What an Alabama Writer has to do this Season

Harry

You sure? Somebody better call the athletic department and the NT Daily ASAP, because it looks like they haven't yet gotten the memo and are even calling the tennis team Lady Eagles.

http://www.ntdaily.com/?p=50067

Because the NT Daily is known for being right all the time...

I forget, what's our new stadium called? Eagle Stadium or Mean Green Stadium?

• Upvote 1

What is being debated? I like to think our fanbase is intelligent enough to handle a moniker and a mascot, without the need to put both on every branding opportunity.

No one is saying Mean Green is not front and center in our brand. That doesn't mean we aren't the Eagles. When the Eagle mascot is dropped, they will have to replace Scrappy and will probably make an official announcement. If you want to debate implications until that day, have at it. It seems like you're playing cowboys and indians with Nerf toys, though. You aren't getting anywhere.

Honest question: Every women's bball game I ever attended I do recall them being called the Lady Eagles. Did that change?

Edited by greenminer

Because the NT Daily is known for being right all the time...

I forget, what's our new stadium called? Eagle Stadium or Mean Green Stadium?

Based on the endzone design, I would guess either Wingstop or Krispy Kreme Stadium. What's the deal with that funky looking bird on th 50 yard line anyway? Is it a chicken or what? KFC Stadium?

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of people have completely misunderstood what I'm trying to say.

I know our mascot is the eagle and I know that's what we were known by for a long time. All I'm saying is that when talking about our athletic teams it's the Mean Green.

Really?

Then what does your original post mean?

Ugh...we're not the eagles.

• Downvote 1

We are NOT named after Joe "Mean" Greene. The Pitt media attached it to him after he was drafted. The moniker was in place while he played here, but never in fact was attached to him. By all accounts of those who were here at the time, Joe was only "Big Joe" while he suited up for the "Mean Green" defense.[/quote]

I was here during the Joe Greene era and this is how it was. We were the Eagles and the great, dominating defensive units of the mid/late 1960's were known as the Mean Green Defense. I honesly don't remember if he was called Mean Joe Greene while at NT, or if that name came during his time with the Steelers.

DeepGreen out.

Edited by DeepGreen

Silver: you and I know the whole story, and IMO I don't believe that Yucca piece contradicts anything. Too vague, really. You could certainly say it is because of Joe the defense was Mean Green! They all played incredibly as a unit. Yet there is nothing in there that explicitly says we are named after him.

However, because of the way it is worded, I can see how someone reading it - one with no previous knowledge of the story - can assume it means we are named after him.

I think if NTSU had any idea back in the '60s how significant the term "Mean Green" would become in regards to our identity and brand, there would have been a much more coordinated, clear and unified effort to explain all this and market it. I wonder if Sydney had any clue that her informal and impromptu "Go Mean Green" cheers up in the booth (while the defense was on the field) would resonate all the way through the entirety of UNT athletics to this day and into Steeler/NFL history.

Edited by greenminer

Game #1 for UNT is on Sept. 1st, or do you want to argue about that too?

Sorry, forgot our first game was on a Thursday.

And I never wanted to argue anything. I was just saying what I've been taught since I've been at UNT, which is Mean Green is the name we go by and the Eagle is our logo and mascot. No one has to tell me the history between the two. Trust me, I've had to explain it to what seems like a thousand people.

Like one of my fraternity brothers says, "I came to UNT for the pride and prestige of the Eagle and Go Mean Green!"

Sorry, forgot our first game was on a Thursday.

And I never wanted to argue anything. I was just saying what I've been taught since I've been at UNT, which is Mean Green is the name we go by and the Eagle is our logo and mascot. No one has to tell me the history between the two. Trust me, I've had to explain it to what seems like a thousand people.

Like one of my fraternity brothers says, "I came to UNT for the pride and prestige of the Eagle and Go Mean Green!"

Then please stop degrading the "Eagleness" of our present and past by saying erroneous things such as that our female teams are NOT called the Lady Eagles. It's kind of nice that we have something unique going on here with our moniker. Obvious facts are not something that should be argued, so let us close this case.

Then please stop degrading the "Eagleness" of our present and past by saying erroneous things such as that our female teams are NOT called the Lady Eagles. It's kind of nice that we have something unique going on here with our moniker. Obvious facts are not something that should be argued, so let us close this case.

The women's teams aren't referred to as the Lady Eagles any more. They are referred to as the Mean Green just like the men's teams. Here is an example from meangreensports.com.

The women's teams aren't referred to as the Lady Eagles any more. They are referred to as the Mean Green just like the men's teams. Here is an example from meangreensports.com.

This makes sense. Why have different names for mens & women's teams? "Mean Green" seems pretty ubiquitous to me. As long as Scrappy is around, we'll be represented by an eagle. Mean Green Eagles!

There are a few things to piss, moan, & complain about with our traditions, but this should not be one.

• Upvote 1