assume that weekend’s game would be one of the things uppermost in his mind.

So, why did this happen? There are no excuses. In fact, when I mentioned to our student sports director that there was no Rice story in Friday’s broadcast, his immediate and passionate response was, “that’s inexcusable.” On this, we all agree. I’ll simply provide some context. KNTU is a learning laboratory where a small, part-time paid student staff, is given the responsibility of running the daily operations of a fully-functioning 100,000 watt FM radio station, operating 24 hours/day with the help of student volunteers. They receive guidance from one full-time staff member and from me in my capacity as general manager and RTVF faculty member.

Given the nature of this environment, there will be occasional failures such as the omission of a story on the Rice game. It seems so obvious that there should have been one, and I’m sure when I talk to the responsible person they will agree that it was a mistake not to do so. The only positive here is that they will have the opportunity to learn from the experience. This is part of what KNTU provides – a place where students can make mistakes and learn from them. Unfortunately, at times, that process can be very painful for all of us. Believe me, I know.

Finally, I want to assure you that KNTU is committed to coverage of Mean Green sports. Testament to this are the hours we devote to game coverage of football and men’s and women’s basketball, along with selected softball, soccer, and volleyball games. In addition, we also present special features and sports programs including the Todd Dodge Show, the Basketball Hour, and the Green Guys with more to come.

In closing, thanks again for your email. The feedback you provided will serve as a learning tool for our current staff and spur them on to improve. I have no doubt that will be the case. I also have no doubt additional mistakes will occur in the future. When you’re in the middle of a learning laboratory, I’m sure you’ll understand, it’s an unavoidable occupational hazard.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

• Upvote 3

...I heard about Rangers, Cowboys, Stars, and NASCAR...

Listen Friday. They'll probably talk about it then rather than everyday leading up to it.

What do you want? A daily reminder that the game is on Saturday? Listen Friday, I bet anything they have a full preview of the game.

So we are ok with them spending a few minutes on the day before because we shouldn't be talking about it every day, but we are fine with covering the Cowboys (who don't play until Monday) and the Stars (who don't play for over a week)? Just want to make sure I understand what you expect.