Wac Targets Remain A Mystery

MeanGreen61

Sun Belt members North Texas and Louisiana-Lafayette have also been repeatedly mentioned as potential targets, even though the former has spurned WAC advances on numerous occasions, most recently last November. Four rival athletic directors said chatter about any potential defections has been non-existent.

MYSANANTONIO.COM

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/02/wac-targets-remain-a-mystery/

Edited by MeanGreen61

I'm sorry, what does that mean?

In order to defect you have to belong. That would mean that San Jose State, Utah State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State or UTSA have not talked about pulling out recently. Or, it could mean that just four of them haven't threatened to leave but others have.

Whatever the case they need to find at least one, preferably three, if they are to remain a viable (voting) conference. Suffice it to say we aren't going to be one of the newbies.

Edited by GrayEagle

Sun Belt members North Texas and Louisiana-Lafayette have also been repeatedly mentioned as potential targets, even though the former has spurned WAC advances on numerous occasions, most recently last November. Four rival athletic directors said chatter about any potential defections has been non-existent.

MYSANANTONIO.COM

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/02/wac-targets-remain-a-mystery/

My guess is that he (the other dmccarney) means that he talked to four other Sun Belt ADs, looking to find out if NT or ULL were looking to leave for the WAC.

I like the comments in the article blasting the current state of North Texas football as if UTSA is some sort of power.

If you have to explain it to those who would comment why North Texas is of less value to the conference at this point than Lamar then it's just not worth the time or energy.

Maybe it's just because Benson is incredibly stupid. If he's not smart enough to realize that North Texas brings nothing of value and yet he still pursues them then surely he's not smart enough to be commissioner. :blink:

I like the comments in the article blasting the current state of North Texas football as if UTSA is some sort of power.

This annoys me, too, especially since UTSA has yet to play one down of football, but it hits on two of the advantages that UTSA does have in this case. At UNT, we have had decades of losing (and apathy from fans and media) that hangs around our neck like kryptonite, which UTSA, as a newbie, doesn't have. Maybe they will go 0-12 every year going forward, but they don't have all of the losing to hang on their neck with the media and the fans, which leads to the other advantage they have on UNT. They have a big media market that actually has no local college (within Bexar County) team to cover, so they will get the benefit of the doubt from the San Antonio Express-News and their TV stations that we don't get currently from the DFW media.

I think that for us at UNT, the situation we are in now has a bright upside because we finally have a legitimate stadium and a legitimate coach. We haven't had a combination of the two most important parts to college football these days (facilities and coaching) before, which makes most of us feel very excited about our future. We should be able to parlay this into much bigger success than we have seen in a while, especially since we are in the SBC. But, if for some reason, we don't see any winning come forward in the next 5 years and McCarney doesn't make it, I will really begin to wonder if we will can have sustained success here.

• Upvote 1

This annoys me, too, especially since UTSA has yet to play one down of football, but it hits on two of the advantages that UTSA does have in this case. At UNT, we have had decades of losing (and apathy from fans and media) that hangs around our neck like kryptonite, which UTSA, as a newbie, doesn't have. Maybe they will go 0-12 every year going forward, but they don't have all of the losing to hang on their neck with the media and the fans, which leads to the other advantage they have on UNT. They have a big media market that actually has no local college (within Bexar County) team to cover, so they will get the benefit of the doubt from the San Antonio Express-News and their TV stations that we don't get currently from the DFW media.

I think that for us at UNT, the situation we are in now has a bright upside because we finally have a legitimate stadium and a legitimate coach. We haven't had a combination of the two most important parts to college football these days (facilities and coaching) before, which makes most of us feel very excited about our future. We should be able to parlay this into much bigger success than we have seen in a while, especially since we are in the SBC. But, if for some reason, we don't see any winning come forward in the next 5 years and McCarney doesn't make it, I will really begin to wonder if we will can have sustained success here.

San Antonio already has a college team. It's called the University of Texas, which will ALWAYS preceed UTSA in media coverage and fan interest in San Antonio.

We have had niether component for the last 10+ years. Let's hope we have both now.

• Upvote 1

“In my conversations with Karl, I have not heard Lamar or Sam Houston State mentioned as primary targets. I think their intention is to go after current FBS programs. Like I’ve said before, that could all change tomorrow. (What FBS school would desert a more stable conference to joing the new-wac group.......Benson has gotta be dreamin')

Lamar, SHS not primary WAC targets

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/02/lamar-shs-not-primary-wac-targets/

“In my conversations with Karl, I have not heard Lamar or Sam Houston State mentioned as primary targets. I think their intention is to go after current FBS programs. Like I’ve said before, that could all change tomorrow. (What FBS school would desert a more stable conference to joing the new-wac group.......Benson has gotta be dreamin')

Lamar, SHS not primary WAC targets

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/02/lamar-shs-not-primary-wac-targets/

That leaves very few candidates within/near the WAC footprint.

Time to get out the Benson Spray.

31E2tjgXf-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2

San Antonio already has a college team. It's called the University of Texas, which will ALWAYS preceed UTSA in media coverage and fan interest in San Antonio.

We have had niether component for the last 10+ years. Let's hope we have both now.

