Played Ball With Tony Mitchell Last Night

sparkmank

Years ago I watched some teams playing at a Rec center in el paso. On of the guys was tearing it up, just dancing circles around the defense and wreaking havoc on the other end too. Apparently, he was a year removed from finishing up at NMSU as a role player. Didn't catch his name.

It's easy to criticize from the stands, but when you stand on the same court it really is a sight to see. The college Bball game is chalk full if incredible athletes. Even the shortest guy on the floor stands 4 - 5 inches taller than the average person.

Cool post.

I was the friend with sparkman, and there is a couple corrections I'd like to make, but won't. you know what I'm talking about, Kevin.

However, about Tony Mitchell. Not only is he huge, but imagine someone like Kedrick Hogans handling the ball like Josh White or Domo. His handles are something few have commented on, and I'm here to say I was taken by surprise! Not only that, he can hit a 3 ball from anywhere he wants. From beyond NBA range, the kid would consistently knock them down anytime I would kick it out to him. His stride is impeccable. His speed is deceiving. He was getting around smaller (6'0) guards from behind the free throw line in TWO STRIDES! a kid actually called traveling, but then revoked his statement when he realized how long Tony's stride REALLY is. Not only that, NOBODY COULD SCORE ON HIM! His defense was outstanding! He is EASILY the best basketball player I have EVER played with/seen play, outside of the NBA. This kid is remarkable, and I CANNOT WAIT to see him in a MEAN GREEN uniform next December.

Also, it was really nice to see Kedrick up there encouraging his future teammate. He walked onto the court and said, "there's my teammate! my bro! it's great to see him up here!" after our 4th straight win, Tony went and sat next to Ked, and they left the gym together talking about the basketball team, class, and other things. I was quite delighted to see Ked supporting Tony like that. Once again, I CAN'T WAIT to see our team next year! GMG GMG GMG!

• Upvote 4

One of the neatest things in sports to me is how far above joe six-pack the average athlete is. Seeing them play against mere mortals gives you a whole new appreciation for the game.

The Ticket has a fine tradition of using pro and recently pro athletes as ringers in their charity sports events. I just love watching guys like Herschel Walker, 10 years after retiring, get the ball in his hands and break guys ankles with his cuts. Jason Witten, a guy not known for his speed, was beating a regular guy deep in a half-dozen steps WITH a 10 yard cushion. Forget guys like Rocket Ismail, who beat a 30 yard cushion from some dude in coverage at the end of the half. Even a guy like Andy Blount makes ordinary folk look like they're running in sand.

These guys are just so much better than the average guy it is silly. I'll never forget watching hitter after hitter flail around uselessly at Mike Bascik's fastball, and he was, by pro standards, a middle/lower middle of the road guy.

Just amazing how talented these dudes are.

University of Houston icon & former BB coach Guy Lewis for several years had a so-so basketball program (not great--not bad) down in H-town until he recruited a kid from Rayville,(sp?) Louisiana named Elvin Hayes and WA-LA! suddenly the Houston Coogs' basketball program took off from there. Funny how great BB players make good coaches, uh, great coaches, right? :thumbsu:

I hope Tony Mitchell will be UNT Coach JJ's "Elvin Hayes" and help him really get his BB program synergized up to the next level. From a distance and football as my passion, I know most you BB guys are down now especially after the Denver loss, but Tony Mitchell (apparently) is the type of guy that can revolutionize Mean Green basketball to soaring heights never-ever seen before in Denton. Just sayin...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I know most you BB guys are down now especially after the Denver loss, but Tony Mitchell (apparently) is the type of guy that can revolutionize Mean Green basketball to soaring heights never-ever seen before in Denton. Just sayin...

That would require being patient enough for him to get on the floor, next year.

Your demands are unreasonable.

He should be playing now.

HS recruits should have graduated in December and eligible to help out this season.

Anything less is unacceptable.

Edited by FloMoGrad
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

PS: Kederick was there last night and we talked and i asked him what was up and he said our minds have been on the Tourney and we aint taking care of business. He also said he cant wait to prove all the haters wrong and told me a hot streak is coming.

I hope that's the case. Don't lump me in with the haters (not many on this board anyway), but he can prove me wrong. The team had an opportunity to finish with a god like record in the conference. I don't know how you can look past that.

It's pretty cool to see the bar being raised on almost a weekly basis around here. Expectations are growing as well. The outlook is not bad for the team, but some (myself included) would love to see this team nut up against sun belt competition. National Television is coming and now would be a great time.

Thanks for sharing, pretty damn cool. Wish I was still in and around Denton. I remember spending quite a bit a time the the brand new rec center as a student.

Everyone encourage him to hit the books and use his resources to help with his studies. It is awesome that he is going to be a basketball asset. I'd also like to see 100% of our basketball players get their degrees. One thing that sets us apart as a university and fans is that we care about the players and not just what they do for our enjoyment on the court. I think this also sets Coach Jones apart. Coach Jones cares about the kids and so do / should we. GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Depends on what ass yo referring to, kid.

Them scholly boys could protect the Pit but we wrecked that Rec.

HAHA who do you people think you are? Everyone on here acts like they are the S%$# at basketball what a joke. I am no longer a student but when I was there my boy Gene and Ced ran the courts I tagged a long and I do not remember any of you punks there. Shut your mouths

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

HAHA who do you people think you are? Everyone on here acts like they are the S%$# at basketball what a joke. I am no longer a student but when I was there my boy Gene and Ced ran the courts I tagged a long and I do not remember any of you punks there. Shut your mouths

Oh please...what is the point of this?

All I can say is Wow Skiver. Way to take the high ground. If this is what recent grads are like, it's a scary future.

Tag along. Trounce on others for taking pride and have some friendly banter back and forth. Then you drop in, unnvited, to tell everyone to shut the hell up.

To call anyone else who may have hooped at the Rec a punk is just myopic and uneducated.

Your post was a joke, boy.

Punks are those that hide behind a wall of anonymity, while name calling and grandstanding.

PS - GMG Bball game is coming up, Is mr Baller himself going to attend?

Edited by FloMoGrad

All I can say is Wow Skiver. Way to take the high ground. If this is what recent grads are like, it's a scary future.

Tag along. Trounce on others for taking pride and have some friendly banter back and forth. Then you drop in, unnvited, to tell everyone to shut the hell up.

To call anyone else who may have hooped at the Rec a punk is just myopic and uneducated.

Your post was a joke, boy.

Punks are those that hide behind a wall of anonymity, while name calling and grandstanding.

PS - GMG Bball game is coming up, Is mr Baller himself going to attend?

?? I guess I didn't see it this way? Trash talk was happening (however spirited), and Skiver contributed. :blink:

• Downvote 2

Am I the only one who wishes he was studying instead of hooping it up at the freaking rec center?

Just sayin...

There is not a single one of us who spent every free time studying, nor needed to. Tony is no exception. Show a bit of practicality here, people.

• Upvote 1