Metroplex Basketball Ante Up

GrandGreen

No offense, but it would be regarded as a bad loss for SMU, far more than a good win. That's the reality of losing to a team in a less profile conference, unless they are a mid major that might as well be a high, see Memphis, Butler, Gonzaga etc. You guys can destroy SMUs schedule all day, and for good reason, but the goal needs to be more high mids and high majors. They're just going to dump the D2 type teams for low low majors anyway. Those are scheduled to be Ws, so they are going to schedule teams they can beat w/those dates. They aren't going to ditch sure fire Ws for a 50/50 backyard brawl type game.

None taken. However you obvioulsy lack some common sense skills. Fact: UNT right now is a much better basketball program than SMU. Are both programs getting better?...sure. Those players have not stepped on the court yet though, so it doesn't matter for either of us. To illustrate the obvious, let me attempt a sort of "mascot metaphor":

UNT: Soaring Eagle

SMU: A little girls' gelded mini-horse covered from head to hoof in pink ribbons and glitter.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/ryan_rhoomes_long_journey_NYb81GQlT1Y0XrCuh7NHeJ

Kid turned down some better basketball schools to go to TCU. A sign of things to come or a one off?

Maybe it's because he and his coach don't have a concept of geography.

NIA Prep coach Rudy King lauded Rhoomes for his maturity and understanding of his ability. He said they looked at schools that not only would help foster his basketball ability, but prepare him for life. King also things T.C.U. could become a popular destination for city kids because it is close to a big city in Houston and offers them the opportunity to come home to play local Big East foes.

Rhoomes is a spring signee, far from a polished kid, and isn't even really a true Big East prospect. Bsed on the class at TCU, it's same day, same result. Everytime they sign someone, I chuckle a little. Its bad in Cowtown

I thought you would be posting this on TCU's forum.

• Upvote 1

That is true, but such a tournament could inform everyone else where we stand.

Qualifying for the NCAA Tournament does that fairly well. We've got the best chance to do that on a yr in/yr out basis from any other team in the metroplex. Helps in recruiting, perpeutates the cycle.

Metroplex hoops fans turn up around tourney time.

I'm all for watching us whoop our cross town rivals and enjoying the passion and electricity, but they need it more than we do.

• Upvote 1

That is true, but such a tournament could inform everyone else where we stand.

This is where I would say that I don't think we should play them because it would hurt our RPI, BUT that would mean we are scheduling someone other than the Southland and SWAC for our nonconference schedule.

It would be fun to whack the piss out of the private universities. It would be less fun to see SMU’s two dozen fans rush the court if they catch us on a bad night.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know why we at North Texas don't ever hold a

basketball tournament and have N.T., U.T.A., S.M.U., and T. C. U.

That would pull in T V coverage, lots of people in attendance,

and coverage of the media.

I have wondered this for a while, does anyone know why we don't

hold a tournament of some type?

• Upvote 2

$ ? I don't know , just a guess. I don't even think we've played in a tourny since we won the Lou Henson ( NMSU)

I really wish we would play in the Puerto Rico tip off , I'd make a vacation out of it

• Upvote 1

It is very complicated but know that neither TCU or SMU have it in their best interests to play us due to the strong potential of losing to us. The two teams have fashioned their own little DFW Rivalry (primarily football) and their basketball game brings less people than our weakest night at the Pit. We, of course, have our game with UTA but again....TCU and SMU don't want any tourney type action.

TCU has played UTA in 2006 and 2007 and was forced to Overtime on one game and Double Overtime on the other in order to squeek by wins on UTA.

Now SMU..........well I invite you to look at their Out of Conference Game Schedule and see who they are playing. While we get pissed about having to play teams like Jackson St. and Panhandle St it would seem that SMU's fan base of 27 basketball fans are content with scheduling teams that are "sure wins" but therein lies the problem.......with SMU there is no such thing. Their win/loss percentage would be drastically more embarrassing if they didn't hit the court against the likes of:

Some of the OOC Games for 2010 SMU:

- UC Riverside

-Portland State

-Lamar

-Wayland Baptist (No shame there)

-Central Arkansas

-McMurray

-Alabama State

-Southeast Missouri State

-Dallas Christian

and I wouldn't be surprised if they had an exhibition match against Devry's Ladies of the Wrench Squad.

