Lachris Has Moved To Otackle

Harry

Antonio also being looked at otackle.

Adeipe starting at left tackle.

Feeley left guard.

Jj at center.

Fortenberry at right guard and Tomlinson at rtackle.

Intense and fast moving first practice. More thought and observations later. GMG reporting from Denton.

McCoy needs to be at DE. Cantley and Abbey need to step up at DT!

Coach Mac disagrees with you on McCoy.

McCoy played at both defensive end and defensive tackle last year, but will be a tackle for good now that McCarney has taken over the program.

“He is not a Division I end,” McCarney said. “He will not play a snap at end this year. We watched tape of him last year and he was totally out of position at defensive end.”

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Downvote 1

Coach Mac disagrees with you on McCoy.

McCoy played at both defensive end and defensive tackle last year, but will be a tackle for good now that McCarney has taken over the program.

“He is not a Division I end,” McCarney said. “He will not play a snap at end this year. We watched tape of him last year and he was totally out of position at defensive end.”

I find it curious that Coach Mac would say that; since it was Nelson' d-line last year.....whatever happened to Nelson after they fired TD?

Unless McCoy has added some serious weight, no way he should be playing DT at the major college level. He was our pass rush last year on many occassions. I hope DMac isn't deferring to Nelson on this. It's not like he said "Well, because of circumstances, we are going to have to play McCoy at DT." He said that McCoy was a major college DT, not DE.

That is a pretty ballsy statement, considering everything we know about McCoy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Who's team is it anyway guys (ie.who is the coach- not you). I am guessing by your posts above if he follows your thinking how many more games will we win next year if he called you and got directions before working with the men we have at this time?

I wish him luck taking over this team. He certainly will need it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Unless McCoy has added some serious weight, no way he should be playing DT at the major college level. He was our pass rush last year on many occassions. I hope DMac isn't deferring to Nelson on this. It's not like he said "Well, because of circumstances, we are going to have to play McCoy at DT." He said that McCoy was a major college DT, not DE.

That is a pretty ballsy statement, considering everything we know about McCoy.

If he is the 3 technique, which I assume he is, he is going to need to only gain about 15-20 lbs. which is certainly doable. Last year we had two guys who had 1 technique skills playing the 1 and 3 technique, and that is why we didn't get a good pash rush up the middle. I think he will do fine at tackle. With Cantly and Abbe at the 1 technique we should be ok there, and at the 3 technique McCoy should be able to generate a pash rush up the middle. We don't know what these guys new weight are this year yet so until I do, I am going to assume that the staff has the guys on a plan to be at the correct weight for their positions.

Edited by glick1980
  • Upvote 3

Was the practice intense and fast moving?

Yes, it was. It began with Coach Mac having them run onto the playing field. The coaching staff had rigged a large numerical digital display in the stands. When the horn sounded ending one session, the display would exhibit a number and the players went immediately to that drill. No lost time as they ran to the next drill. They didn't even have to be prodded by the coaches.

LaChris sure could be used at DT. Other than White, Abbe, McCoy, and Cantly who do we have???

Anyiam seems too injury prone for a defensive lineman. As to help, I'm hoping that Brooks and Thompson are good enough to make the two deep.

Edited by GrayEagle

If he is the 3 technique, which I assume he is, he is going to need to only gain about 15-20 lbs. which is certainly doable. Last year we had two guys who had 1 technique skills playing the 1 and 3 technique, and that is why we didn't get a good pash rush up the middle. I think he will do fine at tackle. With Cantly and Abbe at the 1 technique we should be ok there, and at the 3 technique McCoy should be able to generate a pash rush up the middle. We don't know what these guys new weight are this year yet so until I do, I am going to assume that the staff has the guys on a plan to be at the correct weight for their positions.

Hope you don't confuse folks with your on point analysis...

Thanks...

• Upvote 1

Great analysis!

I'll let Coach Mac (30 years coaching experience) and Coach Nelson (41 years coaching experience) make those decisions.

How dare you. You know this board has folks who know much more tha the coaches about what should or should not be done. :ph34r:

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Bigger as a general rule is better in football, but there are far more important aspects. Skill, quickness, determination and intelligence are all traits that also factor into the makeup of a good football player. I think back to all those fears of little Gill at offensive tackle by fans ignoring the fact that he could play and had beaten out a lot of much bigger players. Troy last year defensive ends were 6'2 250 and 6'4 245, dts were 6' 252 and 6'3 288. FIU des were 6'1 226 and 6'3 231, dts were 6'2 272 and 6'2 268. The two best teams in the belt didn't exactly have giants playing in the defensive line. The Muts the other Belt bowl team went 6'3 231, 6'2 272, 6'6 275 and 6'1 226 across the defensive line. Almost any combination of defensive linemen NT comes up with will be of comparable size or bigger. Boutwell and McCoy will probably both gain weight and the other DT's White, Cantly Abbe and the two freshmen are all larger than any of the dts listed from the three Belt team.

I am much more concerned that we have little experience at dt rather than lack of size.

• Upvote 3

Bigger as a general rule is better in football, but there are far more important aspects. Skill, quickness, determination and intelligence are all traits that also factor into the makeup of a good football player. I think back to all those fears of little Gill at offensive tackle by fans ignoring the fact that he could play and had beaten out a lot of much bigger players. Troy last year defensive ends were 6'2 250 and 6'4 245, dts were 6' 252 and 6'3 288. FIU des were 6'1 226 and 6'3 231, dts were 6'2 272 and 6'2 268. The two best teams in the belt didn't exactly have giants playing in the defensive line. The Muts the other Belt bowl team went 6'3 231, 6'2 272, 6'6 275 and 6'1 226 across the defensive line. Almost any combination of defensive linemen NT comes up with will be of comparable size or bigger. Boutwell and McCoy will probably both gain weight and the other DT's White, Cantly Abbe and the two freshmen are all larger than any of the dts listed from the three Belt team.

I am much more concerned that we have little experience at dt rather than lack of size.

Thanks for putting it into perspective....I always wondered how the DLine rated (size wise) against other SB Teams.