I keep thinking Dallas is getting its act together, and then something like this takes place. In the name of all that is holey, what in the world possessed Caraway to do something like this? Stupid is as stupid does, and this is BIG TIME stupid. That guy is the Mayor Pro-Tem of the City (thank goodness he has said he is not running for Mayor in the next election), and he is a "leader" for the City. I cannot imagine a more stupid act to follow up all the NFL and Jerry Jones greed grab Super Bowl event. I know the Super Bowl wasn't in Dallas per se, but the nation thinks it was, and that's all that matters here for the time being. Good grief, is there some cloud over Dallas and have the aliens taken over the city leadership????

STUPID is the best thing I can say about Vick and his non-official key to the City of Dallas. Facepalms all the way around!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"This weekend, a top Dallas official gave the Philadelphia Eagles' Michael Vick the key to his city. On Monday, the city's mayor demanded the key back from Vick.

The center of the controversy involves Dallas Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway, who awarded Vick the city's highest honor at a dinner on Saturday night. Caraway is effectively the vice mayor of the city that hosted the Super Bowl.

On Monday, Dallas Mayor Tom Leppert said Caraway didn't have the power to honor Vick."

Has Dallas Mayor Insulted Michael Vick?

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I like that the excuse is that "Kids will listen to him. He's an athlete they look up to", ignoring that that is precisely the problem. I remember these sorts of speeches as a kid, and I used to make fun of them, especially when they came from people who still enjoyed success. Motivational speakers fail. Why? If they aren't successful, why would you listen to them? If they ARE successful, then their evils haven't cost them dearly.

The only message children will ever get from Michael Vick is that ultimately, his crimes had no significant downside. If you're a famous athlete, you can get what you want. Vick lost some time to prison (which is no small thing), but nobody spent two years worth of Sundays watching Vick in prison, and even if they did, they wouldn't remember it now. He's a millionaire playing a kid's game for a living. Crime pays. This is the message furthered by anyone who attempts to prop him up.

There are people in Dallas working every day making the city a better place for kids and adults. If fame is required, there are a number of Cowboys who do this, either as part of their NFL charity work or separately. Many former players call the area their home and still do the work, for very little personal benefit. There are also numerous teammates of Michael Vick who are not ex-cons (and possibly never murdered, tortured, or mutilated anything or anyone), and would gladly accept an invitation.

I just don't get it. But what's frightening to me is that the jackwagon who gave him is clueless. It would be one thing to realize afterward that he'd made a mistake. But he continues to defend this stupidity.

I do like that they're saying it's not a REAL key to the city, as if the one the mayor hands out unlocks every door in town.

Edited by Monkeypox
  • Downvote 1

Rudy, the "good news" is that the clown has said he will not run for Mayor. He would be interim Mayor if Leppert stepped down to run for the US Senate. Let's all hope the clown keeps his word and doesn't run. The "keeping his word" might be a bit hard for him, but we can all hope.