http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2011/03/02/gold-hits-new-high/

here is what i gleen from the article:

people have been purchasing gold because they are afraid of the economy.

appears that all of the arab world is in chaos...oh yea, that is where we get our oil.

the u.s. dollar is "third world."

Okay, so they are buying more gold and what a shock, much of our oil comes from the Middle East. Oh no, what another shock. What I don't get is your "the U.S. Dollar is third world" bit. Believe me, I know what third world currency is worth, and we're far from that. Then again, let's just keep trying to scare people, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Okay, so they are buying more gold and what a shock, much of our oil comes from the Middle East. Oh no, what another shock. What I don't get is your "the U.S. Dollar is third world" bit. Believe me, I know what third world currency is worth, and we're far from that. Then again, let's just keep trying to scare people, right?

Works well for the DC Politicians so why not in the average Joe world. :thumbsu:

• Upvote 2

My friends, we do have to face a new reality. The dollar no longer controls oil, oil controls the dollar.

The Middle East now stands at the shores of the Rubicon. We wanted them to modernize, we wanted them to throw off their dictatorial rule and join the rest of the world in embracing democracy. Well, now we're going to get it and all of the unintended consequences that come with it.

The world economy is standing on the edge of a knife. I think this is NOT the time to grow government. This is the time to tighten our budgets and take a long hard look at what our priorities are. Social programs and safety nets are noble goals when times are good - but we cannot afford that right now. We need to build roads, educate our kids, and ensure critical services are funded. Everything else needs to be cut until we get through this crisis.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

My friends, we do have to face a new reality. The dollar no longer controls oil, oil controls the dollar.

The Middle East now stands at the shores of the Rubicon. We wanted them to modernize, we wanted them to throw off their dictatorial rule and join the rest of the world in embracing democracy. Well, now we're going to get it and all of the unintended consequences that come with it.

The world economy is standing on the edge of a knife. I think this is NOT the time to grow government. This is the time to tighten our budgets and take a long hard look at what our priorities are. Social programs and safety nets are noble goals when times are good - but we cannot afford that right now. We need to build roads, educate our kids, and ensure critical services are funded. Everything else needs to be cut until we get through this crisis.

Actually sounds similiar to what the President said.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You need a geography lesson.

Flyer's analogy of the "Rubicon" is 100% correct. Perhaps you can reference the "meaning."

The U.S. is in a precarious melt down phase that our government may not be able to stop. Read the below and form your own opinion. Will all this happen and the president's own words of, (and i paraphrase from the original article in this post) we need to destroy the current system and rebuild another?

http://www.insight-info.com/articles/item.aspx?i=1465

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/03/01/was-financial-meltdown-the-result-of-economic-terrorism/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/pentagon-study-08-financial-crisis-may-have-been-the-work-of-finanical-terrorists/

reality is not pleasant but it is reality.

America's political corruption has become the strength of our enemies.

Edited by eulesseagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

So stupid that they cancelled that show. Since when has anything on AMC ever really depended on high ratings?

Loved that show...apparently the BBC picked it up.

Winston Smith would like a word...

This is what happens when you cut Texas public education funding.

So Texas does stand on the shores of the Rio Grande?

• Downvote 5

Flyer's analogy of the "Rubicon" is 100% correct. Perhaps you can reference the "meaning."

The U.S. is in a precarious melt down phase that our government may not be able to stop. Read the below and form your own opinion. Will all this happen and the president's own words of, (and i paraphrase from the original article in this post) we need to destroy the current system and rebuild another?

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/03/01/was-financial-meltdown-the-result-of-economic-terrorism/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/pentagon-study-08-financial-crisis-may-have-been-the-work-of-finanical-terrorists/

So you want us to read 2 outwardly conservative blogs and then read the website from the International Centre for Islamic Information? What the hell are you smoking? Are you serious?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This is what happens when you cut Texas public education funding.

+1; and thanks for reminding us that Texas public education funding is among programs proposed to be cut. In a way though, However, I find it hard to sympathize with the argument that we need to keep money going into the support of standardized testing. Some people, such as myself, are simply good at taking most standardized tests. People have different learning styles. I strongly disagree with the idea of increasing classroom size as a budget balancing move.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

+1; and thanks for reminding us that Texas public education funding is among programs proposed to be cut. In a way though, However, I find it hard to sympathize with the argument that we need to keep money going into the support of standardized testing. Some people, such as myself, are simply good at taking most standardized tests. People have different learning styles. I strongly disagree with the idea of increasing classroom size as a budget balancing move.

I was just piling on to tease Flyer a little bit. Hopefully he realizes he's not going to be on the Dallas City Council.

I am bringing geography flash cards to Hot Springs, though. If he really is struggling with his fundamentals, I will tutor him up so that he can dazzle the rest of the DENTON council with his geography knowledge.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I was just piling on to tease Flyer a little bit. Hopefully he realizes he's not going to be on the Dallas City Council.

I am bringing geography flash cards to Hot Springs, though. If he really is struggling with his fundamentals, I will tutor him up so that he can dazzle the rest of the DENTON council with his geography knowledge.

Pointing out the lack of knowledge of someone who has already been through the fully funded Texas educational system really isnt a good argument against cutting the funding for said system. :ass:

That said, Flyer wants to be a politician. How smart can he really be? ;)

• Upvote 2

Just saw a story that DISD is building a new school with geothermic heating/cooling systems. Is this what we need to be doing when we're laying off teachers?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just saw a story that DISD is building a new school with geothermic heating/cooling systems. Is this what we need to be doing when we're laying off teachers?

I get that it can reduce costs in the long run a great deal, so I see how that works. But I also wonder if this is the right time for that. I don't think it's a great idea when DISD (which is problematic to begin with) is about to lay off teachers, increase class sizes, and make things generally more difficult for everyone involved.

That said, I still think the real problem with education isn't the education system. I think the problem is mom and dad at home who see the student for far more time than the teacher ever will.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I get that it can reduce costs in the long run a great deal, so I see how that works. But I also wonder if this is the right time for that.

Read an article in the DaMN a few months ago about how DISD threw tons of dough into upgrading schools and building new ones precisely because the economy is down. You can get loads more bang for your buck if you're expanding during a recession instead of the opposite. I bet they're getting the geothermal system at half the price they will 5 years from now/before. And you're right, in the long run it'll save them loads of money.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

+1 again; I and all UNT geography graduates owe you for your efforts on behalf of our long ignored field of study. Of course, once Geographic Information Systems evolved into what it is now, someone will always have something for us to do. The politicians will wear us out with redistricting for the next 3 years.

• Upvote 1

China's currency is informally pegged to the US Dollar. An attack on USD by the Chinese will have the same exact effect on their own currency. And screw all of Europe, too. Also, China is much more worried about Russia (and vice versa) than anyone else. Those two ain't teaming up anytime soon.

all roads lead to Denton...right?

That's a true statement in a Denton-centric universe.

In the following link from Roy Orbison's official website bio, click on the link for the decade of the 1950's (left side), and scroll down to the second paragraph, where Dallas is referred to as "South-East" of Denton.

Roy Orbison's time in Denton

Of course, in a music-centric universe, Dallas would only be referred to by its location with respect to Denton.

Edited by eulessismore