Freddie Warner Footage

Harry

How can there only be 10 to 20 people show up for a high school game? He's gonna love performing for his new home crowd.

Rick

I had a nephew who played for Granbury last year. They came over here to play RL Turner. There may have been 100-150 people on the RL Turner's side of the stadium - their home stadium! Over on the visitors' side, Granbury had it filled up from end to end.

I felt bad to the Turner kids. When I was in high school at Berkner, they were in our district. They're in shambles now. Their band didn't even have uniforms. It was awful to see those kids marching in the blue jeans and stuff. Granbury, even little Granbury's band had sharp marching outfits.

When it comes to politics, I think it's too easy to just say, we should cut this or cut that out of schools. But, when you are sitting face to face with the reality of it, you really feel bad for the kids caught in the middle - or, at least if you have any bit of heart you do.

Hard to know what the answer is. The kids are in those districts because their parents have likely made some really bad choices in their lives. So, on the one hand, it's not really the kids' doing that they are in a poor school.

On the other hand, you've got the fact that the middle class can only be squeezed so much for property tax dollars before you tank them financially.

In my naive mind, you try to put more private dollars in play by giving them tax breaks for doing things like, maybe, picking up the tab to furnish uniforms to a high school band.

It's a tough situation. I'm glad kids like Freddie are going to get to showcase their talents in our new stadium. Looks like we'll enjoy watching him take us to higher heights. He really has the ability a gamebreaker. Proud he's on our side!

And, guys...if this is what this coaching staff can do with just two months of recruiting? Wow! We've got a bright future ahead of us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1:54, the punt return....as Norm says: OMG.

As I say, GMG

Can you say double digit broken tackles? I think he might have broken three ankles on that run back. Kid is slippery to say the least.

Looks like if need be he could play a little WR as well.

The tide is turning.

Edited by FloMoGrad

I had a nephew who played for Granbury last year. They came over here to play RL Turner. There may have been 100-150 people on the RL Turner's side of the stadium - their home stadium! Over on the visitors' side, Granbury had it filled up from end to end.

Hard to know what the answer is. The kids are in those districts because their parents have likely made some really bad choices in their lives. So, on the one hand, it's not really the kids' doing that they are in a poor school.

Really? You think you end up in those districts because of bad choices form their parents? It is because they are poor. The inherited it. Just like you inherited folks that could direct you to college and a better chance at a good job.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Really? You think you end up in those districts because of bad choices form their parents? It is because they are poor. The inherited it. Just like you inherited folks that could direct you to college and a better chance at a good job.

Yes. Because my dad, and all of his brothers, grew up in poverty and got out of it by working their asses off. People who choose to stay there stay there.

My dad and all of his brothers used the military as their way out. My dad and a couple of others used the G.I. bill after that to go even further. All ended up owning their own businesses...and passing them along to their kids.

My cousins and my brother and sister, we're the first generation on my dad's side of the family not to grow up on a sharecropping farm or on the poor, west side of Tulsa. Had our dads not looked around and decided, "To hell with this place" we'd have grown up there as well. But, they didn't.

You choose to be where you are. Those kids' parents choose to be where they are. In America, you can do anything you want. Or, you can do nothing but sit back and continually take the consequences.

It's called get up off your ass, quit feeling sorry for yourself, lay down the crack pipe, and take advantage of what the government is trying to give you to help!

There are a ton of programs in this country to help the poor up and out of their situations. But, you still have to take the initiative to go and do it. No one is going to do it for you.

So, yes, I feel bad for the kids whose parents will not get out of those situations. They have a choice. When they don't take the choice for better, their kids are stuck in hell holes. Someday some one has to make a sacrifice to get out.

Hell, immigrants who speak no English come over here from all over the world and take advantage of programs meant for minorities. Pakistanis, Koreans, Indians...they own things. We joke about them. But, they are simply taking advantage of programs that are available.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Yes! Middle-aged, upper middle class white people arguing over the plight of the poor...always entertaining.

Great start to a Friday, keep it going fellas!!!

This usually gets followed very closely by the same demographic arguing about how racist our society is--you know, because they know so much about it, being lily white and all...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

CFB is for poor people?? What's Dallas, Beirut?

Turner has perpetually sucked at football. I remember playing them in '96 (I was also in 10 (now 9) 5A), being up by literally 50 at halftime, looking up at the empty stands on their side, and feeling really bad for them.... which is amazing, because I was kind of a jerk back then.

CFB is for poor people?? What's Dallas, Beirut?

Turner has perpetually sucked at football. I remember playing them in '96 (I was also in 10 (now 9) 5A), being up by literally 50 at halftime, looking up at the empty stands on their side, and feeling really bad for them.... which is amazing, because I was kind of a jerk back then.

Back then you were a jerk? Zing!

• Upvote 1