The gutless face that SMU's basketball program sports is nothing to be proud of and while I would congratulate them on a solid class this year.....that's all fine and dandy and when those players are seeing the home-stitched jerseys of Wayland Baptist across from them on the court then they will know that terms like "glory" and "honor" do not exist in the Moody Colosseum and that they made a big mistake.

The only reason that SMU's RPI is lower than ....oh say Alabama State...is because they are forced to play against other CUSA opponents. If they had it their way....the would continue on with playing Devry.

No offense, but it would be regarded as a bad loss for SMU, far more than a good win. That's the reality of losing to a team in a less profile conference, unless they are a mid major that might as well be a high, see Memphis, Butler, Gonzaga etc. You guys can destroy SMUs schedule all day, and for good reason, but the goal needs to be more high mids and high majors. They're just going to dump the D2 type teams for low low majors anyway. Those are scheduled to be Ws, so they are going to schedule teams they can beat w/those dates. They aren't going to ditch sure fire Ws for a 50/50 backyard brawl type game.

If your team can't even beat UALR, TCU, LA Tech, Northeastern and more (just in the last year or two) then how in the heck are you going to look playing against one of the BCS teams in an OOC game? Your comment just doesn't make any sense X......"so....we will continue to play crap teams and squeak by.....but we won't play a mid-major that is in our backyard"......roger that.

If your team can't even beat UALR, TCU, LA Tech, Northeastern and more (just in the last year or two) then how in the heck are you going to look playing against one of the BCS teams in an OOC game? Your comment just doesn't make any sense X......"so....we will continue to play crap teams and squeak by.....but we won't play a mid-major that is in our backyard"......roger that.

It's all about perception at SMU and they do not like anyone trying to impose reality. See, if they act like they are big dogs then they can see themselves as big dogs even if everyone else sees them as the toy poodle they really are.

Of course Eagles can eat toy poodles... :devil:

First off, it was a one year scheduling thing, next year should be better, and the year before was decent(A&M, South Florida, UNLV, College of Charleston, Northeastern etc. SMU needs 2 or 3 high majors on the schedule, 3 or so better mid majors, and D1 low major gimmes. Hate on the program all you want, but from a roster & system stand point, they've turned the corner.

Next year, one ofthe mids on the schedule is New Mexico and rumors of Creighton swirl, so the schedule will bump up.

You want a Metroplex Tourney, make it for charity, and then whomever doesn't want in, looks bad. That's what happened at the BB&T in DC. Georgetown and Maryland hate each other, but Maryland can't say no to local charity and plays this awful backyard brawl of a tourney every year. Gtown won't play, so john Feinstein just kills them in the press. Create enough crap press, maybe a big boy starts to care about UNTs wants and needs, until then, no.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

You want a Metroplex Tourney, make it for charity, and then whomever doesn't want in, looks bad. That's what happened at the BB&T in DC. Georgetown and Maryland hate each other, but Maryland can't say no to local charity and plays this awful backyard brawl of a tourney every year. Gtown won't play, so john Feinstein just kills them in the press. Create enough crap press, maybe a big boy starts to care about UNTs wants and needs, until then, no.

SMU cares about charity?!?!?!?! :o

First off, it was a one year scheduling thing, next year should be better, and the year before was decent(A&M, South Florida, UNLV, College of Charleston, Northeastern etc. SMU needs 2 or 3 high majors on the schedule, 3 or so better mid majors, and D1 low major gimmes. Hate on the program all you want, but from a roster & system stand point, they've turned the corner.

Next year, one ofthe mids on the schedule is New Mexico and rumors of Creighton swirl, so the schedule will bump up.

were you referring to SMU here? :lol:

If you are referring to SMU as the "big boy" in your scenario, then you are as dumb as you sound. I don't know many self-proclaimed "big boys" that get 1,000 fans on a good night, when the so-called little guy draws over 4,000 nightly. Say what you want, but SMU just lost the best player they have had in forever and was .500 against division one teams. The only corner you have turned is from bad to mediocre, congratulations.

Edited by glick1980
  • Upvote 5

If you are referring to SMU as the "big boy" in your scenario, then you are as dumb as you sound. I don't know many self-proclaimed "big boys" that get 1,000 fans on a good night, when the so-called little guy draws over 4,000 nightly. Say what you want, but SMU just lost the best player they have had in forever and was .500 against division one teams. The only corner you have turned is from bad to mediocre, congratulations.

Since the NCAA for tournament purposes only counts wins against top 50 teams and UNT was 0-1 last season and TCU & SMU are nowhere to be found in the top 50

- why play them at all at any time??