DFW is a UT (and OU, A&M, and Tech) town, too, if you want to look at it that way, but SMU gets lots of coverage in the DMN and TCU gets lots of coverage in the FWST. Both private schools always get mentioned in both football and men's hoops on local TV sports coverage, no matter who they play. In Houston, Texas and A&M both have the most attention, but UH and Rice get plenty of coverage from the Houston Chronicle and the other local TV stations. We got the DRC, which feeds the DMN some stuff, but it is minimal, to say the least, and our local TV coverage in DFW is, well, not much. All I am saying is that UTSA doesn't have the issue that we have with media coverage. Maybe it won't matter a hill of beans, but they have something that we don't have. It COULD be an advantage for them, if they play their cards right.

The only mystery is why someone would want to join the WAC.

Utah State and San Jose are lobbying to get out. The teams they keep asking to join have repeatedly said no thanks. Who wants to be the third choice in a conference with 1 bowl tie in and is still at risk of breaking out.

DFW is a UT (and OU, A&M, and Tech) town, too, if you want to look at it that way, but SMU gets lots of coverage in the DMN and TCU gets lots of coverage in the FWST. Both private schools always get mentioned in both football and men's hoops on local TV sports coverage, no matter who they play. In Houston, Texas and A&M both have the most attention, but UH and Rice get plenty of coverage from the Houston Chronicle and the other local TV stations. We got the DRC, which feeds the DMN some stuff, but it is minimal, to say the least, and our local TV coverage in DFW is, well, not much. All I am saying is that UTSA doesn't have the issue that we have with media coverage. Maybe it won't matter a hill of beans, but they have something that we don't have. It COULD be an advantage for them, if they play their cards right.

UNT doesn't get media attention because, quite frankly, we don't beat anyone who matters. UTSA will be in the same boat for a very, very long time. Our wins over LaLa, ULM, and the rest of the belt are a big so what to the DFW area. UTSA's wins over Cal-Polyurethane and the like will generate just as little interest. Beat someone, and people will pay attention.

This basketball team got some nice attention after the Tech and LSU victories. More victories like these will lead to pblicity for the little Mean Green. Beat Houston on 9/10, and see how much pub we get in the area.

As far as classifying all of DFW as UT, OU and the like fans, well, I certainly agree with you on that duchebag hole known as Dallas, but Fort Worth has moved solidly behind TCU.

• Upvote 1

UNT doesn't get media attention because, quite frankly, we don't beat anyone who matters. UTSA will be in the same boat for a very, very long time. Our wins over LaLa, ULM, and the rest of the belt are a big so what to the DFW area. UTSA's wins over Cal-Polyurethane and the like will generate just as little interest. Beat someone, and people will pay attention.

This basketball team got some nice attention after the Tech and LSU victories. More victories like these will lead to pblicity for the little Mean Green. Beat Houston on 9/10, and see how much pub we get in the area.

As far as classifying all of DFW as UT, OU and the like fans, well, I certainly agree with you on that duchebag hole known as Dallas, but Fort Worth has moved solidly behind TCU.

See, I didn't really feel like those basketball victories over Tech or LSU registered that much with any DFW media outlet, but neither of those teams are very good this year in hoops so that didn't move the needle much. If we could have given Kansas a game in the 2nd half in Lawrence, that would have gotten attention--even if we had lost.

All of this is to say, that you are right about the wins, especially in King Football, over SBC teams just doesn't register with the local media or the fanbase, for that matter. If next year, we beat UH, then that would at least get some attention from the local media outlets. The only problem there is that with this being McCarney's first team, a less-than-settled QB situation here, and the fact that Houston will probably be the CUSA favorite next year, a win over them seems pretty far-fetched right now. I still think they were a great choice for the stadium opener, but we just aren't at their level (with a presumably healthy Case keenum) yet. We'll see. And by the way, I'm from Ft. Worth, and the town has gotten behind TCU big time, but Gary Patterson will be the first to tell you that FW is not a TCU town. They just don't have the enrollment or alumni base to keep up with the huge public schools within a 5 hour drive.

Edited by untjim1995

utsa is a commuter school, which is what we were in the 60's, and what uta still is. i would think they have minimal dorm space, and attract older students who work their way through college. this setting is not condusive to devoeloping a sense of "belonging", something we have struggled with for decades. i have a hard time believing they will be an overnight success as regards community support. by the same token, i wish them well. it would be nice if we had an intra state rival such as them or texas st., who i think could be more successful in the long run.

The DFW market is not a UT or any other university market. For the Dallas Morning News it is a Big XII market. The conference office is in Plano and spends a lot of advertising dollars with them so they get the big play even though none of their colleges are in the market area. Also, the ESPN and Fox outlets in the area have the big contracts with the Big XII so they are going to give them dominance. Couple that with the fact that North Texas seldom does anything newsworthy and you can see why we get little publicity.

I believe that for us to make a major impact in this market we must 1) have ten win seasons or better, 2) advance to another conference, 3) recruit heavily in the DFW market, 4) increase advertising with the DMN and the FWST and 5) have some noteworthy players such as Lance Dunbar to herald. Then you will see formerly taciturn North Texas fans emerge from the woodwork.

• Upvote 3