Vito Blog On Coach Mac

UNTLifer

MGB

I like the blog.. he nailed it.

McCarney had to do alot with little at I-State in order to succeed... and he did. The advantage you guys have this time around is the fact that the gap between good and great teams in the SBC is smaller than the gap between the haves and have nots in the B12.

Mac got us to the point where we were playing the last conference game of the season for the B12 North title TWICE in a row. We lost both in overtime but the fact of the matter is he had us in that position in the first place. He went 6-6 against Iowa. I take issue with the comment that I-State is a second tier football school, but that's for a different day. In 2002 we climbed all the way to number 9 in both polls. We went 7-5 in 2005, with four of those losses on the road in overtime (including Nebraska), then lost the bowl game, 27 - 24 against TCU in Houston. The bottom line is that we were WAY more competitive than people gave us credit for. That all points back to Mac.

UNT is going to be on top of the SBC in no time at all. You guys have all of the pieces to win it. Helluva coach, new stadium, fertile recruiting grounds....

• Upvote 3

I agree with Vito's take on McCarney, as well. It simply cannot be overstated what he did at IState, and lots of people in the media and in general college fandom really didn't pay close enough attention to that program during his years there to really appreciate what he was doing at the time.

I'm still blown away that UNT got him. Not that they couldn't--simply that they DID it. Very excited to see the results in a year or two.

I like the blog.. he nailed it.

McCarney had to do alot with little at I-State in order to succeed... and he did. The advantage you guys have this time around is the fact that the gap between good and great teams in the SBC is smaller than the gap between the haves and have nots in the B12.

Mac got us to the point where we were playing the last conference game of the season for the B12 North title TWICE in a row. We lost both in overtime but the fact of the matter is he had us in that position in the first place. He went 6-6 against Iowa. I take issue with the comment that I-State is a second tier football school, but that's for a different day. In 2002 we climbed all the way to number 9 in both polls. We went 7-5 in 2005, with four of those losses on the road in overtime (including Nebraska), then lost the bowl game, 27 - 24 against TCU in Houston. The bottom line is that we were WAY more competitive than people gave us credit for. That all points back to Mac.

UNT is going to be on top of the SBC in no time at all. You guys have all of the pieces to win it. Helluva coach, new stadium, fertile recruiting grounds....

in fairness...Brett was merely insinuating that Iowa is traditionally a better team "Iowa State is the second-tier football school in the state and was a terrible program before McCarney got there"

I ran into a former player about three weeks ago, who played for Coach Dickey and Dodge, and he was excited, after speaking with many of the players, what Coach McCarney has brought to the program.

Personally, I was one who wanted Coach Canalles to be promoted to H.C. but I am glad that NT spent the money for a quality coach who kept many of the quality men on Coach Dodge's staff.

What I heard from Isaic Thomas and how Coach McCarney presents himself and with the current talent NT should surprise a lot of teams. Given over the last several years NT lost many games by a touchdown or less and with the current motivation from the players, if this former player is correct in his assumption, then NT may win a whole bunch of games. Seven or eight would be nice.

Still, I think the best part of the blog entry was his pointing out how ABSOLUTELY SILLY AND STUPID IT IS TO DEMEAN THE ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF DICKEY'S TEAMS!!!

Vito purposely stirs that pot time and again. I think we would all agree that the four year run was a good one. We all enjoyed it; we all appreciated it. I can't think of anyone on this board who has demeaned the ability of the players from '01-04. But Vito has no sense of UNT's history prior to Darrell Dickey, and his praise specifically of Dickey is excessive.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I was a student during that time. Thank Darrell Dickey for my support of both Football, Basketball (along with TTG) and all things UNT. Had BK, Don McGee, Cam Spencer, Chris Hurd and all that defensive Awasomeness not happened, I might not be a fan currently. I might have, but I LOVE that it happened, whether you all do or not.

Dickey's Offensive gameplan might have been terrible. But, terrible produced NATIONAL rushing champs, Sun Belt Championships, and New Orleans Bowl Trips. I can't tell any of you enough that didn't attend during the early to mid 2000's how much it helped.

I was a student during that time. Thank Darrell Dickey for my support of both Football, Basketball (along with TTG) and all things UNT. Had BK, Don McGee, Cam Spencer, Chris Hurd and all that defensive Awasomeness not happened, I might not be a fan currently. I might have, but I LOVE that it happened, whether you all do or not.

Dickey's Offensive gameplan might have been terrible. But, terrible produced NATIONAL rushing champs, Sun Belt Championships, and New Orleans Bowl Trips. I can't tell any of you enough that didn't attend during the early to mid 2000's how much it helped.

You took the words right out of my keyboard.

I also have a man crush on Hall to this day.

Vito has covered two NT coaches; he liked one, disliked the other. I will say, if Vito had reported racial problems on the DD squad; I bet he would have got a lot worse out of Dickey then he did from Dodge.

Dodge as should be apparent to anyone was not ready to coach at this level. Dickey was a good on the field coach who greatly benefited from one extraordinary recruiting class. Dickey's attitude would eventually kill any program. That "us versus everyone mentality" may work short time but that and one of the laziness recruiting approaches ever, doomed his career as a head coach.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

Cam Spencer played for Dickey? Wow.

Cam, Cody, whatever. He's on a roll. Let's just go with it.

What precipitated the attack on Pearl Harbor? Do you think the Germans woke up one day and said, for no reason, let us attack the Americans? Please think about it.

Vito has covered two NT coaches, he liked one disliked the other. I will said if Vito had reported racial problems on the DD squad, I bet he would have got a lot worse out of Dickey then he did from Dodge.

Dodge as should be apparent to anyone was not ready to coach at this level. Dickey was a good on the field coach who greatly benefited from one extraordinary recruiting class. Dickey's attitude would eventurally kill any program. That us versus everyone may work short time but that and one of the laziness recruiting approaches ever, doomed his career as a head coach.

Exactly.