Largest UNT Gift & Donation Ever! Thank You Charn Uswachoke&#3

All About UNT

The University of North Texas has received the largest gift/donation in it's history with a whopping 22 Million Dollar gift from alumnus Charn Uswachoke of Thailand.

Link To Story on the Gift

From the article:

The College of Music will receive $10 million:

$5 million for endowed professorships and chairs in music

$3 million to fund touring and recording opportunities for students

$2 million for highly sought-after, competitive scholarships in music

The College of Engineering will receive $6.5 million:

$5 million to create the Charn Uswachoke Center for Energy Efficient Materials, a center that will help UNT and its materials science and engineering department become a leader in energy-related materials research.

$1.5 million to create an endowed professorship in materials science and engineering to attract a top researcher to head the center.

The College of Business will receive $5.5 million:

$5 million to fund the Charn Uswachoke Scholarships for Study Abroad for undergraduate and MBA students

$500,000 to establish the Charn Uswachoke Graduate Suite in the new Business Leadership Building

It should also be noted that in the article it states that "Some of Uswachoke's pledged gift dollars are expected to qualify for matching funds under the state's program to help emerging research universities, such as UNT, become national research universities, which would further boost the impact of his pledge."

From the bottom of our hearts.... we the Mean Green Nation thank you so much Mr. Uswachoke! It's a great day to be part of the UNT Family and Go Mean Green!

This post has been promoted to an article

I really hope this donations ends all the stupid "UNT should invest in education, not athletics" comments from the usual collection of morons (Including the NT daily editorial staff).

I doubt this donation comes without the school investing in many areas, including the new stadium. $52 million in the 1st month of the stadium's completion. Not bad, not bad at all.

Athletics benefits all colleges of UNT. It has never been more clear than it is today.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

That's awesome! Good things are happening in Denton these days!

That being said I wish the athletic department would of received a little love, but it's hard to complain about that gift. I believe certain colleges donate/support more than others do and I think the school of business is one of those schools. So, I consider this an indirect gift to the athletic department.

Go mean green!

Edited by Green Crazy

In 1994, when Charn bought 10,000 single game tickets to help us in our need to average 17,000 per game....it was noted that he loved sports when he was at UNT. And that he especially loved UNT basketball.

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 2

In 1994, when Charn bought 10,000 single game tickets to help us in our need to average 17,000 per game....it was noted that he loved sports when he was at UNT. And that he especially loved UNT basketball.

THE USWACHOKE PIT SOUNDS GOOD!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is amazing for our music program? Correct me if im wrong, but we have what, 1200 students in that department, total? If so that department has received the equivalent to a little over $10,400 per student in donations the past two weeks? Thats a pretty good haul for a non medical/science/research/technology department?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is amazing for our music program? Correct me if im wrong, but we have what, 1200 students in that department, total? If so that department has received the equivalent to a little over $10,400 per student in donations the past two weeks? Thats a pretty good haul for a non medical/science/research/technology department?

1635 students last year. But yes, that is a mighty good haul, and will help to ensure the continued excellence of the College of Music.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not at all unhappy athletics didn't get any of this. after getting the stadium rights sold and season tickets and support in general trending upward, athletics will be just fine.

The rest of the school rising in stature can do nothing but help athletics. It's a symbiotic relationship.

• Upvote 1

I really hope this donations ends all the stupid "UNT should invest in education, not athletics" comments from the usual collection of morons (Including the NT daily editorial staff).

I doubt this donation comes without the school investing in many areas, including the new stadium. $52 million in the 1st month of the stadium's completion. Not bad, not bad at all.

Athletics benefits all colleges of UNT. It has never been more clear than it is today.

I've thought the NT Daily has really turned its anti-UNT athletics agenda around lately. I guess you just haven't been reading.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not at all unhappy athletics didn't get any of this. after getting the stadium rights sold and season tickets and support in general trending upward, athletics will be just fine.

The rest of the school rising in stature can do nothing but help athletics. It's a symbiotic relationship.

Right on! The entire University will benefit from this generous gift!

This is GREAT! Many thanks to all involved! This will help the UNT College of Music remain one of the most prestigious music schools in the world, raise the bar for UNT academics, and help UNT make an impact and difference in renewable materials!

Pair this will all of the upgrades in the AD including the 80 million dollar stadium complete with 20 million dollar naming rights and increased coaching salaries...

UNT IS ON THE MAP AND MOVING UP!

Go Mean Green!!!!

I've thought the NT Daily has really turned its anti-UNT athletics agenda around lately. I guess you just haven't been reading.

If the daily had it's way, that shiney new stadium wouldn't have happened and there is no doubt that we would not have pulled in 50 million in gifts this month. That is where my angst comes from.

To be fair, I rarely read the daily, and understand that it is ran by a bunch of kids, but they did everything they could to derail tha stadium

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

If the daily had it's way, that shiney new stadium wouldn't have happened and there is no doubt that we would not have pulled in 50 million in gifts this month. That is where my angst comes from.

To be fair, I rarely read the daily, and understand that it is ran by a bunch of kids, but they did everything they could to derail tha stadium

I agree with you 100% that this has been the case in the past. However, I know a lot of the daily staff now, and most of them are very pro-athletics. Thankfully they did not get their way in the past, and hopefully they can contribute to this campus in a more positive way in the future (which it seems to have been trending toward for the last year or so).

• Upvote 1