Wind Turbine Update

Well, I guess if you are going to do something like this, getting a $2 million grant is a good thing indeed. I assume that is $2 million of taxpayer dollars, so we'll at least have some tax dollars coming back "home". Will they be painted green and have the UNT logo or SOW on them? Hope so...any PR is good PR or so they say.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well, I guess if you are going to do something like this, getting a $2 million grant is a good thing indeed. I assume that is $2 million of taxpayer dollars, so we'll at least have some tax dollars coming back "home". Will they be painted green and have the UNT logo or SOW on them? Hope so...any PR is good PR or so they say.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Yeah, all the shills for the various power industries are going to have to work a little harder to find fault with this progressive move by UNT.

But I guess making comments about taxpayer money is a good start. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 7

All the photos show that they will be installed directly next to the stadium

I really hope that all of the adverse consequences of this placement have been taken into consideration.

And yes, this is a waste of taxpayer money.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 13

To my understanding it will be right next to the stadium and will be the only college football stadium in the country that is set up this way. So whether or not you agree with the technology/politics etc it's time that we embrace/accept it because it has been funded and it is going to happen.

To my understanding it will be right next to the stadium and will be the only college football stadium in the country that is set up this way. So whether or not you agree with the technology/politics etc it's time that we embrace/accept it because it has been funded and it is going to happen.

The politics are what they are. What I worry about is noise, birds, malfunctions, etc...

I would guess that all of this has been researched thoroughly, but don't act like there should be absolutely no concerns about these things.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Where have I heard that before...oh yeah it went something like this.

"If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Although I pretty much agree with you as far as this particular situation goes, that line of thought is a very, very slippery slope.

Does anyone know on which side of the stadium these things will be located? Really kicking myself for not asking this question in reference to picking a parking lot.

I don't have the diagram in front of me but I seem to recall them being on the West side of the stadium facing both freeways.

they will not be next to the stadium. they will be beside the practice fields fence along bonnie brae.

http://untsystem.unt...tadium-wind.htm

"The wind turbines will be located southwest of the new stadium, and aligned approximately parallel to Bonnie Brae Street. The turbines will be on the east side of Bonnie Brae.

Design and construction of the turbines is expected to begin immediately. At its November meeting, the UNT System Board of Regents selected HKS DesignGreen for the design of the turbines and supporting structure. The construction manager will be selected shortly, according to Raynard Kearbey, UNT System associate vice chancellor for system facilities, whose team is overseeing design and construction of the stadium and wind turbines.

Scheduled to open in September 2011, the new 28,000 seat stadium will feature luxury suites, an amenity-filled club level, and a Spirit Store." dry.gif

Thanks. Makes me feel better about the parking situation and the forethought that went into these things.

I would love to see a cost/benefit analysis on the turbines for the 1st year of use.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

What's worse? $2M grant for a new technology that may be beneficial and will provide valuable research for the future, or a $2M tax break to industries recording record profits? If one is a waste of taxpayer monies, so is the other.

And let's not act like coal mining and drilling don't have any negative impacts on the enironment, aren't loud and don't take away valuable wilderness.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 4

What's worse? $2M grant for a new technology that may be beneficial and will provide valuable research for the future, or a $2M tax break to industries recording record profits? If one is a waste of taxpayer monies, so is the other.

And let's not act like coal mining and drilling don't have any negative impacts on the enironment, aren't loud and don't take away valuable wilderness.

Don't think there is any coal mining or drilling going on less than 1/4 of a mile from the new Mean Green Stadium...

But, GMG...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

they will not be next to the stadium. they will be beside the practice fields fence along bonnie brae.

http://untsystem.unt...tadium-wind.htm

"The wind turbines will be located southwest of the new stadium, and aligned approximately parallel to Bonnie Brae Street. The turbines will be on the east side of Bonnie Brae.

Design and construction of the turbines is expected to begin immediately. At its November meeting, the UNT System Board of Regents selected HKS DesignGreen for the design of the turbines and supporting structure. The construction manager will be selected shortly, according to Raynard Kearbey, UNT System associate vice chancellor for system facilities, whose team is overseeing design and construction of the stadium and wind turbines.

Scheduled to open in September 2011, the new 28,000 seat stadium will feature luxury suites, an amenity-filled club level, and a Spirit Store." <_<

This is what we were told at a recent visit. They aren't right by the stadium and should affect tailgates lots. But they are big and will seem close to the stadium anyway. It will look cool and be very different, and another unique thing about this great stadium.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm right there with you. I need the exact coordinates for these heathen machines to ensure that I never come in contact with the same air they use to power the grid. Otherwise my game day experience may be ruined.

Nope, but dead birds falling on you can damn sure ruin a tailgate. Do some research... or just trust blindly, your choice.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1